Slaves of the Moon

Quality Time

After school, I managed to dodge the Volkov brothers. Were they stalking me? Why would they want to though? I discarded the idea as I walked into Cassie's school. She was waiting in her classroom just as I had expected. "Hey hon!" I said cheerfully hiding away all doubt that I was feeling inside. "You ready to go?"

"Took you long enough," Cassie said with a smile as she came to me. "I'll see you Monday Ms. Porter!" Cassie called waving to the teacher who was still working in her classroom.

"How was your day Cassie?" I asked as we began to the walk back to our trailer.

"Boring, duh," Cassie said making me genuinely laugh.

"That bad huh?" I asked. "How about after I get gas in the car, I take you out for a big treat. Just you and me."

"But don't you have to work today?" Cassie asked skeptically.

"Nope," I assured her. "You're stuck with me...even during the weekend. I have a little while off of work. I'll be able to spend some time with you and then I'll be back."

Cassie was silent as she contemplated the idea. "Okay!" She said happily. "That means I get to torment you all weekend."

"So long as you know that I'll be doing it right back," I promised with a grin. We were still a few blocks from the trailer when a minivan pulled up next to us.

"Hey Emma! Hey Cassie! You guys want a ride?" The driver asked with a broad grin.

"Hi Susan! That would be great." I said taking Cassie's backpack as she climbed into the back of Susan's minivan. I had called Susan from the police station and told her that we had found Cassie. The relief on her face at seeing my little sister was evident. I sat upfront with Susan. Susan had started to drive before I spoke again. "I'm really sorry to ask this Susan, but could you give me a ride to the gas station. I forgot to fill the tank yesterday in my car and it's stuck outside the diner."

"Of course," Susan said energetically. "Don't worry about it Emma. Of course I'll do that. I just need to pick up my kids from my sister's first and then I'll drive you down to the gas station. You can just use my gas can, it's in the back."

"Thank you so much Susan, you have no idea how much I need this help right now."

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

It was already six thirty by the time that Cassie and I got home to put the groceries and our backpacks away. "Hurry up kiddo." I said as I put the last of the groceries into the fridge.

"I'm coming!" Cassie yelled coming into the kitchen. "You're so impatient Emma."

I smiled down at my little sister. "Maybe, but I'm the one taking you to the movies. You ready to go?"

"Of course I'm ready," Cassie said with a frown. "I've been waiting for this for hours."

I laughed and ruffled my sister's hair. "Alright then, grab your jacket and get your butt in the car. I'll be out in a second." Cassie ran out of the house excitedly. It was times like this that I was grateful I had my little sister and my mother hadn't left me entirely alone. I needed Cassie. She kept me sane. I grabbed my purse from the counter and locked the door of the trailer behind me as I went outside.

Then I froze. At my car, stood the Volkov brothers. Xavier was trying to grab a laughing Cassie as she ran around Fang and Kayne was leaning against the hood of my car watching me. Kayne stood up and walked towards me smiling. "We didn't see you after school so we wanted to swing by and see how you and Cassie were doing."

"We're fine as you can see," I said stiffly. "Was there anything else you wanted?"

"You don't have to be afraid of us Emma," Kayne said gently. "We're not going to hurt you or Cassie."

I didn't know what to say to that. It was as if he had read the fear in my mind, though he wouldn't have to be a mind reader to know that I mistrusted both him and his brothers. "You'll have to forgive me Kayne," I said softly. "I have a problem trusting people."

Kayne just smiled. "I consider myself a pretty patient guy. I can wait." He assured me. Then he turned to where his brothers and Cassie were. "Are you done joking around Xavier?"

"Never," Xavier assured us with a grin.

"Good, then you won't mind leaving," Fang said grabbing his brother by the scruff of the neck and picking him up. Xavier pulled up his legs and crossed his arms across his chest while Cassie and I stared at Fang in shock and amazement.

"Stop showing off Fang," Kayne chuckled as they walked to their car. Before Kayne got in his car he turned and looked at me again. "I hope I can see you again soon Emma. I want to get to know you better."

I watched them drive away before I moved again. "Why don't you get in the car kiddo? We still have places to go and things to do."

Cassie regained herself and darted to the car. I wished I could shrug off the Volkov brothers' visit so easily. But I could at least make an effort. And that's what I did. I got in the car and took Cassie to the movies and for ice cream afterward. She deserved it and she loved it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Updated Janurary 22, 2010