Games Psychos Play

Chapter 8: Gwenyth

Chapter 7:
My mother sat in front of me dramatically sobbing about the condition my body was in. I sat there hands in lap, handcuffed to my ankles, and sighed heavily. My Father shifted uncomfortably in his seat next to my mother and rubbed her back awkwardly. I stared dully into space, and around the room at all the other patients whose loved ones were all laughing jollily together, and here was my mother, sobbing as if someone had died.
“Gwen, now your doctor tells us you’re no closer to getting out of here then when you first came. What’s going on? Don’t you want to get out of here?” My father said sternly as if I was being lectured.
“And we heard about your incident Gwen, You can’t keep doing this to yourself.” Added my mother.
“Gwen, you have to leave here, this was never a permanent situation, and the only way the people here can help you, is if you help yourself.” Lectured my father
“Gwyneth! Are you listening to us?” Yelled my mother in a loud whisper, tears deep in her eyes.
“It burns.” I whispered.
“What?” said them both in unison.
“It burns, when you say my name it burns. So please…stop talking.” I said a little more clearer now. James who was in hearing range, shifted awkwardly.
“Gw—Sweetie,” My mother cleared her throat. “We just want what’s best for you.”
“Coming here… crying? Crying about all the proms, and graduation photo ops you’ve missed, that’s what’s best for me? I’m sorry Mom, Dad…I’m sorry that I’m not jumping for glee when you come in for your visits every six months. Really, I’m so sor—“
“What is your problem?” interrupted My Father. “You’re the murderer, not us, you got yourself in this place, not us, you did this all on your own Gwyneth, so you can blame us all you want young lady, but this was you. We only come here every six months because every time we come you sit here like a statue, angry, as if we did something to you!” Said my father growing increasingly louder and angry. “We love you, I love you, but I won’t allow you to sit here and talk to us as if we have some fault in all this.” People turned their heads at my now screaming father, James took a few steps forward preparing to speak.
“It’s alright James.” I said stopping him before he started. I took a deep breath and gave an assuring smile to James and the other visitors. “Well James I think now is a good time to go, don’t you” James nodded and began to unlock my handcuffs from the chair. My parents sat awkwardly as I stared, and smiled sweetly at them. “Maybe you shouldn’t visit your murdering daughter anymore…” I said standing up ad making my way to the doors followed by James. My parents sat there quietly and ashamed. James led me out hand on my arm, down the white halls.
“Who would’ve thought you could actually change…” James spoke lightly, I could almost hear the smirk on his face.
“Don’t praise me yet.” I said, James chuckled and shook his head and I returned the smile.
“Dr. Brown asked me to escort you to his office after today’s visit.” Said James as I noticed we were taking a different way that wasn’t going to my room or showers.
“Did he say why?” I said.
“Nope.” Said James seemingly a little disappointed he wasn’t able to squeeze out any information from Dr. Brown.
“Ugh.” I sighed. “Does he ever?” I said sarcastically, rolling my eyes and looking out the caged windows. Soon we were at Dr. Brown’s door and in his office, but Dr. Brown was not there. James sat me down and handcuffed me to the bolted down table I had gotten so used too. James sat quietly as I hummed searched around the room then landed my eyes on him. I smiled sweetly as he caught my eye and glanced him up and down.
“You look nice today James.” He stood in his cargo black pants and all black t-shirt army straight. He looked in my eyes for a bit and looked away strictly.
“If only the Sweet Chix could see me now.” I sighed loudly.
“What?” said James I obviously peaking some interest.
“My high schools—well old high school’s nick name for the school cheerleaders. Sweet Chix… with an X.” I said laughing a little and rolling my eyes. I looked back at James and I could see his shoulders relaxing.
“You were a school cheerleader?” Asked James, I burst in to laughter.
“I wished… well in freshman year I wished.” I sighed again. “Sweet Chix were the “It” girls. A girl like me would not fit in.”
“Were they mean?” Asked James
“Aren't they always?” I stated softly.
“Were they mean to you—“ James suddenly stopped, interrupted by Dr. Browns entrance.
“Gwyneth, I apologize for being late.” Said Dr. Brown balancing a coffee in one hand and a clipboard in the other.
“No problem Doc.” I said. Dr. Brown rushed to his desk, sat his things down, and shrugged out of his coat. He looked up surprised that James hadn’t left the room yet.
“You may take your break now, James.” Said Dr. Brown. I looked back and gave a quick smile to James who nodded and left the room. “You want to hear something interesting?” I returned my attention back to Dr. Brown who was taking his coffee and my file back to the coffee table in front of me and sitting in his chair.
“Sure.” I said obviously uninterested.
“I just got done speaking with your parents.” He said now sipping his coffee. I waited a little wondering if there was more to the story.
“Dr. Brown if that’s the most interesting part of your day then I feel sorry for you.” I said, shaking my head.
“I said that it was interesting not the most interesting. The most interesting part of my day was Congressman George Michelle calling me early this morning and asking for a meeting with you, that had to be the most interesting part of my day so far” He said so nonchalantly. I swallowed hardly at the sound of his name. “What do you think about that?” He asked, his tone instantly got serious. I glanced around the room a bit looking for an escape. I thought about jumping across the table and beginning to choke Dr. Brown, but that would land me in solitary for weeks. I pulled my chains a little and realized that the chains probably weren’t long enough and I wouldn’t make it all the way across.
“What does he want?” I asked
“Closure, he says he needs closure.” I sat there silently a million thoughts running through my head. “Do you think he deserves closure?” Asked Dr. Brown slowly.
“What the hell does it matter what I think.” I snapped a little. Dr. Brown sat back a little surprised at my response.
“Well, it matters a lot what you think, if you don’t think it’s a good idea then of course we won’t do it.” He said taking another sip of his coffee and this time I noticed he sat the cup next to the table beside him instead of the one in front of us.
“What is that? Two armed guys in the room, two guys at the door, one at the end of each hall? Seems like a lot for a little bit of closure.” I said.
“To some, closure is everything.” Said Dr. Brown patiently awaiting my response
“Do you think it’s a good idea?” I asked. Dr. Brown sat back in his seat and pursed his lips.
“Usually I wouldn't allow a patient who shows no interest in changing their character to do this…” He said his deep voice vibrating around the room, I put my head down. “But, I think you not only owe closure to him but you owe it to yourself.” He waited for a few minutes. “This place does not have to be a life sentence Gwen.” He said as his final words. I tugged at the chain a few times and tried to hone in one thought. ‘What could he have to say to me?’ I thought. I could handle everyone’s assumptions, thoughts, and bad words about me but hearing it from him, I knew would be the hardest hit.
“When do we meet?” I said.
“Tomorrow.” He answered