Slaves of the Moon

The Wolves Come

I knew I was going to die. I knew that there was no way that I could escape. I also knew that they were never going to get Cassie. Whatever or whoever the Volkov brothers were, for all that they had done...they wouldn't let anyone hurt Cassie. I had to believe that. It was the only thing that was going to keep me from going insane the moments before I died. It was the only thing that could keep me even remotely strong or brave. This wasn't how I wanted to die though. I wanted to live to be "a ripe old age". I wanted to see my children and their children and maybe even their children. I wanted to die in my sleep on my own bed surrounded by people who loved me. I wanted to be remembered and have my life celebrated because I lived long and well. I didn't want to die now before I had even seen my eighteenth birthday. I didn't want people to remember me as the girl who was killed before she had "the chance to live". So much for being brave. I couldn't seem to even come close to it when I was so terrified.

I could feel his gun press against my head as I squeezed my eyes closed. I heard it cock the same moment that I heard a howl. My heart leaped into my throat at the sound. I didn't know if it was hope I felt or fear. The last time I had heard a howl, those howling had saved my life. Would I get so lucky twice especially in so short of a time? Maxus turned to one of the men standing around my father and I and barked a sharp order. Windows shattered before the order could be obeyed. I screamed against the gag and felt someone grab my chair and start pulling me backwards. "Emma!" I heard my father cry my name. I struggled against the ropes knowing that it wouldn't help but unable to help it. Suddenly I found my chair toppling to the side. I cried out against my gag as the full weight of the chair and part of my body slammed against my arm pinning it between the chair and the floor.

I could only hear what was going on. How my chair had fallen I had no view of what was going on with my father and whoever had invaded. Eventually the noises died down. Then I heard my father cry out in surprise. "What are you?" he demanded.

There was a short pause before I heard Kayne speak. "Sir, I'm Kayne Volkov. And this is my pack...we're werewolves sir. I won't lie to you. We're not here to hurt you. We're here to protect you and Emma. Speaking of which, if you will excuse me. Alpha?"

"Go to your mate Volkov," another male voice spoke gently.

I heard someone running towards me and then gentle hands picking up my chair and sitting me upright. "God Emma what did they do to you," Kayne said gently caressing my cheek. I started crying. I couldn't help it. One of his hands gently touched my injured shoulder and I cried out. Kayne swore softly under his breath. "Xavier!" he snapped. "Get Max and Ella now!" He turned back to me and began to slowly assess my bonds. "You're safe Emma...you're safe."
♠ ♠ ♠
I know, this chapter is so ridiculously overdue it's not even funny! I am so sorry about that! I hope that this made it at least a little worth it.