‹ Prequel: Lumos: Year Two
Status: Active with Love!

Lumos: Year Three

Tonks

Lanee had always been excited for the first day of classes, but not this year. Sure, her classes sounded fun and interesting, but she was dreading going to Defense Against the Dark Arts later that afternoon, she’d have to face what she had been avoiding for some time now. Thinking about what she was going to say kept her up all night.

When the sun finally rose, Lanee rolled out of bed early and quickly drank and Wide-Eye Awakening potion she had brewed up over the summer. It gave her a burst of energy, as if she had slept that night. She thought about waking up Seamus and Dean so the three could get to breakfast early, but after she realized how early it was, she decided to go alone.

Entering the great hall, she sat down next to the youngest Weasley, someone she grew quite fond of last year.

“Hey Ginny.” Lanee greeted.

“Oh, hey Lanee. How was your summer?” The red haired girl asked, turning to face her.

She poured herself a glass of juice. “Nothing special, I heard you went to Egypt.”

“Yeah, my dad won some money and the whole family went.” Ginny bit into a piece of toast because pointing at Lanee’s eyebrow. “You get your eyebrow pierced! It looks wicked.”

“Thanks, I’ve wanted this one for a while.”

Ginny nodded. “It makes you look tougher. Good for your rematch with Parkinson, right?”

“My rematch with Parkinson?” Lanee asked.

“Yeah, she’s telling everyone you two are gonna fight again and she’s gonna win.” Ginny informed Lanee. “But I really doubt she’ll be able to take you on.”

“I’m done fighting, I got in a lot of trouble last year and I’d get kicked out if I fight again.” She explained, right before Helena walked up. Ginny turned back to her friends and Lanee gave her attention to her Slytherin friend.

Dean and Seamus showed up a short while later, Seamus complaining about not being woke up. Lanee noted to get him an alarm clock as a gift sometime. After breakfast was over, all four of them had Divinology, a subject Lanee was dreading to go to. She thought the class was going to be complete nonsense; the future was constantly changing, so how could anyone predict it?

“No, no, three to a table at most, please.” A women with extremely large eyes and unbrushed hair said as the four sat down together. Lanee went to suggest that her and Seamus move, but Dean was already standing up.

“Always gotta cut out the black guy, right?” He said. Lanee couldn’t help but laugh.

“No, I’ll sit somewhere else.” Helena stopped him, saying that she could try to make some new friends. Maybe some friends in her own house would be nice, Lanee thought. Yet, most Slytherin’s were a lot different from her.

After an introduction to the class and an explanation of how it was going to run, Trelawny told them to divide into pairs and they would do tea readings. Dean moved to pair up with someone who was sitting alone, leaving Seamus and Lanee to read each other’s tea leaves.

“Um, well I see a dagger, and that means=” Seamus flipped through his book. “Danger from self or others, beware. Um, okay. There’s an eye and that means caution. Oh, a heart, that means love.” He looked up and winked at her before going back to her cup. “A loop, that means to avoid impulse actions.” He set the cup down, finishing her reading.

Although she thought this class was complete bull, the last symbol spoke to her. Avoid impulse decisions. Lanee only made impulse decisions, she barley ever thought things through, hence why she was in Gryffindor. How odd it was, though, that this message would come to her when she was soon to face the brown eyes once more?

She picked up his. “There’s a huge heart in here, so love for you, too.” Lanee winked. “The heart takes up most of the cup, but there’s a thimble here too, that means-“She flipped the page in her book. “Changes at home.”

“What kind of changes?” He asked immediately in a worried tone.

“It doesn’t say, are you okay?” Lanee asked. He looked almost as pale as he did on the train.

Before he could respond, Trelawney screamed. Harry Potter had the grim in his cup.

Next, they had Transfiguration. Lanee had to admit that this class made her quite cocky. They did some self transfiguration in the past, all of which was a breeze for Lanee, who didn’t need to use her wand. Changing other objects was another story though. She didn’t pay attention for most of the lecture.

“Miss Tonks? A word please?” McGongall said after class was dismissed. “I know with you being a Metamorphagus and all, self-transfiguration is easy for you, but that isn’t all this class is about.”

“I know, Professor.”

“I didn’t want to talk about class though; I wanted to ask about your violent tendencies. You got off easy last year after all your incidents, you’re lucky you didn’t get into any serious trouble. But let me make myself clear, one more fight this year and we have no choice but to send you home. Now, I don’t want to see you leave the school, you belong here, but I’m only telling you the rules. Understand, Miss Tonks?”

“Yes, Professor.”

Next was Care of Magical Creatures, a class Lanee was very excited for, she loved other creatures. And the class would be even more excited now that Hagrid was teaching. She didn’t know how it happened, but she found herself holding hands with Seamus on their way down the hill towards the edge of the forest.

After petting the spine and taming her book, Lanee was able to look through the book and read about the many creatures they would be learning about this year. Hippogriffs, unicorns, thestrals, and a lot of other interesting topics. Today was hippogriffs.

It appeared to be like a horse, except for the long wings, feathered body, and sharp beak.
Harry was chosen to approach the creature. Everyone was silent as he approached the proud animal, everyone nervous about how the Hippogriff would react. Sure enough, he accepted Harry’s presence and before anyone knew it, he was flying away on the animal.

“Potter gets to do all the fun stuff.” Dean sighed as they flew away.

“I didn’t see you volunteering to go touch him.” Seamus responded.

Dean shrugged. “So what’d you guys see in your tea cups?”

“Love and it told me not to act impulsively.” Lanee told him.

Dean snorted. “Like that’s gonna happen, you are the definition of impulsive, ‘Nee.”

“My cup was basically a huge heart.” Seamus rolled his eyes.

“Maybe you’ll get a girlfriend this year.” Dean teased.

Seamus laughed. “Yeah, with my charm. Girls just loved a short, exploding Irish kid.”
“I don’t know man; Lavender has always been pretty into you.” When Dean said this, a flash of anger went through Lanee’s body. She didn’t like anyone liking Seamus, it just didn’t seem right.

He shrugged. “But I don’t like her.” Lanee smiled.

Harry returned shortly after, and the lesson and excitement seemed to be over. Until Malfoy spat at the Hippogriff. In swift movement, the creature scratched the blonde, and knocked him over.

Well, there went Hagrid’s teaching job.