Got a Spark, Got Somewhere to Be

1/3

Most people say a single moment can change your life. Most people, but not Anna.

She preferred to think it was a series of motions causing the moment that stood out as the life changer to happen. Small little things that no one really notices; split second decisions, a single body movement, a glance in a certain direction, a sound, a simple thought... Everything led up to something like a story reaching its climax before it tumbles over the knife’s edge in either a good or bad direction.

Like the day she lost her voice. It was her parent’s decision to go to the shops for a take-away lunch; it was Anna’s choice to go with them instead of staying home with her older sister and their visiting cousins. It was the guy’s mistake not to tie the giant sheet of glass down properly on the back of his Ute. It was the other guy’s fault to speed for the ‘joy’ of it and run the red light because he was unable to stop in time. And it was the sweet old lady in the car besides them offering a smile and wave which Anna was replying to causing her to lean across the back seat, a movement that saved her life.

Then yesterday. It was the rain that made her rush for the closest cover which happened to be the cafe. It was the smell that gave her the thought, then the decision to buy something to drink. It was Alex’s choice to pick that cab that left him on the side of the road and to then try and find his way back to the hotel. It was his memory of passing the cafe that gave him the idea of heading back towards it in hope of some sort of directions. And then Anna’s acceptance to help Alex find his way back.

All that, at least everything that happened yesterday for the most part, led to the email sitting open on the laptop screen, bright against the dull lighting of the room.

Anna sat in the middle of her bed, a blanket wrapped around her like some sort of fluffy snow coat and the laptop balanced carefully on her knees. Even though it was a new day the rain continued to fall, making long water tracks along the windows in water drop races. It’s not as heavy as yesterday afternoon, no flash downpours, but it was continually falling.

Pulling her attention away from the outside view, Anna turned back to her laptop noticing that her internet had finally got its act together in loading the email. At the top there was a little header about the Hustler Club and seeing that the address was from there it wasn’t really surprising.

Anna wasn’t part of the club or ever had been, so the moment she saw the address she knew it had to be from Alex, or someone to do with the bands crew. As it turned out it was from him.

‘Hello Anna, its Alex.
I got back to the hotel well, drenched but fine. So again thank you, you really did turn out to be the hero of the day.
As promised I tried to set something up for you at tonight’s show and after annoying the crap out of our tour manager (just because I can) he came up with a better idea than what I had. How you like to hang out with us for the afternoon and then watch our set side stage? We do have an interview before the show and sound check, but other than that our afternoon is free. The guys said they’d love to meet you!

Alex.
(Please tell me I have the right email! The page got smudged a little on the run to the hotel...)’


The smile that spread across Anna’s face didn’t come close to showing how excited she was. Side stage view and she got to meet everyone? It was every fans dream come true and Anna felt overwhelming honoured that Alex had offered something like this to her.

Sure she was a long time fan of the band and everything, but if that had been someone else that asked for Anna’s help yesterday, she would have done the exact same thing. She didn’t expect anything back other than a simple spoken ‘thank you’.

It was clear though, just as yesterday that Alex wanted to do this, wanted to do something back. And Anna wasn’t going to disappoint him and say no to the opportunity. Things like this didn’t happen every day.

The mouse made a small click echo in the quiet room when the white arrow hovered over the reply button. It was followed by soft sounds of typing.

‘Hello Alex,
Yes, you got the right email and like I already said; you’re welcome.
I would love to spend the afternoon with you guys! And to meet everyone. I’m free all day; no work or anything, so whatever you guys have in mind is fine with me. Is it alright if I can take photos during your gig?
Thank you very much for this, you really don’t have too. I really appreciate it.
Anna.’


She clicked send and sat there for a moment letting it sink in a little. Something swirled around in her stomach, very much like a strong mix of butterflies and excitement. A stronger feeling of nerves bubbled in her chest amplifying what she already felt towards tonight’s concert. Anna wasn’t a huge crowd person and was planning on going alone.

But this, this was better when it came for having to communicate to people, which was always at the fore front of her mind. That was one less thing to worry about now. Alex knew, he understood and he probably already had told the rest of the guys to make things easier.

Anna clicked the re-fresh button and when no new email popped up, not that she was expecting a reply yet; she shuffled her way out of bed using the blanket as a robe and headed out of the room. Loud chirping was coming from the lounge room, a full out song that people walking past the house could probably hear. Anna smiled. At least someone was enjoying the rain.

