Sequel: In Oceans Deep

Our Secret Place

Was

The two go into town after their nap to get some food. He is gone for some time while she sits in the car knees up and headphones in to drown out the outside world. Suddenly her head starts to spin and there is a heavy ringing in her ears. Just as she opens the car door, she is sick on the pavement. She wants to lie down, but the car is hot and stuffy so she crawls out and collapses on the floor. The air here is fresh and cools her head.

“Callie?”

Looking up she sees that he is back. He drops the shopping running over to her to help her up.

“I’m fine,” she pushes him away and tries to lift herself off the ground.

“You’re arms… you’re shaking.”

“I’m just cold,” she says, her stubborn side showing.

“Callie, it’s still summer you know,” he almost laughs.

“I’m fine.”

“You were lying on the floor next to a pile of sick, that doesn’t sound like fine to me.”

She opens her mouth to say something smart back, but closes it again. He’s holding her arms staring straight at her with eyes so full of worry.

“Callie…”

She bursts into tears.

He pulls her into an embrace not caring about the tears soaking his new shirt. He brushes her hair playing with it. She starts to calm down, feeling safe again in his arms, as if nothing bad could ever happen to her.

But then reality hits her with a queasy feeling in her stomach. She pushes away from him and runs, she can’t stand to be near him, to let him see her like this, she runs for the cliffs edge fifty metres away.