Slaves of the Moon

Not In My Eyes

"Emma!" Cassie called after her sister, but his brothers wouldn't let the little girl leave.

Go after her brother, Fang's rough voice urged him. She shouldn't be alone. She's in danger.

Kayne shook his head. "No," his voice was rough. "Xavier, follow her. Make sure you know where she is at all times. And don't let yourself be seen. I'm not losing either of you." The black wolf darted off into the trees after Kayne's lifemate. "Come here Cassie. We're taking you somewhere safe and then my brothers and I are going to get you sister." The little girl hesitated a moment before dashing over to Kayne and jumping up into his arms. As soon as he was holding her securely, he dashed off. Fang easily outdistanced them even with Kayne's werewolf abilities. Fang was pure wolf at that moment. Besides, Fang had to go ahead to warn the pack.

Cassie clutched Kayne. He could feel her heart beating frantically. He couldn't blame her. If he hadn't grown up in a wolf pack, this would have terrified him. Hopefully the pack wouldn't overwhelm her. She was his moonmate's little sister and a child. For either of those reasons she would always be cared and protected for by his pack and their allies. Kayne was at the half-way mark when Lucian and Abigail (moonmates of the Alpha Male and Beta Female) came with a car.

"Fang and the others are getting ready right now. Xavier hasn't come back yet," Lucian informed Kayne as he and Abigail approached.

Kayne shook his head. "I knew he wouldn't be. He won't leave my mate. This little one is Cassie, my mate's sister." Kayne turned Cassie so that she was facing Lucian and Abigail. "Cassie, that woman is Abigail and the man is Lucian. They're two of the leaders of my pack. They'll be looking after you while my brothers and I go to find your sister."

"You promise you'll bring her back?" Cassie implored.

Kayne smiled. "I promise little one. We'll bring her back. I won't abandon my mate." Cassie nodded putting her faith entirely in the Volkov's and their pack. The little child probably didn't realize how much that meant to the brothers. She couldn't. Not unless she could read minds.

* - - - - - - - - -* - - - - - - - - -* - - - - - - - - -* - - - - - - - - -* - - - - - - - - -* - - - - - - - - -* - - - - - - - - -* - - - - - - - - -*

"Where's your moonmate Jason?" Kayne asked very confused to see the young werewolf in his human form.

"In your arms," the boy growled. "Why are you holding her so close Kayne?"

Kayne looked down at the little blonde girl sleeping in his arms to the young werewolf before him. How was it possible that this child was mated to a fourteen year old wolf. Especially this fourteen year old werewolf. "Cassie is my mate's baby sister. I am protecting her. Nothing more little one. If you wish, I will give her into your care while we save her sister."

Jason crossed his arms and surveyed Kayne carefully before nodding curtly. "That is well. I don't like seeing you hold my mate." Kayne rolled his eyes, but let the boy take the sleeping girl from his arms. Jason was staring at her with admiration and wonder. Kayne could understand that look. He knew that it was how he looked at Emma when she wasn't looking. There was an ache in his heart when he thought about her. He needed her there with him. It wasn't right that they were apart. They needed to be together. She was his moonmate. He was her werewolf. He was going to get her back no matter what.

Jason looked down at the small girl now in his arms. She was so fragile and tiny looking. She was a child, but she was his. He had been rude to Kayne Volkov because he was afraid. He had been told since he was small that he would one day have a moonmate and she would be the most precious thing to him in all his life. He understood what they meant now. He wouldn't go on the hunt that night. He wouldn't even argue for it to be allowed. He had to stay with his mate. "Go save your mate Kayne," Jason ordered. "I don't want my mate to be sad at the absence of her sister."

Fang bumped his arm and Kayne looked down at his brother. Kayne nodded. It was time to go. They had to go find his mate before something happened to her. Of course to do that, they had to catch a scent. The hunt was on.

* - - - - - - - - -* - - - - - - - - -* - - - - - - - - -* - - - - - - - - -* - - - - - - - - -* - - - - - - - - -* - - - - - - - - -* - - - - - - - - -*

Kayne and Max (moonmate of the pack's healer) were driving the vans. The twelve wolves were running beside the vans as they followed Xavier Volkov's scent. At dawn, they had to pause so that the werewolves, now in their human form, could get in the van. All except Fang who stayed out and returned to his wolf form so that he could continue following his brother's scent.

What was surprising was that Xavier met them in human form on the road. Kayne growled as he surged form the van and slammed the door behind him. "What are you doing here Xavier?" Kayne demanded with a growl.

"Calm down brother," Xavier said as he ran a hand through his black hair. "I know exactly where she is. I just thought that you guys would want to keep the element of surprise. Right around the corner you'll find a warehouse. Four of them went into the warehouse with your little mate."

"What the hell happened while I was gone?" Kayne demanded angrily.

Xavier laughed nervously. "About that brother...you can't get mad at me. You did tell me to stay out of sight. Our cop car that went missing a few weeks ago is in that parking lot right now. Some men pretended to be officers and pulled her over. They tricked her, drugged her with that stuff of the cloth, and tied her up before they put her in the trunk. They left her car on the side of the road."

Kayne was mad. He was beyond mad. He was furious. He was furious that Xavier hadn't done anything. But he couldn't blame his brother either. Xavier had just been following his orders. That just made him mad at himself. He should have ordered his brother to protect his mate. But then his brother could have been shot and killed. This was a whole screwed up mess. Kayne would be happy when he got Emma back and could protect her again...and try to explain what was happening again.

Kayne dragged his hand through his black and brown hair and growled. He didn't like how things were turning out but there was nothing he could really do. "Max! Stay with the vans. We might need a quick getaway. Royce, you stay with him. The rest of you come with me. We're going to go kill the idiots who thought they could threaten my mate and her family." No one questioned him. Why should they? This was his mate that was in danger. They could understand. Kayne would lead this and they would get his mate back no matter what the cost.
♠ ♠ ♠
And now we're all caught up with what happened with everyone else (except for daddy dearest, but that's okay). So the next chapter goes back to Emma's pov of course. Hope you enjoyed this part. Review PLEASE!

Updated Janurary 22, 2010