Sequel: In Oceans Deep

Our Secret Place

Is

As they lie there, he recounts stories that would make him laugh, but the beach stays silent. In the distance, he can hear church bells. They sing their tune and their chime laughs seven times. A tear slips from his eye, but he doesn’t let her see it.

He wants to go into the sea, but she doesn’t follow him as he stands to stretch his legs. So he dips his feet in before wading out, submerging his body and lastly his head. The water is cold but refreshing.

Looking out, he can see her there, lying on the beach, smiling towards him. He smiles back and waves before a sickly feeling erupts in his stomach. He wants to be with her, he has to be with her.

He quickly staggers his way through the sea, tripping on seaweed and the uneven bed before dashing up the beach back to her. He has to make it before he falls apart, he has to be with her.

He reaches her, falling to the floor, burying his face into her wet sand filled hair and wrapping his arms around her. He takes in everything about her, her smell, her feel, he cannot be without her.

Her head is turned to face him and their lips meet. Her lips are cold to him so he holds her tighter, keeping her warm and safe. He will never let her go.