The blue and white budgie, Maddy, suddenly stopped singing when Anna walked into the room. The bird moved his head around in all different directions for a better look while hopping back and forth across the perch. Anna flicked on the light and walked up to the cage, poking her hand out behind the mass of fabric to be able to wave. Maddy made a cheerful whistle type sound.

“Hellooo!” The bird greeted followed by a new song that sounded oddly similar to the canaries that lived next door.

Anna waved again and for such a small movement it spurred Maddy to sing louder, head held high and wings fluttering softly. Anna smiled watching Maddy sing until the little bird gave up for something to eat; a piece of apple Anna placed in there a couple of hours ago. She clapped lightly and the bird chirped before nibbling on the fruit. If Anna could laugh out loud she would right now.

Instead she smiled, turned on her heal heading for the bathroom. As it turns out it isn’t the easiest thing to brush and do up your hair in a half up, half down fashion while trying to hold onto a blanket. It’s pretty much impossible unless you had three arms.

By the time Anna did that, got dressed and re-freshed the page there was a new email waiting for her, only just been sent minutes before.

‘Oh good, was a bit worried there. Thought I might had the wrong person or something.
You save me from wondering the streets for the rest of my life in the rain, of course I did.
Sure! You can even take picture before and after too, we don’t mind. I was thinking we could meet up on that corner where we separated yesterday around 1? Sound check isn’t until 3 and Jack keeps talking about needed to go to a shoe shop. Do you know any close by?
Alex’


Anna stopped for a moment thinking of the whereabouts of the closest shoe shop and nodding to herself she hit the reply button.

‘I’m sure someone else would have been nice enough to help you before you got lost forever, too many people would miss you otherwise.
That sounds good with me; I’m starting to like my walks in the rain, haha. I know a few shops close by, there is about four in five minutes walking distance from that corner, I can take Jack to the best one. Well the one my sister clames to be the best.
Anna.’


*

The rain was still falling when Anna left the house, a little lighter than earlier but still at a constant rate. Water was flowing along the street curbs like mini rivers and the bitumen was looking like a lake, reflecting the sky around the ripples of water droplets. It was picture perfect.

Being careful not to get her camera wet, Anna snapped a quick photo down the street and ducked out further into the rain walking down the footpath. Behind her she could hear Maddy singing, muffled a little behind the locked front door but that didn’t stop the little bird’s song from being heard until almost two houses away. Anna grinned clutching her rain coat tighter around her waist.

What Anna lacked in vocals Maddy sure made up for them in one of the most beautiful ways.

It’s only a short walk to the corner, just eight houses and across the street. There was no one there though and Anna was just over five minutes late after taking her time in saying good-bye to Maddy. She looked around seeing a couple of people but not any that matched Alex or Jack. Or Rian and Zack either if they were meeting her there too.

For a moment, Anna’s stomach sunk. They didn’t get lost or anything did they? Surely Alex couldn’t have again.

Anna took cover from the rain the best she could and after about five, maybe ten minutes two people caught her eye walking in her direction. Perking up a little she watched them get closer until a small patch of pink hair was visible underneath a black beanie and a familiar smile showed itself.

Besides Alex, Jack offered a shyer smile as they approached. Anna greeted them first with a wave.

“Hey,” Alex smiled squishing himself into the spot besides Anna to be out of the rain.

“Hello,” Jack said with a small wave.

Jack hesitated for a moment but shuffled up besides Alex for what small amount of cover he could get. If there happened to be someone driving past right now the three of them would look funny, like three little birds all fluffed up and huddled together in a tree. It was better than standing out in the middle of the footpath by far and Anna could write here too without worrying her notebook could get wet.

She pulled the chain with the notebook and pen out of her coat, knowing that she was going to need it. Idly she hoped that there were enough clean pages left for today.

“How are you today?” Alex asked tilting his head to the side in a curious state.

Anna nodded with a smile and held her hand up; fist closed and thumb up in the ‘good’ sign. She gestured towards Alex and Jack repeating the question to them.

“Good.” The both said together and looked at each other with amusement.

It was pretty obvious they did that a lot by that look. Anna held her hand over her mouth covering silent laughter. Now all they needed was to have the same last name and they could be twins.

“So you’re the one that rescued Alex. It’s nice to meet you!” Jack grinned once he looked away from his best friend.

Anna felt heat prickling on her cheeks. She wasn’t used to that sort of phrase, and really she didn’t feel like she deserved it. She helped Alex find his way back to the hotel as plenty of other people would’ve done, so it wasn’t anything special or amazing. Anna unclipped her notebook and pen ignoring the faint blush, flipping open the book and past the most recent entries, which happened to be when she was talking with Alex yesterday.

