Slaves of the Moon

My Werewolf, His Moonmate

"Kayne?"

Kayne seemed shocked by the fact that he was walking towards us and I couldn’t quite understand why. "Um, hi Emma."


"What are you doing here? What's going on and what are you wearing?"

Kayne looked nervous and uncertain. "Well, um, can I...approach you Emma. I don't want to hurt you, I just want to free you and Cassie. Will you let me?"

I bit my lip, definitely more afraid than Kayne was. But I gave him my concern. I wanted to be free and from what had happened so far, I didn't think Kayne would hurt me or Cassie for that matter. Cassie was far more trusting than I was though. She worked as hard as she could to move forward to Kayne, but ended up pushing herself more than anything. Kayne ran forward to Cassie and caught her when she would have fallen on her face. He took a knife from where it was strapped to his ankle and cut the cloth binding Cassie's hands.

Cassie threw her arms around Kayne's neck. as soon as she was free. "I knew you'd save us Kayne."

"Of course I would kiddo," Kayne said smoothing Cassie's hair. "Make sure you stay with one of the wolves. They won't let anything happen to you."

Cassie went to the side of the brown wolf and clung to him. The wolf stood still, not moving to hurt her, but instead his eyes flashed protectively and I knew instantly that the wolf wouldn't let any harm come to Cassie no matter the consequences to himself.

Kayne approached me next with his hands held open in a gesture of peace. He wanted to prove to me that he wasn't dangerous. I sat up on my knees as he came to my side. Kayne cut through the cloth binding my hands. I brought my hands forward and rubbed the feeling back into my wrists. "Thank you," I whispered. "Now tell me what are you doing here Kayne...and what are you wearing?"

Kayne plucked at the brown wool covering him. "This is a robe. I use it sometimes. Look Emma...I need you to trust me. There are some things you don't know. Some things that you wouldn't understand. I just want you to know that I would never hurt you or allow anything to hurt you. And all of this is going to sound nuts, but it's true. I'm a werewolf...and you're my mate."

"Wh-what?! You're crazy. There are no such things as werewolves!" I struck out at him to try and push Kayne away.

Kayne grabbed my hands. "Emma! Emma! Stop! I know this sounds nuts but 's true. My brothers and I are werewolves. We've been coming to save you all these because I suspected you might be my mate. Now I know, because right now I should be in wolf form like my brothers, but I'm not."

"Yeah right," I scoffed trying to pull away. "Werewolves turn on the full moon. It's a new moon tonight."

"The myths got it backwards. On full moons we're stuck in our human form and our wolf half is ripped from. There's only so long we can survive without it. On the new moon is when the wolf half takes over. But the first night of the new moon that we find our moonmate...we can't turn. It's impossible."

I finally managed to pull away from Kayne and stumbled back. "Stay away from me," I ordered. "Cassie we're leaving."

"B-but Emma. I don't think that's a good idea, " Cassie was anxious as she clung to the big brown wolf.

"We're leaving now Cassie!" I snapped. I felt terrible for getting upset with my sister like that but I couldn’t stay here and I wasn't leaving without my sister.

Cassie looked anxiously and me, Kayne, and the two wolves. "N-no Emma. I'm staying with the brothers. They'll protect us. I know they will."

It broke my heart. "I'll come back for you Cassie," I whispered. Then I turned on my heel and fled into the night.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments? Advice? I would love to know what my readers think of this story.

Updated: Janurary 22, 2010