Turning Tables

Songs into my Window

I glared at his handsome, frustrated face and frowned. Why couldn’t he just leave me alone?

But I couldn’t help but feel a little bit giddy at the fact that he’d come all this way to see me.

“Tyler, I--”

“Tyler, dear?” The front door had opened, and Mom was out on the front step, smiling at Tyler. I’d noticed she’d put lipstick on.

Seriously?

“We were just about to have lunch. Would you like to join us?”

I opened my mouth the answer for him and inform Mom that he was just leaving, but he beat me to it. “Yes, please, I’d love to.” He smiled triumphantly down at me and strode right past me, into my own house.

Ugh. I followed reluctantly. At this point, I’d rather eat acorns outside with the squirrels.

Inside the dining room, I noticed that Mom had already set up five plates. She hadn’t expected Tyler to say no, and he didn’t.

We were all seated around the table when Jeremy strode him. His eyes widened at the sight of Tyler and he looked at me with a sort of appreciation and admiration, something he’d never before bestowed upon me.

Figures.

Dad immediately launches into wine talk as Tyler listens intently, nodding now and then, stealing glances at me as Mom serves us barbecue chicken and mashed potatoes.

“How long are you down here, Tyler?” Jeremy asked, his mouth full of food. Mom scolds him.

“I’m not sure,” he replied, looking at me. “I was hoping to catch a ride back with Luce.” Like he couldn’t afford a private jet back.

“Lucy isn’t leaving for another two days. Where are you staying?” Mom asked.

“A hotel around here,” he said dismissively, not mentioning a name. I had a feeling it was the Ritz-Carlton, which was five minutes away, but I appreciated his modesty.

“That’s nonsense!” Mom protested like she was a member of PETA and we were eating a live chicken. “We have plenty of room here! You should just--”

Dad did something I’d never seen him do before. He noticed. And he cleared his throat then at my panicked expression.

“Now, Tyler’s just settled in, we don’t want to make him move everything here. I’m sure wherever he’s staying is much nicer than here…”

I smiled gratefully at Dad, but he neither noticed nor acknowledged me, instead focusing his attention on a steamed piece of carrot.

Lunch goes by without further incident, and to my surprise, Tyler leaves after many thanks without any insistence from me.

I was in my room, reading an article about the Bruins’ latest win when a soft knock on my door interrupted me.

“Come in,” I called. Dad walked in, sitting gently on the edge of my bed.

“That wasn’t Matt, right?”

I rolled my eyes. He made me seem like a slut.

“No, Dad,” I said dryly. “That was Tyler. Remember?”

“You like him?”

For the second time in one day, Dad surprised me. I just stared at him over the top of my laptop.

“And he likes you.” This time it wasn’t a question. It was a fact, the way Dad said it. I narrowed my eyes at him. Who was this man?

“Where is this going?” I asked slowly, cautiously. I never knew what to expect with my Dad. And today just proved that beyond anything else.

“Nowhere,” he said simply. “Unless you do something about it.”

…..

I left after lunch without a fight. Besides, I was planning on going back, so I didn’t mind leaving.

Something had happened between Lucy and her Dad. The entire table could feel it, but no one acknowledged it. So I left to give them a chance to figure whatever it was out.

I sat in my suite at the Ritz-Carlton, not five minutes from Lucy’s house. She was so close, but I couldn’t even touch her. She’d probably kick me in the nut if I tried after what she saw. I'd much rather be there than here, but again, Lucy would probably throw a fit if I went anywhere near her again.

Maybe coming down here was a mistake. She was as stubborn as ever. I was wanted make her see how much she meant to me.

And I would, even if it took every ounce of me.

Around midnight, I got in the rental car and drove towards her house. I’d never done this before, but there was a first time for everything. I snuck to the back of the house, looking down and around for the next step of my plan.

Crap. There weren’t any pebbles on the grass. How come this looked so easy on TV? There should be a fucking manual for things like this.

For example, pick up rocks from gravel driveway before proceeding to the backyard, where no rocks existed on the grass.

I trekked back to the front of the house. It was harder than it seemed, since it was pitch dark and i had nothing but the moonlight to see by.

On the driveway, I picked up two handfuls of small rocks, stuffing them into the pocket of my sweatpants.

Back in the yard, I picked out a rock and wound back to throw.

Shit.

Which one was her window?

Goddammit.

Why was this so difficult?

I wouldn’t want Jeremy’s. It was kinda cute how he worshipped me. And his sister, because she knew me. But I definitely didn’t want to throw rocks at his window.

Worst, I didn’t want her parents waking up to find me in the backyard.

The third window suddenly erupted with light. It had a soft glow, like someone had turned on a lamp or something. I took a deep breath, wound back, and tossed the rock.

….

I think my mouth literally fell off and hit the floor when Dad said that, as if he was asking me what my favorite ice cream flavor was.

Nothing would happened unless I did something about it?

Needless to say, I couldn’t sleep that night. I tossed and turned; knowing Tyler was so close, yet so far away.

Could it be that what I saw in his apartment wasn’t what I thought it was? I mean, he did come all this way to see me.

After trying and failing to fall asleep, I sat up and turned on my bedside lamp. Reading always put me to sleep.

Suddenly, I heard a thunk on my window, and I whipped my head around.

Probably a bird. Unconscious now, from flying into my window. Maybe I should go find it?

Then I heard another bang. Another unconscious bird?

What the hell?

Getting up, I drew back the green, gauzy curtain, expecting to find some dead birds.

Tyler stood in my backyard, dressed in sweats. It was dark, but I knew he had a bunch of rocks in his hand.

I pushed opened the window. “What are you doing?” I hissed. I tried to sound mad, but I was more amused than anything.

“What does it look like I’m doing?” He hissed back. “Come down!”

I shook my head, but I was smiling. “It’s cold!”

“Put a jacket on. I’m not leaving till you come down. I’ll keep tossing rocks until you do and it might just wake--”

“Okay! Fine!” I closed the window. I was smiling like an idiot. This was ridiculous. I was just going to tell him to go away. Let him say what he wanted to say, then ask him nicely to leave.

Right.

I had on a loose tank and panties so I threw on a bathrobe, cinching the waist tightly to fight the cold.

I tiptoed downstairs and into the kitchen. I could see him clearly through the glass door, even though it was midnight. The moonlight reflected perfectly on him. He grinned at me when he saw the backdoor open.

My heart leapt in my chest and I took a deep breath.

Just let him say what he wanted to say, I reminded myself. That's it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry my updates are so sporadic! School just started again so I've been busy. As always, thanks for reading!! <3