Games Psychos Play

Chapter 7: Academy Awards

It was the first day in a week that I was released from the leather braces attached to my bed. James entered sat me up. I was useless, helpless when it came to doing things for myself. James placed cuffs around my wrists and my ankles, I was back to being a flight risk to the hospital. James stood me up and walked me down the long white halls of the hospital in which I hadn't seen in days, My eyes weren't use to the bright lights reflecting upon them. James led me to the empty showers where two nurses stood with towels and soap. James then unlocked my handcuffs, I stumbled a bit and for the first time in a long time I grabbed James for stability. He looked up at me surprised and for the first time I had seen the bruises now faint on his face that I had left from the incident. His left cheek, eye, & forehead was black and blue. My eyes widened in ire shock that I had caused him any pain. I had removed all the thoughts of the incident from my head. I moved my hand to touch his bruised face, my fingers grazed his skin lightly.
"Don't worry about it." Said James quickly removing my hand, but not in anger, more like he was ashamed. I put my hands to my side and said nothing. "I have to stay in here while you shower... I'll look away obviously but... with the lack of female security... It's just they want someone with you--"
"I got it." I said annoyed that James was fumbling over his words because he was uncomfortable with my nakedness. I was very aware that James had been in the room during my sponge baths in the, so not much of my body was a secret to him. He nodded and swallowed hard.
"I'll be right over here" he said pointing to a bench with a newspaper on it. I walked over to the nurses who removed my gown for me. Every stretch of my limbs burned, every move of a muscle ached, I wasn't aware that damage I had done to my body until now. I turned around to the mirror that covered the back wall and revealed my bruises and I was covered. My back, my ribs, my neck, my face, and my legs were bruised. You could even see a faint handprint from James trying to keep my knees and hands down. My face was sullen and thin, my bones were protruding and my skin looked as if it was hanging on for dear life. My frizzy brown hair was wild and scary and my tan skin was oddly pale. My eyes watered but the nurses shuffled me under the warm water before I could go into a full blown panic attack. The water felt nice running over my dry scalp and skin. I looked over to a awkward James turning away quickly because I had caught him looking. I didn't know what was wrong with me, I had no care for how I looked to others or what others saw of me. Once finished with my five minute shower the nurse wrapped a hard uncomfortable towel around me and began to dry my body and my hair. James watched cowardly from the corner of his eye or behind his newspaper but I just did my best to ignore him. Once clothed I walked over to James who placed the handcuffs back around my wrists and ankles and walked me to wear I would be eating. Because of the incident my schedule was the opposite of all the other patients in the hospital, while they ate, I showered, while I eat they do recreation, while I do recreation they shower, and so fourth. James led me to a small room with a barred window and metal table and chair, on the table sat my lunch; cold fish sticks, macaroni & cheese, peas, and apple juice. James took of the handcuffs and gestured me to sit and eat.
"No cuffs?" I asked cautiously walking to the table.
"You plan on doing anything crazy?" He asked taking a seat across from me.
"Probably not." I responded.
"Well then, let me know." He said opening up his newspaper. I picked up my spork and picked at my peas.
"How long do you think I'll be doing this?" I asked.
"No idea." He responded not looking up from his newspaper.
"How's Nurse Patricia?" I asked. He rolled his eyes and put down his newspaper.
"Do you care?"
"I don't ask questions I don't want to know the answer to." I said still continuing to eat my lunch.
"She's fine. Most of your hits landed on me anyways." He said, his attention back on the newspaper.
"And the patients?"
"You startled a few, overall they've mostly forgotten." He said this time not taking his eyes of the paper. I knew why he said it, I chose not to pay him any mind.
"What's the story?" I asked.
"Hmm?" He said looking up from the paper. I looked and nodded at the paper. "Oh uh...oil spill."
"Where?"
"Uhh... Costa Rica." He said with an assuring smile.
"Hmm, you mean the one that happened 3 years ago?" I said raising an eyebrow. He opened his mouth to speak but I quickly stopped him. "You and I both know your not actually reading that newspaper so if you could avoid me like a real man now, that would be great." I said stuffing a piece of fish in my mouth.
"What is it you want me to say hmm?" He said folding and placing his newspaper down on the table.
"I don't know James what do you want to say?" I took a sip of apple juice to help guide down the dry fish.
"Nothing." He said with a smirk.
"Really? You have no lecture for me, no angry words to share, don't want to tell me how you feel?" I said sarcastically.
"Do I want to tell you how disappointed I am in not only you for making a complete ass of me but of myself for believing that you of all people could actually change and behave yourself? No I don't want to do that. I wouldn't want to hurt your precious feelings." He said this time staring me directly in the eye. I laughed a little taking a sip of my juice, sat back in my chair and gave him a nice slow clap. I got up slowly and walked over to his side of the table and sat on top all the while still clapping.
"What?" He said smirking.
"Nothing, it's just--" suddenly I quickly grabbed my spork behind me and swung around my arm just short of his neck, swinging my other arm against his chin and holding it up with the tip of my fingers. James had enough time to react but didnt, he had his hand on his baton but hadnt moved it, his gun still in its holster. I leaned in forward and talked real slow.
"I could kill you. With enough power I could shove this spork into your corroded and you would simply bleed to death. You wouldn't even have enough time to pull the gun out of its holster and shoot me, which you would probably never do, but still. I would kill you and sit here and finish the rest of my lunch with the same bloody fork I just killed you with. Nobody would know until a couple of hours and by then you would be dead.So you see, I have changed, because I could kill you, but yet I choose not to." James was surprised but hadn't seemed very phased by my threat. Our faces were close his long deep breaths blew strands of hair against my face. He stood up slowly, now standing over me and I put my hands down to my side. His face still close to mine his breathing got heavier and so did mine. He lifted his hand slowly and brushed back hair out my face, his fingertips trailing down to my neck where he stopped and held. I tilted my head back just a little my eyes on his the whole time. Suddenly I felt the an object pushing into my side and the sound of his gun cocked surprised me.
"I could kill you too..." He said hand still on the back of my neck, his body in between my legs, his face inches away from mine, and his gun pushing into my side. "I could shoot you and say you tried to attack me, and no one would ever know the truth." He spoke lightly. He smirked a little, leaned in, and surprisingly laid a light kiss on my forehead. He removed himself from in between my legs. "Finish your food." He said placing his gun back into his holster and walking to stand next to the door. I swallowed hard and glanced over to my tray.
"I'm done." I said throwing my fork onto the tray.
And the award goes too... James.