She wrote quickly and held up the notebook for Jack to read.

‘It’s nice to meet you too, Jack!’

Jack grinned, absently bouncing on his toes making himself even taller than Alex, who was trying to fatten himself against the brick wall to evade the steady rain. Like yesterday it didn’t look like the water works were going to stop anytime soon, much to the annoyance to most of the people in the city.

“Not that I want to be rude or anything, but can we get going to the shoe shop if that’s alright?” Alex asked tugging on his beanie. “I kind of don’t what a repeat outside shower like yesterday.”

“Forgot your soap, Alex?” Jack chuckled with a cheeky glint.

Anna bit down on her lip to hide a smile at the sideways look Alex sent Jack. She waved her hand gaining their attention made a hand movement to say ‘follow me’, as she left the small cover turning the corner the guys quickly followed, hovering close.

For a moment Anna though about pinching herself, because holy shit, she was walking with not only Alex from All Time Low but Jack too, in her hometown and she was going to have the chance to hang out with him for most of the afternoon. It hadn’t really sunk in yet and she guesses it probably wouldn’t for a while either.

But at the same time it felt like a normal everyday thing, just three people, possibly friends walking to the shops together. And that’s what it really was. Sure, Alex and Jack were in a famous band but really they were just normal people that happened to have an awesome job. So though it felt a little surreal to Anna it really wasn’t. She wandered if it just felt like that because it wasn’t often she did this with her actual friends, they were more the clubbing or always working type, rather than causally hanging out types.

“Does it usually rain this much here? Has it even stopped today?” Jack asked after a couple of minutes hopping over a puddle that happen to take up almost half of the walkway.

Anna shrugged and nodded. She pulled out her notebook again risking it getting wet but covered it the best she could.

‘Sometimes, but so far this winter it’s been raining heaps. I don’t think it has, I’ve been up since eight and haven’t heard it stop yet.’

They all stopped for a moment to let Jack read the page. Anna was actually a little surprised how Jack was handling this like it was a normal every day event, no odd looks or raised eyebrows or annoyed huffs when waiting for written replies. She figured Alex must have explained what he knew about her well, though when she thought back on it Alex had been the same, he was surprised at first but quickly got over it accepting Anna’s way of communicating the way it is.

Though Anna never let her lack of voice bring her down it was still disheartening when people acted rudely about it, which sadly happened more often than not.

Jack nodded making a small ‘huh’ sound when they started walking again.

“Good thing it doesn’t snow here then, we’d be up to our knees. And I’m guessing summer is boiling hot?”

Anna nodded making a face and both guys laughed at her reaction. She wanted to tell them ‘if only you guys knew’ but considering they spent a lot of time travelling, they probably did.

“We played here once, during the Soundwave festival I think,” Alex looked at Jack unsure and somehow knowing what Alex was talking about, Jack nodded proving Alex was right. “In Brisbane and it was so hot I almost fainted on stage during the fourth song, at five in the afternoon. It was crazy.”

“I got the worst sunburn ever that day. I had sunscreen on and everything.”

“He was redder than a cooked lobster.” Alex chuckled. “The rest of us weren’t much different. We’ve played on heaps of really hot days, but that one probably takes the cake.”

Then as if the weather was feeling sorry or just trying to be a pain, a burst of cold wind whistled down the street showering them in heavier rain for a second. Anna jumped startled as a few drops managed to fall down the back of her coat neckline. Swatting at her neck only made the cold feeling worse.

The three walked carefully around a blocked storm drain – the one Anna and Alex ran through the day before – or through it would be more exact as it took up the width of the walk path now.

Anna wrote one word down in her notebook and showed both guys.

‘Ouch!’

Both nodded in agreement and Anna tucked her notebook back where it was safe. As she looked up she caught sight of the shoe shop and pointed it out. None of them waisted anytime in getting into the shop, and out of the cold miserable weather. The lady at the counter looked up from her magazine with a soft smile, offered help if they needed it and went back to reading the glossy pages.

Jack was the first one to make a move heading down one of the rows of in-closed shoes, Anna and Alex followed not really interesting in looking at much.

In the middle of the rows were mirrors, not plain ones but fun house types. Anna stopped in front of one, grinning while holding her arms out. It looked like she was one of the Looney Toon characters that got hit on the head with something heavy and squished down to less than half her size. These mirrors were the main reason when she went shoe shopping with her sister, not that Anna had ever told anyone that. She flashed herself a flat over-stretched grin and turned away.

