Status: one shot

Paper Birds

one/one

Dear Teagan,

Okay, I'm going to do it. I'm going to write this cheesy letter professing my love to you. We're graduating in two days. Might as well, right? I know, you're probably thinking, 'Oh, ew. Who on earth is this kid?' Just kidding. You know who I am. I'm Colby. I'm the kid who helped you with your chemistry homework sophomore year and said hi to you in the halls every day.

Okay, so here goes nothing...

I'm in love with you. Maybe that's extreme, since we've only known each other for four years now, but I honestly find myself having feelings for you that I've never had for anyone else in my life. I felt like a middle school kid because I never knew what to say to you, my pale skin betrayed me and blushed whenever you entered the room, and I mumbled like an idiot whenever you spoke to me. I was a mess because of you.

I think it started the very first day of freshman year. It wasn't a love-at-first-sight type thing, it was more of a 'the most beautiful girl in the entire world just sat next to me.' You smiled and introduced yourself and asked me what my name was, to which I mumbled something that most likely came out like, "Cojdksdsfafdlby Jennineldjdlkssjkgs." Honestly, you caught me completely off guard. I never knew some freshman girl I've never met until then could have that effect on me.

You're probably thinking, 'Oh, I get that all the time," or you're thinking, "I can't believe he said that to me.' I know you have your insecurity issues, but take it from me, Teagan, you are beautiful. You're the most beautiful person I've ever met. I know I'm not the only person who's ever said that to you. I remember this one time I had to go to your house for our English project and you forgot, so you opened the door wearing nothing but ratty old pajamas and absolutely no makeup on your face and you went into a frenzy to dress yourself up. It was me, Teagan. You didn't have to do anything because no matter what, you'll always be beautiful to me.

I don't like your boyfriend. Probably because I like you, so obviously, he's my competition and of course, everyone is better than me (according to Clarissa Huntington). But I also don't like him because he's kind of a tool. Sorry. I know you're still with him and you love him and all, but I honestly think you can do better than that. He doesn't appreciate the girl you really are. One day, junior year, you came into APUSH wearing a Blink-182 shirt you got from the concert the night before, and Eric scoffed and told you to change because the shirt 'made you look fat'. He was joking because then he pulled you in and kissed you, but I could see how it hurt you. I tried to step in and tell you that I think you looked great in that shirt, but I don't think you heard me. Personally, I think you belong with me, but I'm just sayin'.

You've been through a lot in your life, Teagan. Unfortunately, the whole world knows about it because Clarissa is one hell of a gossiper (I also don't understand why she's your best friend, but to each her own) and told everyone about your brother's suicide and even rubbed it in your face a few times. I just want to say that I'm sorry. I don't know what it's like to lose a family member, but it must be the worst feeling in the world. I sent you flowers and you actually knew it was me! I got really excited because you hugged me for the first time. Your hair smelled like roses and vanilla and it was the nicest smell on earth.

Okay, so enough about the background information spanning over the last four years. Do you see the paper bird that is probably in your hand as you're reading this? I hope you haven't opened it yet. I'm assuming you haven't and went towards the blatantly open letter first. It's two days from graduation at the time I am writing this letter, and you are still friends with Clarissa and the girlfriend of Eric Bradford. You're still the insecure girl who knows what an amazing and talented person she is and that she deserves me. I'm not the person to tell you how to live your life, but Teagan, you deserve so much more. I'm not afraid to tell you that I can give you that. When you realize that you need to leave some things behind, I want you to open that bird, but only when that happens. Curiosity can't kill the cat in this situation.

Wow, this is one heck of a letter. And it's all me saying how much of a school boy crush I had on you. I'll be embarrassed for the rest of my life as I see you in college and hopefully after, but I'm glad I did this. It's making me feel a hell of a lot better and I hope that it ignites the inner Colby-lover inside you (kidding...sort of).

Okay, I'm going to shut up now before I explode from embarrassment and I hope you have a wonderful life, Teagan. Hopefully I'm in it, but as long as you're happy, nothing else matters.

Love,
Colby


She couldn't stop smiling when she read the letter. When her mother said she had a surprise in her room, that definitely wasn't what she was expecting at all. Colby Jennings, the sweetest boy she ever met, was telling her things she had been waiting to hear for such a long time. She'd been saying it to herself, but she needed that little push. High school was ending but the rest of her life was beginning.

She was ready for it.

She opened up the perfectly crafted paper bird in her hand and smoothed it out.

I knew you liked me too. I'm 100% sure I'm still waiting for you, no matter how much time has passed. I'll see you soon, Teagan.

Teagan chuckled and stood up. She grabbed a jacket from her closet and went downstairs. She knew where he lived because it was only a few streets down from her house. Her mother poked her head out of the kitchen and asked,

"Where are you going?"

Teagan smiled.

"To tell this kid that I'm ready to begin the rest of my life with him by my side."