Status: Hiatus, for a bit

My Way Home Is Through You

Melting Metal

“Now just stay here. Don’t answer the door unless they’re so messed up you’ll think they’ll die otherwise. That’s probably just going to be the dehydration so you can give them some of our water. Pick up the coveralls too before you answer.”

I looked down. I’d woken up in the middle of the night sweating, so I kicked off the coveralls and slept in my underwear.

“You still have your gun, right?” I picked it up and showed her. “I’m going to go, there’s still a few bikes chained outside so I’m going to try shooting it to melt the metal off.”

“I get it, I get it, I’ll keep watch over the stuff.” She smiled briefly before slamming the door. I could hear her cursing at the chains.

Adrenaline didn’t think I would be okay going out there with her. She was probably right, any sort of encounter could make me panic and blackout and then I would just be dead weight. Now I was a killjoy, though. Killjoys could do anything. We saw them all the time on posters pasted around the city. They weren’t afraid of anything.

Absolutely nothing happened the entire time ADH was away. No one came to the door, no one tried to blow the place up, and it didn’t even look like the sun had moved at all.

“I’m coming with you next time.” I said flat out the moment she walked in. “I can’t stand being left here.”

“Alright, next time you can go out. But I have to stay here. Someone always has to be here.” She replied, setting a box on the counter. “I got lucky and found a ton of stuff. Take a look.”

I immediately grabbed the first tank top I found and threw it on. We both picked through the box and slowly built up a full outfit.

“This is much better than the coveralls,” ADH said.

“Agreed.”

So for a year and a half that’s how we survived. We took turns going out for supplies, killed our fair share of dracs, and met a couple killjoys who helped us out even more by telling us how to avoid the city’s search parties.