A couple of meters down the aisle Jack pulled out a shoe from a shelf looking it over before putting it back to grab another one. Alex was standing beside him not looking very helpful as Anna walked over to them.

“How come it’s always so hard to find simple shoes in my size?” Jack muttered under his breath.

“Because you half Bigfoot?” Alex smirked stepping back out of arms reach.

Jack snorted, pulled out three different random pairs and sat down on the closest stool. Alex snickered heading down the aisle and around the corner idly looking around. Jack tried the first shoe but quickly pushed it to the side when he could only get his foot half way.

Anna pulled out her notepad scribbling a quick question.

‘Need any help there?’

“That would be great. Thanks,” Jack smiled when he read the page. “I just wanted something simple and comfy. My other shoes blew out yesterday; I’m wearing Rian’s but their a bit small. No way am I wearing flip flops in this weather.”

Anna couldn’t help a small smile hearing the word flip flop instead of thongs. She also had caught the way Alex and said Brisbane earlier; it sounded strange but oddly cool to hear an American accent in person, rather than on TV.

Crouching down in front of Jack, she helped him with the other two shoes, pressing on the ends to make sure there was room for his toes. It turned out he had the same problem she always had in finding shoes; wide feet. She grabbed other couple of shoes from the shelfs roughly the same size Jack had picked out. By then Alex was back, being helpful this time and picking out other types of shoes.

After twenty minutes and about fifteen types of running shoes, three pairs of dress shoes, one pair of high heels, clown shoes and something that looked like high-rise hippy shoes (“Jack, you need to get those.” “Only if they have pink.”); they found a pair of simple dark blue converse looking ones that fit. And to say they got weird looks from the cashier as they were leaving would be some-what an understatement.

*

No matter how many times Anna had been past the Kings Park Hotel, she had never really stood back and actually looked at the building. It was an old grand place and though inside it was modern, it still had the old style look to everything. Old pattern wallpaper, large crystal chandeliers, wall laps, dark wooden furniture and olive green carpets with a lighter green intricate pattern. She had never been inside before and now realised why so many people love staying here. It was beautiful as far as living spaces go.

Since the first time they had met, Alex led the way. The elevator stopped on the fifth - out of seven - floor and they weren’t even fully out of the elevator when Matt, the bands tour manager, appeared with a bright smile and a mini Mickey Mouse hanging out of his hoodie pocket.

“Hey gu- everyone.” He grinned shuffling into the elevator. “Food run, yous want anything?”

“Anything chocolate.” Jack shrugged.

“Those chips we had yesterday, in the orange packet? Whatever those are called.” Alex said digging around in his pocket, probably for a room key.

Matt nodded reaching for the floor buttons but stopped before touching them, looking towards Anna.

“Would you like anything?” He asked after a beat.

She lifted up a hand and gently shook her head. Matt gave another nod and pressed the button. Alex pulled out a room key from his pocket with a triumphant noise and headed down the hallway, Jack and Anna following with the sound of the elevator doors closing behind them. Alex stopped five rooms down and unlocked the door.

Jack burst into the room before Alex had the door half open.

“We found her!” He exclaimed throwing his arms into the air. “We have our kidnappednee for the afternoon.”

Rian and Zack looked up from their books and laptops, eyes bright in amusement watching Jack stride across the room leaping onto a half made bed. Anna bit down on her lip to hide a smile and out of nervousness when Rian and Zack’s eyes turned towards her.

“Hello,” Rian greeted with a warm smile that matched Zack’s.

Anna waved politely. For some reason standing in the same room as all four members of All Time Low was more nerve racking then the little shopping trip with Alex and Jack. For how surreal it felt it wasn’t as bad as before walking the streets with Alex and Jack for some reason, but it was still there. It was hard to actually explain how Anna felt right now. Dreamlike?

Her heart was beating fast in her chest but she ignored that in favour of paying attention of what was happening around her. There was always time to freak out later if need be.

“Sorry the rooms are is a bit of a mess,” Zack apologised closing his book after slipping in a ratted bookmark.

“I thought we were going to meet up at the venue?” Rian asked raising an eyebrow more towards Alex than anyone else.

Alex shrugged pulling out a chair at the small table in the corner. He patted the one next to him asking Anna to take, which she did. Anna took the chance to look around the room then and despite what Zack said it really wasn’t all that messy; completely nothing to apologize for, it just showed that the room was lived in.

“It’s freezing out there. Still raining too.”

Zack reached behind him for the curtains taking a peek outside and frowned slightly. Jack huffed trying to scrabble his way across the bed to Zack’s, only to end up pulling himself off the ground when he tumbled off with a loud thud. Zack shot him an idle glance and when he realised Jack was fine, turned back to the view outside.

