Status: don't be a silent reader

The Lonely

Blast To The Past

I had never been inside Mrs. Jenkins flat. Not once. And when I stepped foot inside with the Doctor leading the way, I knew that there was a reason behind why she always wanted me to visit her ‘cats’.

It was dark and dusty. But that’s not what surprised me the most. No. Because all of the furniture was ripped and looked like it had been this way for a long time. Longer than my stay at the complex. It was dirty and grimy and I almost gagged at the ungodly smell that floated into my nostrils.

I opened my mouth to remake the conditions of the flat, but the Doctor held up his hand to silence me. Closing my mouth, I moved my arm to my nose, trying to mask the smell. We walked further into the flat, noises coming from the bedroom. It almost sounded like someone was speaking in a different language.

I glanced over the Doctor’s shoulder and into the room. Mrs. Jenkins was standing there in her night clothes. She had a watch of some sort on her wrist in which is was talking to. When she noticed that we were standing there, she darted her eyes right at me. Her eyes were glowing a scary red color. My response was hiding behind the Doctor in fear.

“Good afternoon, Mrs. Jenkins!” The Doctor yelled a little too chipper. He moved forward, causing me to take a hold of the back of his long coat, still hiding.

“Doctor!” She screamed.

I heard her stumble backwards, running into furniture and whatnot. She seemed scared of him. It kind of put me on edge a tad bit. Why was she so scared? I started to back away from the Doctor and Mrs. Jenkins, but I bumped into something.

Turning around I was faced with the most hideous creatures that I had ever seen. They were big and scaly looking. Almost like humanoid lizards. Except, they had two huge horns on top of their heads. I was about to run back to the Doctor, but they grabbed me.

“Let go!” I shouted, causing the Doctor to turn around in confusion.

“Great job, boys!” Mrs. Jenkins yelled, “Tie her up and give her the poison!”

They started to drag me towards one of the dirty chairs near the kitchen area. I struggled in their grip, trying my best to get free. But they were strong. Stronger than I was, that’s for sure. Soon, I was tied to the chair.

While the Doctor was having a lovely chat with Mrs. Jenkins, the two lizard guys were trying to drip sort of sticky, gooey substance in my mouth. They were having a hard time though because I sort of wouldn’t stay still. I mean, that was not going in my mouth!

I managed to kick my leg in the air and knock one of the guys down. I guess they weren’t too smart since they didn’t tie up my legs. The other one came closer to me with the substance on his finger. He held my throat and forced the substance into my mouth. I tried to spit it out but he pulled at my throat, causing me to swallow. Okay, maybe they were kind of smart.

It moved down my throat and made it’s way into my stomach. It hurt. I ached. I screamed in pain feeling my insides start to bubble. The lizard untied me, causing me to fall out of the chair and on to the ground. I started to claw at my stomach, wanting the pain to go away.

“Doctor!” I yelled out. I couldn’t see him anymore. My sight had gone, which made me freak out. My hands immediately went to my eyes, a shaky cry coming from my lips. I tried to get to my knees and crawl away, but I was picked up by my hair. I let another scream escape.

Then, I was dropped all together, being sent to the floor. I suddenly felt a pain in my neck. I blinked a few times, and every time I did, my vision began to come back. I laid there on the ground, letting my breath and vision get caught up.

“Here,” The Doctor said, holding out a hand towards me, which I gladly took.

Looking around, I noticed that the two lizard men were gone, along with Mrs. Jenkins. But the place was a mess. Not like it was a total mess before hand. The Doctor had a vial in his hand. I’m guessing he injected me with it using it as an anti-poison.

“Well, that got a little out of hand,” He said, shoving his hands in his pockets, “Fancy some chips?”

I looked over at him, my mouth gaped open and my heart beating quite rapidly. I let a laugh out, then nodded my head. “Yeah,” I said, running a hand through my dark hair, “That would be lovely.”

Once we got to the same small shop that I went to earlier, we got a big basket of chips and shared them silent. I couldn’t quite place my finger on it, but there was something strange about him. It wasn’t just because I was attacked by aliens and poisoned by my old neighbor, no. There was something else.

“So, what exactly do you do, Doctor?” I asked, swirling a chips around in the ketchup.

“Well,” He started off, “I travel. Help people out when I can.”

I smiled a bit then asked, “How did you know that I was in danger?”

He returned the smile and leaned forward across the table. He said, “I didn’t.” He leaned back before continuing, “That’s just the joy, I guess. I get to meet a lot of interesting people.”

I snorted a laugh while saying, “I’m anything but interesting.”

“You?” He questioned, a slight smirk creeping up on his face, “I do believe I was talking about Mrs. Jenkins.”

I laughed out loudly by accident, causing my hands to fly to my mouth. He looked pleased with himself, having embarrassed myself like that. When I calmed down a bit, I noticed all the chips were gone. This some how told me that my time with the Doctor was up. And honestly, I was some what upset with this.

“Where are you off to now?” I asked him as we exited the shop.

He shrugged his shoulders and shoved his hands into his pockets. I followed him down the alley near my flat where I spotted a tall, wooden, blue police box. It looked older than the rest of the phone boxes in town. He stopped in front of it and pulled out a key to unlock it.

“Well, this is me,” he said before turning around to face me.

I nodded at him once (honestly, I could believe anything after what had happened) then said, “I hope to see you again, Doctor.” I backed up a bit and watched him start to enter the phone box. But he hesitated and poked his head back out of the door.

“You know, you could always come with me,” He noted with all the seriousness in the world. I raised an eyebrow at him, confusion overcoming my face. He smiled at me. It was warm smile. The kind of smile that made your heart flutter.

