Status: Working on chapter two as you read this.

The House of Madness

A Dark Past, A Bright Future

Nalimir slowly awoke from his deep sleep to the pounding of boots against the hard, wooden floor and the clanking of metal armor chattering in unison with the thump of the boots. He knew that meant it was time for the night shift guards to relay their posts to the morning guards because the morning shift use to be his shift for the day before becoming captain of the guard a few months ago. Every morning he would get up at the same time and do the same uniform patrol patterns. Nalimir always hoped that some day he would rise to the captain of the guard so he could actually assist the peoeple of Dementia and their trying endeavors instead of just being allowed to report crimes or missing people. Now he could take action against the scoundrels dwelling in the underbelly of the realm of Dementia and bring them to justice.

Nalimir has always had so much passion towards justice ever since his mother was kidnapped do to unpaid gambling debts by his father. His father played cards constantly and would rarely win. Despote his inability to win, he thought himself a highroller and one day he bet money the house and money he did not have. Nalimir lost everything, including respect for his father, so he lived in the woods with nothing but the bow he had learned to make as a fletcher's apprentice in Dementia, some arrows he had made previously, and an empty stomach.

He eventually came back to Dementia in order to trade valuables he scavenged but had now use for. The captain of the guard, who is Nalimir's predecessor and a card player alongside his father, spotted him and told him that his father left town after the incident and that Astien, the fletcher, was willing to take him in. He declined the offer but asked if there was a spot fir him on the Dementia guard and since that day, he was working to get to the position he is now.

As captain, he worked all waking hours of the day and sometimes stayed up all day and night. He does however get special perks as the captain of the guard. For example, getting the best selection of weaponry from Erissa, the Dementia blacksmith, and Astien his former mentor. When Nalimir came to Astien after being sworn in as captain, Astien gave him the best bow in the Dementia, the madness bow.

He finally sat up slowly and rubbed his weary eyes while the remains of the unbearable memories that surfaced went away. He stretched excessively trying to wake his body up for the long day of work. At least i dont have to wear that armor anymore, he thought as he grabbed his chainmail shirt and lightly plated leggings. Another perk of being the captain of the guard, he thought.

Another perk it was indeed. Nalimir was able to wear his own set of armor different from patrol guards. Naturally being an archer, he preferred wearing the lightest armor available. He needed it to move quickly and shoot quickly. Regular guards, on the other hand, had to wear bulky steel plated armor and use standard steel longswords. It never suited Nalimir, especially with his small Bosmer frame.

He put on his armor and grabbed his bow and his quiver. He descended the circular staircase to the dining hall on the first level of the guards tower. He saw that most of the morning guards were getting ready to leave. The only one that remained eating was Synnius who was new to the guard. He was the recruit that filled Nalimir's old position. Synnius was a young man not far out of his teens. He had very short, black hair and grey eyes that seem to look deep into your soul when you lock eyes with him.

Nalimir walked over to the food store and grabbed himself a portion of a loaf of bread as well as an apple. With his other hand, he picked up a bottle of mead from the shelf. He sat right across from Synnius and placed his meal on the table. The young Synnius, despite being a towering nord and being far bigger then Nalimir, was slightly intimidated by the Bosmer and refused to look up from his meal. Nalimir figured it was because of his position, which was more than likely true, so he decided to try and lighten up the mood.

"So how have those ugly dolts been treating you so far Synnius?" Nalimir asked as he started to eat his bread which was a bit on the stale side, but it was up to par with the usual loaves of bread they received especially with this one being a couple days old.

Nalimir noticed that there was a slight smirk on Synnius's face after his question. His idea had worked.

"Pretty well, actually, they mess with me a bit but its expected since I'm the new guy, right?" Synnius replied as he shrugged.

"That's good," Nalimir replied as he stood up from his finished meal. "I gotta get going to the palace but if they give you any trouble let me know and I'll give them a warning shot for you," Nalimir added as he patted the broad nord on the shoulder.

"What do they need you at the palace for?" Synnius asked him as Nalimir stopped at the door.

He turned to Synnius with a near dumbfounded expression on his face. "You haven't heard yet? Jyggalag is back and he has an important message for me and the nobles," he replied as he continued out the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please let me know what you think :) It can be positive or negative feedback just anything that will help me in the long run would be great. Hope you enjoy :)