“Has it even stopped raining since yesterday?” Rian asked.

Anna shrugged answering his question. A flash of realisation shot across Rian’s face, like he had forgotten something and just remembered. He got up from where he was sitting on a tiny couch, his laptop left behind and took the last empty seat at the table holding out a hand for Anna to shake.

“Nice to meet you. How are you?”

Anna pulled out her neck chain with the notebook and pen clipped to it, and wrote a quick reply. She noticed how Rian was watching a little fascinated and tried not to smile. Looks like Rian was going to be just as accepting as Jack and Alex, maybe even Zack too. At least that was what Anna hoped. Maybe even slightly wished for.

‘Likewise. I’m good, and you?’

Unclipping the book, she held it out for Rian to read as he was sitting across from her. He gave a little nod when he was done.

“Good, good.” Rian grinned flashing two rows of bright teeth. “Enjoying Australia apart from the weather.”

“Sidney was worse,” Zack piped up, where Jack was now spread across his legs looking out the window. “It didn’t rain there but it was colder. It is nice to be back here though.”

Anna flipped over the page in her notebook for a fresh one before writing a new entry. After today she really needs to get a new notebook.

‘Rain is better than ice cold any day!’

Holding up the book for anyone to read, she made a face to further prove her point. Alex and Rian, the only ones close enough to read the small writing nodded in agreement. Suddenly the lock on the room door rattled before it swung opened, revealing Matt with arms full of junk food packets. Anyone would be thinking there were fifteen people in the room or something, not six.

Matt dumped them all on the closest bed and ruffled around looking for something. As Matt reached up across the bed though, the little Mickey Mouse fell out of his little home that happened to be Matt’s hoddie pocket. No one said anything, well not to Matt anyway, so Anna guessed she was the only one that noticed.

She snapped her fingers trying to get his attention but because the others were talking, asking for what they wanted, Matt didn’t notice picking up a grain bar and throwing it towards Zack. So Anna did what was always the best way of making a loud noise; she lifted up her notebook and let it drop onto the table with a loud slap.

That defiantly got everyone’s attention.

“What-?” Alex started to say but cut himself off.

Anna pointed to the mouse doll just as Matt was one move away from stepping on it. He stumbled back a step, eyes wide in surprised and the moment he noticed Mickey on the ground, he snatched him up, checked the stuffed mouse over and placed him back into his fabric home. Anna found it quiet cute that Matt so obviously loved the simple Disney toy.

She could also see what the guys teased him about it in good fun, but it was endearing.

“Thanks,” Matt smiled.

Anna smiled and shrugged in an ‘it’s no problem’ type of way. Apparently she was in the saving-people-out-of-kindness scene lately. The thought made her smile, almost laugh.

“Good thing you noticed Anna or else Matt would have squashed poor Mickey’s head!” Jack exclaimed going as far as making a shocked face.

“And Disney songs would ooze out of his cracked skull,” Alex added trying hard to hide his smirk and failing.

“Then Matt would have to wear a Minnie Mouse hat and kiss him better.” Rian laughed.

Rian dodged the packet of whatever it was Matt threw and reach out for a hi-five from Alex. Zack fell a little sideways on the bed from laughing at Matt’s reddening face, Jack really wasn’t any better almost falling off a bed for a second time in the last twenty minutes, and ducking her head, Anna held a hand over her mouth like if she was to keep herself quiet without the need to.

Matt huffed – fighting his own smile – and placed his hands on his hips a little dramatically. Once everyone calmed down, he started handing out some of the junk food he had dumped onto the bed.

“Now that is all over, can I do my job now?” He asked only getting an answer of rustling packets in response. “Alright, so Anna, do you have any guns, knives, bombs, homemade food with hidden hair in it, secret cameras filming everything that happening right now or any other sharp objects that could hurt any members of the band?”

Anna shook her head looking up at him eyes wide with full honestly.

“That’s good enough for me.” He shrugged settling himself down the bed Jack had jumped on earlier.

“Is this the first time you’re going to watch us play live?” Rian asked turning to Anna with his head tilted to the side curious.

She nodded and picked up her pen, ready to talk.
♠ ♠ ♠
Someone suggested that I made a sequel to the previous oneshot and after heaps of thinking I came up with this. Which turned out wayyyy longer than what I expected. So because of that I'm posting it into three parts. The next two parts will be posted over the next two days :)

Hope you like it (sorry for any mistakes, it's hard to spot them all) and thanks for reading! :D