Sequel: In Oceans Deep

Our Secret Place

Was

It took him an age to reach her.

“Callie!” he called.

Somehow, miraculously, she had survived the fall. Her body was bruised and cut and bleeding, but she turned her head at the sound of his voice.

“Callie,” he whispered, cooing softly. “I’ve called for help.”

“No-”

“Shhh…you’re…going to be…alright.”

He could barely speak, his voice choking on every word. Looking at her broken bruised frame, he knew she wasn’t going to make it. Especially in the state she was already in.

“I’m sorry I didn’t tell you.” She tried to reach out and touch his face, but her arms wouldn’t move.

“Dammit!” he cried, the tears rolling down his face.

“I didn’t want you to ever have to know,” she tried again, this time she reached his arm and grabbed hold.

He wanted to scream ‘and what was I supposed to do when you suddenly just died?’ but he didn’t. He buried his anger, his frustration, everything that threatened to make him explode and just took hold of her hand.

“I’m sorry,” she whispered again. She coughed some more, wincing as she swallowed back the blood; he wanted to cry so hard.

“Take me to our secret place.”

“The ambulance is coming.”

“Please…” she could feel tears filling her eyes.

“If you’ve hurt your spine-”

“My back is fine,” she tried to convince him, but the pain was visible across her face.

He just sat there for a moment, before he finally picked her up. He was as gentle as he could be taking her to the car and placing her in the front seat. She tried her hardest not to show any pain the entire journey back, but he missed nothing. Tears continued to roll down his face, they didn’t stop when they arrived.