Slaves of the Moon

The Imprisoned Father

It was a little past noon and it was a Saturday. Cassie and I had just woken up because there was nothing to do and we had stayed up late the night before. There was a knock on the door and I went to answer it leaving Cassie on the couch watching the recorded Saturday morning cartoons. It was Susan. Instantly, I relaxed. What had I been expecting? Or rather who? I didn't know. I put on a big smile and invited Susan in. "How are you Susan?"

"I'm fine Emma. Actually, my kid's were wondering if Cassie could come with us to the play that they're putting on at the high school. I know I have no right to ask you, but the kids begged me and-"

"Susan," I said gently interrupting her and putting a hand on her shoulder. "That wasn't your fault. You'll be with the kids at all times so I trust you. You've done so much for us these last past eight years how could I not? I just want you to do one thing for me."

"Anything," Susan said eagerly.

"Call me before you come back to the trailer. I have somewhere I need to go this afternoon and I really don't want Cassie there or here alone."

"Of course honey," Susan said uncertainly but she didn't ask any questions. I knew she wouldn't and that was what I needed.

"So when are you guys leaving?" I asked.

"Actually I was going to take the kids to lunch at the diner and then drive over to the high school."

"Sure," I said with a shrug. "I'll have Cassie out to you in about ten minutes. Sound good?"

Susan's smile brightened the room as she nodded and went back to her house. I watched after her. Susan Briggs was like a mother to me. She was the only real mother I had ever known. Susan tried very hard and I didn't want her to feel bad for what idiots had done. If I couldn't trust Susan then there was only two people in the world I could trust and I really wanted the number to stay at three.

"Hey kiddo!" I said grabbing Cassie from behind so she jumped.

"Don't do that!" Cassie said trying to frown as I laughed.

"Sorry Cassie, I couldn't help it. Now why don't you pause the cartoons and go get dressed. You're going out to lunch and a play."

"Wait a second," Cassie said with a frown as she stopped the tape. "You aren't coming with me?"

"No, Susan's kids want you to go on a play-date with them. I hope you don't mind."

"Free food!" Cassie yelled jumping up and running to her room as I stood in the living room, doubled over laughing.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

I waited until the minivan was out of sight before I went back into the trailer. I got dressed in my nice black pinstriped pants and my white blouse. I twisted my hair up in some clips and grabbed my keys. I got in my car and started driving out of town. Contrary to Juliet's faulty knowledge, I can visit my father. I just rarely do. It's kind of hard to have father-daughter moments when you're looking at someone through glass and there are bars and guards on the other side. But I had to talk to him now. I wanted to know what was going on and I wasn't going to leave him alone until he told me. I pulled into the parking lot and made sure I was composed before I walked into the building. It had been almost a year since I had last seen my father. I wondered secretly how much he had changed. Was he being treated well? Would he be happy to see me?

I knew that I looked calm, focused, and determined on the surface, but just under the surface, I was jittery. Who could blame me though? As the guards led me into the room where I would face my father, I took deep steadying breaths and sat down at the booth they pointed out to me. It was another minute before my father came out and was sat across from me. He sat there staring at me. He must be surprised that I was there to see him. I waited for him to pick up the phone before I did.

"Emma..." He whispered.

"Hi dad," I said looking at him. He looked tired. He had bags under his blue eyes. He had Cassie's eyes. His red-blonde hair was limp and dull. He looked just as bad as I remembered him.

"Emma, what are you doing here?" He demanded. I couldn't tell if it was fear or anger that took over his eyes giving them life.

"Thanks dad," I said sarcastically. "It's nice to see you too."

My dad shook his head. "I'm sorry Emma...it's just...you shouldn't visit me. Not right now."

"This has something to do with the men that took Cassie doesn't it?" I demanded.

"They kidnapped Cassie?!" My father said panicking.

"Don't worry, she's safe now. We got her back." I assured him. "But that wasn't before they threatened Cassie and me. The only reason we got away is cause three guys I know were going by and saw what wast going on. I want answers dad and I'm not leaving until I get them."

My dad sighed and buried his face in his free hand. "It's all my fault. You know that I wasn't always a straight arrow. I mean after you were born I worked really hard to only be legal, but my past doesn't seem to be so forgiving."

"So this has something to do with before. God! How long do these people hold grudges?" I demanded angrily. "And why are they bringing Cassie and me into this? We don't know anything."

"Yes, but I do," dad said softly. "They really want this information they think I have."

"Do you have it?" I asked aggravated.

"No, it was destroyed about 18 years ago." My dad said looking straight into my eyes.

"The day I was born," I whispered. "Then, why don't you tell them you don't have what they want?" I asked.

Dad shook his head. "They don't believe me. Not that I blame them much. I was a chronic liar way back when."

"Dad," I groaned. "What are we supposed to do? Why don't you tell the cops about this?"

Dad laughed. "Oh yeah, criminals from my past have come back after more than eighteen years to get information they think I have which I actually destroyed the day my first daughter was born."

"No need to be sarcastic dad," I growled. I shook my head slowly "I have to get Cassie out of town."

"They'll be watching you and Cassie, Emma. I don't know if you'll be able to escape." My dad said trying to reach out to me through the glass.

"I have to try dad. You're not the one in danger. You're safe behind those bars."

"Good luck Emma," My father said as I stood up.

"Yeah, maybe I'll see you again someday," I whispered as I turned and left.
♠ ♠ ♠
Updated: Janurary 22, 2010