Status: School's a bitch, and I'm not friends with her sister, so very very slow updates, but it's an active story.

Mile Marks

07

“Are we there yet?” I’d told Alex that we would stop for the night at some crappy motel and go out to eat some pizza, but every place we stopped at wouldn’t let us stay because we were both still only seventeen.

“Nope,” I said. “I don’t even know where there is, Lex.” It was getting dark now, the days were shorter because the summer was over. “Wait, maybe I do.”

He took his feet off of the dash and turned to face me. “Where?”

I didn’t take my eyes off the road, but still half turned my head, saying, “There’s this place I heard of on the internet…”

He rolled his eyes, “You can’t hear things on the internet.”

“You can if the volume is up.” Ha, I had him beat. “Anyways, there’s this place that you can stay, but it is filled with people without homes.” He raised his eyebrows. “It’s a tent city sort of thing. You go, park your car, and sleep there.”

“We could do that anywhere.”

“Yeah, but this way we can make friends.” He was skeptical, but with a little pushing and prodding, I got him to agree to sleep in the tent city tonight.

We were in Indianapolis. It was crazy that we were already a few states away from Lutherville, but we had only driven for a day. It was maybe six, and we were three whole states away from where we’d been for all of our lives.

“Lex?” I said, when we were driving to a pizza place.

“Yeah, Rome?” He looked over at me again.

“I propose that we visit every single state in our United States of America. Every single capital city of every single state.”

“Are you crazy? That’ll take us forever to do!” His eyebrows were scrunched, and he was looking at me like I’d gone mad.

“I thought you wanted to get away,” I said in a singsong voice.

“I do, but—“

I cut him off, “But what? Come on, Lex, we already visited Ohio, and we’re in the capital of Indiana!” Then, I pulled out all of the stops. I did puppy dog eyes. He was never able to say no when I looked so innocent, begging him to do whatever I wanted.

He sighed, “Fine, whatever, Rome, but I have some conditions.”

“Shoot.”

“One, we visit Disney World.” He looked at me, and I nodded, having always wanted to go to Disney World myself. “Two, we take a picture in front of the Hollywood sign.” Another thing I’d wanted to do. “Three, we see the tallest building in the United States. Four, you sing with me when I play guitar in a subway station.”

“Is that all?”

He thought for a moment, then said, “Probably not, but that’s all for now.”

“We’ll do as much as we can every place we go.”

He looked at me, smiling, and said, “When in Rome.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I kindof liked this chapter. Like, the when in Rome part. hehe(:

PLEASE COMMENT. PLEASE OH PLEASE OH PLEASE....

bitch.