I crossed my arms over chest and asked, “And what exactly is going to happen if I come with you?”

He shrugged his shoulders again, his dorky smile still on his face. “Who knows?” He said, throwing his arms up in the air, “That’s the adventure.”

I stared at him, biting my lip. I had always been on my own and I made it out of every situation that I had ever come across. And now this man shows up, saves my life, and now he wants me to get inside his telephone box? It was a little too much to take in all at one time. As the silence and time filled the gap between us, his smile started fade.

“You don’t want to, do you?” He asked softly, realization hitting him in the face.

I shook my head, letting my hand stop him from moving. I closed my eyes and before I knew it, I was walking past him and into the blue box. When I opened my eyes, they went wide. That small blue box was freaking huge on the inside. I stood, frozen in place, staring at the wondrous contraption.

“Come on!” He shouted, “I know you want to say it!”

I looked at him and muttered, “This place is a mess.”

Confusion splashed upon his face as he watched me walk around the (what looked like) control board to whatever that thing did. Cords, knobs, levers, strings, were everywhere. They crossed over each other, twisting and getting tangled in a giant mess. The only seat was a battered up thing that could possibly hold two people at best.

“That’s not what people normally say,” He told me, throwing his long jacket off to the side.

I shrugged, sitting on the seat, picking at my nails. I wasn’t like most people. I was a loner and I honestly couldn’t stand a mess. It bothers me to no end when I walk into a room and it’s messy.

“But it is bigger on the inside,” I said, causing him to look at me with a bright smile on his face.

“Never gets old.”

I stifled a laugh as I craned my neck to look around a bit more. It was strange. I had only just met this man and then I’m sitting in this police box that looks small, but it’s really huge on the inside.

“So, what is this?” I asked him, bringing my legs up in the seat with me.

The Doctor started to press some buttons on the control panel. The whole thing started to shake. “It’s my TARDIS!” He yelled over the sounds it was making, “It can travel through time and space.”

I stopped looking around to stare at him. An eyebrow raised in confusion. Closing my eyes, I started to rub my temple.

“That can’t be true,” I muttered, “But after what I just saw, I guess it can?”

It ended more in a question. The TARDIS stopped moving, throwing me off the seat and on the floor. I groaned softly and pulled myself off the ground. The Doctor grabbed a hold of my hand and dragged me to the door. I thought he was kicking me out at first, but then he let go of me and opened the door.

I was looking at space. I was looking at stars and planets and it was amazing. I stepped closer, gripping the side of the door tightly. It was beautiful. It was something I thought I would never get to see as long as I lived. I looked over at the Doctor, another proud smile on his face.

“It’s beautiful,” I whispered, looking back out to it.

He nodded then started back to the control panel. He ran his hands over the side of it, then gestured me to come over to him. With one last look outside, I closed the door and joined him at his side.

“Alright,” He called, “since it’s your first adventure in the TARDIS, you get to choose your first destination.”

I perked up a bit, looking at him. I blinked at him a few times then looked around, as if he were talking to someone else. Then a raised a hand and lifted it to my chest.

“Me?” I asked, dumbfounded.

Throwing me a smile, he nodded. “Yep. So, where is it? Another world, the future, the past?”

My smiled once I heard him say the past. I nodded and shouted, “The past! The 20’s, or the 50’s. Or maybe even the 60’s! I could meet the Beatles!”

He threw back his head in laughter. Then he looked at me and smiled again. He nodded his head again and started to press buttons, and pull levers. The TARDIS starting shaking violently again, sending me to ground, once more. I held on to the railing for dear life until the machine stopped completely.

I stood up, then looked at the Doctor. He motioned me to go look, so I did. I took off running, throwing the door open. We were in the middle of London, but everyone was wearing puffy skirts and nice clothes. Their was a poster on a nearby wall. It read, “Welcome to the 60’s! The time of the future!” I ran back inside with my mouth hanging wide open. I had my finger pointed at the door.

“Now go an get changed,” He said nodding his head off to the door that I had somehow missed.

I nodded and raced through the door, following the directions that he was shouting at me. The room was huge! It was filled with clothes from different time periods. I started rummaging through some racks and found an outfit that I hoped would fit me.

I came back out with the blue dress on. I twirled a bit, liking the way the dressed moved around me. I clapped my hands together once, then skipped over to the Doctor who hadn’t changed. I gave him a strange look.

“Why aren’t you changing?” I asked, leaning against the control panel.

He looked up at me and smiled, “No one ever notices.”

He then ran to the doors of the TARDIS and flung the door open. I followed him outside, taking in the air. Small children ran about, jumping in the air, just so happy to be alive. Couples walked down the street, holding hands. Some of the girls walked with their boyfriend’s jackets on. It was too cute.

I squealed, jumping up and down, causing the Doctor to laugh amusingly. I looped my arm through his as we walked down the sidewalk. The town was fairly busy, but not enough for us not to get a seat in a local diner.

After getting full off of burgers, chips, and milkshakes, we decided to walk some more.

“So, Doctor,” I questioned, “How did you get a TARDIS anyways?”

He smirked in my direction, “I stole it.”

I snorted at his response, “I’m traveling with a fugitive then? What happens if you get caught?”

The Doctor’s proud smirk dropped within a mere second. His eyes darkened and his eyebrow knitted together. “No one will come looking for me,” He said darkly. I regretted asking that immediately. But I decided that I wouldn’t press on about.

We continued our walk in silence. Until a scream filled the busy streets of the past.