Status: Hiatus, for a bit

My Way Home Is Through You

Zebras and Pharmacies

“Fine, the Kobra Kid told me he has a magazine with animal pictures in it.” I was used to being waved off. “He also said if I didn’t say anything bad about Party Poison around you he’d bring me back to the gas station and I could get more clothes.”

“Wait, he’ll bring you back? Static I need you to listen to me and remember all of this, alright? If anywhere, that’s where my brothers are going to look. I need you to leave them a message. Some sign to let them know where we are.” I nodded. “Good. If all else fails, just remember the taps. Take what comes out from them and put it on the walls.”

“Static, I found the page with the zebras!” I smiled briefly at Adrenaline before running over to the room I’d been staying in with Fun Ghoul and the Kobra Kid.

Turns out ADH didn’t trust them, not yet. She made that very clear. Her solution was to get them to think we trusted them and in return they would trust us until eventually we’d be able to go out by ourselves and start over somewhere else. She started acting weird around Party Poison though.

“You never actually told us much about yourself other than your name,” Kobra brought up as he put away the magazine. Jet Star had sort of joined us, sitting in a corner and pouring over a book I couldn’t read the title of.

“You never actually asked much else.”

“Alright, why dye your hair blue?”

“Why not? It’s my third favorite color, behind red and green.”

“So why wouldn’t you just do red or green?”

“Green looks out of place in the desert. Red is overdone. Blue, on the other hand, is easily mistaken for a mirage.”

“And your age? Any family members back in the city or out here?”

“Sixteen and a half give or take a week. Both of my parents work for the pharmacies. As far as I know, I don’t have any siblings. My dad started upping my dose about a week before Adrenaline helped me get out. He was prepared to completely numb me out. It was a fast withdrawal. Adrenaline says it messed with my brain and I revert and then shut down when I get scared.”

Jet Star whistled lowly and pulled off his sunglasses.

“You need to stop being so dependent on her. Seems like every time you talk, you repeat something she’s said. Who’s to say that Adrenaline is the one you should be trusting?”