Slaves of the Moon

Aftermath

It was very hard to dispute the guy's logic. That was probably because I was also having trouble thinking clearly at that moment as well. Here was the real question: why had they been near at all. "How do you expect to explain four dead bodies to the police?" I asked softly.

"It's self-defense. We've done nothing wrong. They would have killed us and likely you both as well. We couldn't have that now could we," the black haired brother, Xavier said almost cheerfully.

Kayne shot piercing glare at his brother. "You'll have to forgive Xavier. He has a tendency to be less than sympathetic when it comes to death.

"Don't sound so sore about it little brother. No one important got hurt did they?" Xavier demanded.

"Xavier!" Fang snapped angrily. "There is a child and a woman present. Hold your tongue."

Xavier slumped his shoulders like a scolded child. "You want me to apologize to the kid too," he muttered.

"Stop it Xavier!" Kayne snapped. "There's no time for that right now. Emma, do you want to call the police first or should we take you and your sister home?"

"W-we have to call the police," I said trying to not sound as terrified as I felt.

Kayne nodded. "Fang." The larger brother nodded and took a cellphone out of his pocket. Kayne turned back to Cassie and me and I wanted to cower away or jump into his arms. I wasn't sure which was more appealing. "Is she alright?" Kayne asked softly.

Cassie pulled away from me so that she could turn and look at Kayne. Kayne's gold eyes met Cassie's blue eyes with kindness and concern. "You helped save my sister?" Cassie asked.

"Yes...are you alright little one?" Kayne asked.

Cassie grinned. "Thank you friend."

Kayne smiled back and ruffled Cassie's strawberry blonde hair. "I'm glad you think of me that way. My name's Kayne Volkov. The big guy on the phone is my brother Fang and the one sulking is Xavier."

"I'm Cassie and this is my big sister Emma. She takes care of me." Cassie informed Kayne before I could pinch her.

"You're very lucky to have someone who loves you so much Cassie."

"I probably should thank you for saving me and my sister," I confessed standing up.

"I told you I'd always catch you Emma. I wasn't lying," Kayne paused looking uncertain for a moment. "Cassie, will you go try and cheer Xavier up for me so I can talk to your sister alone."

Cassie scrutinized Kayne. She may have been ten, but I hadn't been able to stop her from growing up too quickly. "Alright," Cassie shrugged and skipped over to where Xavier was sulking and glaring at Fang's broad back.

"I'm very sorry if we scared you Emma. That was never our intention," Kayne said gently trying to draw my attention from Cassie to him.

"What were you even doing near here? I highly doubt you live in this neighborhood." I said refusing to look away from Cassie who had begun to poke Xavier in the side.

"You're right. We actually live another mile away from here," Kayne confessed. In the fading light he looked a little ashamed. I was wondering when the streetlights would come on when I saw Fang join Xavier and Cassie. Xavier was looking extremely annoyed. It might have been because Cassie had refused to stop poking him.

"You didn't answer my first question," I pressed Kayne.

Kayne sighed. "I was kind of hoping you wouldn't catch that," he muttered. "We were out walking when we saw you. I just want to protect you Emma. I swear."

"Kayne, I just met you and your brothers. I don't know anything about any of you much less if I can trust you. Yes you've saved me twice. I thank you for that...but that doesn't give you the right for my automatic trust."

The streetlights finally turned on and Kayne stood in a halo of light. He was tall, taller than me by at least six inches if not more. His build was somewhere between lean and lithe. He was muscle, but not like his brother Fang. Though I didn't doubt that Kayne could hold his on in a fist fight with Fang. His hair was short with black and brown streaks. His eyebrows were the lighter brown of his hair, but his thick eyelashes were black. His eyes were the same gold as I had seen earlier. They almost reminded me of a wolf. They stared at me now: sad, thoughtful, and in pain.

"You're right," he conceded after a little while. "We don't deserve your automatic trust...but could you at least try to get to know us before you judge us. I swear...we just want to help you Emma. We don't want to hurt you or Cassie."

I looked over at where Cassie was dodging behind Fang to hide from a mischievous looking Xavier. It was my turn to sigh. "We'll see Kayne."
♠ ♠ ♠
Updated: Janurary 22, 2010