Status: Enjoy!

A Necessary Evil

Now.

Four Years Later.

“So you have no further comments about the mysterious lack of crime here in Gotham?” I was following the mayor to his black car. He stopped by the car and turned to me. “Because of the Harvey Dent Act we no longer have any crime.” One of his body guards opened his door. “Does that answer your questions Miss....?” I looked up from my notes. “Stone and no it doesn't. It's a black and white answer.” He laughed and got in his car and drove off.

Within my first month of getting out of the pit I worked four jobs and went to college while making enough money to come here to Gotham. I shortly became a reporter for Gotham Times. After a year I was named head reporter, I own a nice apartment with nice air conditioning, a cat and a boyfriend.

No one here knows about the pit. I don't want them to. So I tell them that I come from Arizona that my parents died in a car crash and my brother was never found. I tell them that I loath the heat so I have to always be somewhere where it's cold. I put my notepad and pencil back in my bag that hung from my shoulder. I sighed and ran my fingers through my bangs. I started to walk the sidewalk. The crisp air was nice and chilly.

I walked back to my apartment and opened the door. “How was talking to the mayor?” John came to greet me at the door with half of his police uniform on. “The same as usual. He never wants to talk to me.” I walk into the kitchen pulling out a water bottle from the fridge. “Of course he doesn't he knows you'll expose all his dirty secrets.” I smile as I sit down at the kitchen table and watch him come into the kitchen with his shirt and tie in hand. He laid the tie and shirt over the chair. “I think you would get a promotion if you went to work just like that.”

He laughed and started to put the shirt on. “I'm pretty sure I would be fired.” He buttons up his shirt and holds up the tie. “Help?” I chuckled, grab the tie and I put it around his neck and start tying it. “Three years today?” I look up at him and smile. “You remember our anniversary?” He nods as I finish his tie. “Of course I do.” He kisses me then grabs his phone. “Meet me at Fire Rock at 7.” I smile and walk with him to the door. “Alright.” We kiss again. “Love you.”

“Love you too.” I close the door after I watch him walk down the stairs. I'm about to go to my bag when my head starts to throb. “Ow.” I fall to my knees. The throbbing is becoming worse. “Ow!” Memories of Burma and the pit always seem to hurt. The memory that pops into mind is two weeks after I got out. I decided to confront my mother and her newly found rich husband.

“Miss you cannot come in here!” I stormed through the house and came across my mother's new husband. “Are you the man of the house?” He nodded as he and my “mother” stood up from their spots. “How can I help you young lady?” I could feel my blood boil when I looked at her and her pristine clean look. “I have some information of illegal activity on people who are really close to you.” He moved from the couch over to me with my mother close behind. “And of whom are you speaking of?” I looked to him to her than back to him. “Your wife Alexandria and your step son Vincent Stone.” I emphasized on the last name. “What proof do you have?”

“A hand written letter from a little girl; Emlyn Stone.” His eyes widened and took the note from my hand. He walked back to a wooden desk that sat at the back of the room. After he was done reading it he slammed the letter to the desk which in turn made mother jump. “Alexandria why?” She looked stunned. She looked from me to him. “What?” She ran over to his side. “You let your daughter take your sons place in that hell?!” He gradually raised his voice.

“Sh-she volunteered!” She was starting to panic. “So you think that's right?!” She went silent. I felt happy inside. This was my revenge and redemption. “I-I-I'm sorry honey.” She went to go touch him but he moved away. “What your son did was wrong and he hasn't done his time. I can't condone this.” He walked over to what looked like his head of security. “Take her son and send him to the pit.” He walked over to me. It looked like he was trying to figure out everything in his head. “Send her too.”

She started to yell. “Oh god no! Honey! Please!” His other guards grabbed her and dragged her towards us. “You bitch! Who do you think you are?!” I looked from her to him. “Yes, who are you?” He added. I wanted to make up some false name but I couldn't bring myself to do that. I wanted to show her all the pain she had shown me. “Emlyn Stone.” The room went silent and eyes widened. “Emlyn?” Mother eyed me from head to toe. “You're her daughter?” I nodded in response. “How did you escape?”

“I became strong; strong enough to climb.” My heart felt lighter like a burden had been lifted. “Why are you doing this to me?!” She actually had the gall to ask me this? I leaned down forcing back the tears. “I thought that if I took Vincent's place that, that would make you love me. But all it did was take away fifteen years of my life. You didn't do or say anything and for that, that is your punishment and hell just knowing that the very daughter you birthed lived in hell.” With that I stood up and backed away as they took her. “Anything you need I will help you out anyway possible.”

I was now sitting down and leaning against the door to the apartment. That was the first act of kindness I was shown when I first got out of the pit. I ran my fingers through my tangled brown hair. I wish I could say I felt sorrow for doing what I did to my very own family but truth is; I didn't. I wanted them to experience the same hell I did.

I stood up and took a deep breath. The throbbing pain had subsided. I didn't really want to stay in the apartment. I went into the bedroom and changed from my black pencil skirt and white blouse to a pair of blue jeans and a black t-shirt that read Freedom on it. I brushed my hair back into a pony tail and put my white tennis shoes on; grabbed my coat, keys, phone and left.

I decided not to use my car. It was old and beat up anyways and it had problems running on cold days like today. I stuck my hand in the black pockets and closed my eyes for a brief second. I loved the way the air smelt. Yeah it smelt of cars, smoke and other smells I rather not identify but it was so much better than Burma. I was almost lost in my own thoughts when I passed over an opened manhole. I stopped and went to my knees. I could here men talking.

“What the?” If it wasn't for the reporter in me I wouldn't have gone down in there. I mean I hated anything that resembled the likings of the pit but I'm pretty sure people weren't allowed to live down in the sewers. Not unless this is what the Harvey Dent Act couldn't cover. I stepped into the sewer water. The smell was distinctive and worse; much worse. I tip toed the best I could as I followed the direction of the voices.

“It's not like he's here yet. So I'm in charge until he does get here.” Who are they talking about? I crouched down and got closer. “You know how he's going to react if he hears someone tried to take his place.” I knelt behind a brick wall and turned my head to the side to hear better. “So what? Are you going to tell him?” He scoffed. “No I don't need to tell him. He will already know.” I gulped. The way they made this person sound was evil just pure evil.

“Everyone!” From the other side a guy came running in. “Bane just got the doctor. They're on a plane and heading here now so be ready!” People started running around crazily so that's when I made my break and climbed back up the man hole and outside. I started walking back to the apartment puzzled. “What in the world is a Bane?”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm super happy that people are liking this story! Thanks to my recommenders and my commenter yuna131422.

Note: I really wanted the pit to affect Emlyn even after she's been out of the pit for a certain amount of time.

Well comment and subscribe! Thanks!