Slaves of the Moon

My Father's Enemies

There was a dip in the road. That was what brought me back to reality. It threw me up and then I came back down landing hard on my side. I groaned, more like tried to groan. I couldn’t open my mouth. There was something holding them together. I tried opening my eyes next only to realize that I was blindfolded. Then my arms. I was bound hand and foot. I was blindfolded and gagged. My memories flooded back as I reached for them. Kayne Volkov. The wolves. Cassie. Running. The crooked cops…if they were cops.

I could have cried. I wanted to panic. A lot of good it would have done me though and I knew that. That didn't mean I didn't want to do those things though. I would have loved to do those things actually, but I didn't. Instead I started thinking about how to get away. What they wanted with me? If they would kill me? At least Cassie was safe. There was no doubt in my mind that the Volkov brothers would protect my baby sister. I don't know how or why I knew this, but I did, and that thought made me feel a little better.

The car I was obviously in came to a stop. The panic that rose in me was enough to make me almost forget to breath. But I didn't forget. And I heard doors opening and slamming shut. Then someone opened the trunk. Hands grabbed my arms and legs lifting me out of what I assumed was the trunk. I didn't struggle. It wouldn't have done me any good. Even if they had dropped me, I'd only fall. They would be able to catch me again easily. That and I didn't know where I was. I couldn't see anything. So I whimpered against the gag instead. "Shut up," one of the men growled.

They took me inside of a building. It was amazing how much you could tell a thing even though you were deprived of sight completely. They set me in a chair and bound me to it. What I heard next was what I had least expected. "What's she doing here Maxus?" I stiffened. What was my father doing here? I wasn't at the jail. I was certain of it. So then...had they taken my father from the prison? How had they managed that?

"You're going to tell us what you did with that information Bryant." One of the men ordered." Because this time, if you don't, we start on your little red head. When we get through with her, we're going to get that cute little blonde of yours. You'll watch both of them die unless you tell us what we want to know."

My heart and stomach plummeted. I had hoped that they would forget about Cassie. I had had a feeling that I was going to die, but hearing it just solidified it. I was going to die here. My father couldn't give them what they wanted. Even if he had been able to, they would have just killed me afterward. They would kill my father too. I knew all of this without a doubt. Panic welled inside of me, but I beat it back. There was nothing I could do was there? I was trapped...just like my father.

"I already to you Maxus," my father almost groaned the words. "I don't have what you want. I destroyed it years ago."

I could hear the man named Maxus sigh. "Maybe if you look into your daughter's eyes the answer will come to you. What do you think?" No one gave my father the chance to answer. I was suddenly blinking trying to see in bright lights. It was hard at first. Finally I was able to see what I needed. My father was tied to a chair facing directly across from me. Men surrounded us in a circle. All of them wore full suits. All black. Except for one. He had taken his coat off. His shirt was midnight blue just like his pants and a pale blue tie. That was Maxus. There wasn't a doubt in my mind because he looked like the leader.

Maxus watched over to me and stroked my hair twice before wrapping my hair around his fist and yanking my head back. A muffled cry escaped the tape. "Maxus! I already told you! It's gone. I've got nothing to give you!"

I could see Maxus's smirk through the tears welling up in my eyes. "Then I guess your red head's going to die. Just remember, the blonde's next."
♠ ♠ ♠
Updated: Janurary 22, 2010