Status: active

Thick Blood

The beginning

The sun and the moon, they were complete opposites. The sun was bright and warm, although sometimes too warm; it left us out of breath and burned our fare skin. At times so much it was impossible for us to go out and play. The moon was beautiful, a light upon the darkness but it frighten us. To think that darkness could consume us, so beautiful but so frightening.
That’s how Fawn and I were, so different from each other you wouldn’t think that we were sisters if it was not for our similar faces. Fawn had dyed her hair black to be able to differentiate who we were; she looked so much more serene with her auburn hair. Although he character fit well with her new look, her facial expression became darker and when she showed me her new do I felt somewhat afraid because she was unrecognizable.

“Why are you looking at me like that?” she had asked

“Because-your hair, why fawn?”

“Because I hate that I look like you”

She constantly threw those words at me without remorse that they would injure my heart, I understood after time that she just hated being compared.
We sat in on the train silently, heading to area 9 were our aunt lived. She was to look after us from now on, our father was a veterinarian and he was always traveling to different locations to help the animals. He was currently in Africa, looking over an elephant named Kai which had been born blind due to the nuclear explosion.

Nine years ago, due to a huge solar storm the world was left without electricity due to the solar flares and no way or source to be put back this caused chaos amongst Europe and south America and the countries started another war, causing a nuclear explosion in northern Taiwan. Famine overtook our country wiping out a lot of people and places. When the war was taking place many generic diseases were spread out through the country and we were left to begin our life again but due to the lack of trust between the new government (F.A.T.P) and the people the areas were created. All of them sealed with iron walls, admitting only the healthy and the trust worthy. My mother was a doctor when the war was taking place, and she died while attending the Red Cross. This was very hard on our family but even more on my father who had gone through a very depressing stage after the event, causing me and my sister to fend for ourselves.

Now we were headed to my mother’s sister’s house, a woman neither of us remembered. Her name was the only thing we knew about her, Karen, but she knew us or so we thought she did because she had agreed to shelter us with opened arms as she had written on the reply letter to my father. She was supposed to pick us up at the health building of area 9, where we were to be checked for any unusual virus.

I tried to look around the train because I enjoyed watching people without them realizing they were being watched, the motion on their face when they were thinking to themselves spoke for them. But it was useless to try to look; due to all the people huddled beside me it was impossible to even breathe. I was paying attention to my breath more than usual, I knew I was claustrophobic and still rode the train. I was afraid the train would be too much to handle- and I was right but I could never tell Fawn I was afraid because she would laugh at me and tell me I was a wimp. I looked outside the window trying to forget the thought of panicking and noticed there was really nothing to look at but demolished buildings and houses, I saw a few animals roaming around trying to search for food and thought to myself how pitiful the looked realizing those animals resembled me, pitiful and hungry.
I decided to look at Fawn who was sitting in front of me; she was my favorite person to look at because you could never tell what she was thinking. At this moment she was falling asleep, her eyes were closing slowly but she kept opening them trying to defeat her distress. The key to looking at people is to look at something else, something in the same view so they would not notice you were looking at them but at the object besides them. Fawn knew I was looking at her though, she could always tell because she knew me so well.

“Stop staring freak,” she would say while punching my shoulder

The truth is I don’t know what it is about a clueless person that makes them so observable, so entertaining to look at. Fawn was wearing the same sweater she always loved since she was a kid; it was just plain dark blue with a pocket where the heart was located. Back then it was too big for her but now it was too small, when she leaned back or stretched you could see her flat tummy pocking out to say hello. The sweater was old and muddy now, it had several hole around the arm but it still looked good on Fawn, everything always looked good on her. I had braided her hair before coming on the train but it was already messy, the braid wasn’t even a braid anymore and some of her jet black hair was covering her face. Everything about Fawn was beautiful though, I wasn’t jealous of her though it was more of an admiring feeling I withheld.

“We will be arriving at the Health department, please make sure you do not leave any belongings behind or it will be confiscated” a woman in an all-black attired with an emblem of area 9 and F.A.T.P on her shirt shouted for all passengers to hear.

I nudged fawn and whispered for her to wake up, she jumped startled and opened her eyes blue eyes wide. It made me giggle but I tried to hold it back, we began to pick up our small bags from bellow our chairs and place them around our bodies, securing that nothing would fall out and stay behind. When the FATP confiscated your things, you could forget about getting them back for it was gone.

We entered a dark tunnel and then came out of it. The train came to a halt in front of a great iron building with a red cross painted on it and over it a big sign which said health. The doors began to open and people wrestled to get out. Fawn and I decided to wait until it wasn’t so crowded to begin walking out, and as it suddenly cleared out we began to walk outside and into the building where a man with an all-white doctor’s suit and mouth cover greeted us.

“If you would follow me please we will begin”