Status: Hiatus, for a bit

My Way Home Is Through You

Misinterpretation

As soon as the words had left Adrenaline’s mouth, I’d been struck with a fabulous idea. It had been as close to two years since she’d dragged me through the gates as I could count, so why couldn’t I surprise her and make her happy? Staying with the killjoys was making her crabby. I’d been given explicit orders from Fun Ghoul to stay in the diner. I was taller than him, though, which made the authority less intimidating.

“Finding Adrenaline’s bro-oh-uh-thers, gonna go find her family,” I sang to myself as I rifled around to look for my gun. It had to be hidden somewhere because Adrenaline knew where it was. I couldn’t just ask her for it though, that would ruin the whole surprise!

“Static? You out there?” She called, sticking her head out the door. “I wanted to say sorry- what are you doing?” The tone of her voice immediately switched from apologetic to warning as I raised the gun triumphantly in the air.

“I… um,” I tried hiding it behind my back and for a second it seemed to work when her focus shifted off me. “I was just, um, cleaning?” I finished weakly as Adrenaline’s lip set themselves into a tight line. The gun was ripped from my hands and I spun around to yell at whoever had done it before realizing it was Party Poison looming over me, looking murderous.

“I’m glad I came back to check on how the laundry was going,” he moved so one hand was gripping my short hair and the other was spinning the gun around his finger. “So, you thought you could play dumb? That we wouldn’t figure out that you would be planning something? Do you know what killjoys do to girls they find out in the desert alone? Do you know what could have happened to you if you went back out there?” He practically hissed in my face. “You should consider yourselves lucky we found you before some sex-starved drone did!”

“Lay off her!” Adrenaline demanded. “She never played dumb, you people just assumed that Static wasn’t smart because she sees the bigger picture. You weren’t going to run away, right Static?” I nodded. “See? Now let go of her head, back the hell up, and do your own damn laundry.”