Silver Springs

you see the BEGINNING

Mary Lou Doyle stood at the edge of the river. She was home for winter break and her mother and new stepdad were driving her wild, so she told them she was taking a walk and made her way down to the water. Her dark hair blew in the cold wind. She cupped her hands around her mouth, blew hot air into them, rubbed them together, and repeated the gesture.

The river in the winter was the most beautiful to her. The rocks were craggy, the sky was grey, but the leafless branches weaved through every surface and the icy water seemed to glow silver.

“Mamie!” Lorelei shouted from across the river. No one called Mary Lou “Mamie” anymore; it was a nickname from high school. But then she remembered she was home and that Mamie was what her home called her.

But this caused Mamie to look up, pulling her out of her blank head. “Lori. What are you doing here?” she yelled.

“Your mom s–said you were home! She –called me!” Her response was shaky as she tried to climb through the branches that had gripped the bridge across the body of water.

Behind Lorelei was a tall man with dark hair. His hands were stuffed into the pockets of his parka and he smiled as he helped Lorelei manage her way across the bridge. “Hey girl!” Lori chirped when she finally got to Mamie.

Mamie smiled at her, then laughed when her old friend pounced and smothered her in a hug. When they pulled away, Mamie looked at the silent stranger who was now eyeing her curiously. “Who’s this?” she asked Lori.

Before she could answer, he extended his hand out to her Mamie and said, “Gunnar. I’m Gunnar.”

Lori rolled her eyes. “My car broke down and Gunn is Billie’s best friend and so he offered to give me a ride. Billy’s been preoccupied with his recovery and all.” Lori finished the last part in a whisper.

“Oh. Nice to meet you,” Mamie said as they shook hands, “I’m Mamie.”

Some people say that Lorelei ruined Mary Lou Doyle’s life when she introduced her to Gunnar Lewis. And some people say that she introduced the perfect couple to each other. I don’t really know which one is right. Maybe it’s a little bit of both.
♠ ♠ ♠
"Do you remember when we met? That's the day I knew you were my pet."

-Iggy Pop (Phil Phillips Cover)