Turning Tables

Round Two

“Lucy,” my boss, Gloria, said from her desk across the room, “Can you get these to Marketing?” I got up, taking a manila folder heavy with documents from her.

“Sure,” I said, heading out of her office and mine as well for the time being. I made my way from our side of the Garden to the Marketing Department. I was careful to tip toe around, watchful for anyone else coming my way. I’d been able to avoid a certain someone for almost two weeks now.

I was very aware of the implications I’d acquired by kissing Tyler Sequin not once, but twice. Most people were the same; they wanted something they couldn’t have, and they wanted it more.

Tyler Sequin was no different.

I didn’t want someone like him pursuing me. I mean, it was Tyler Sequin. He wanted one thing and one thing only, and once he got it, I’m sure he would forget my name right away. But it was nice to know that I had that kind of effect on someone. Let alone a hockey god like Tyler Sequin.

It was strange. I wasn’t this kind of person. I hadn’t been much of a looker in high school. Crooked teeth and bad eyes meant a face full of metal. And I was about thirty pounds heavier.

When I got into my dream school, I knew it was a sign for me to change and better myself. I didn’t know what I was expecting, but I spent all summer working out and eating better, and not surprisingly, it worked.

No guys had looked at me twice, and if they did, it was because of my three hot friends. I was used to feeling like a wallflower, but feeling like a catch was nice.

More than nice. It was amazing.

Still, I didn’t go out a lot. BU was rigorous, and I needed to work hard to keep up. So I did. When I did go out, I was a bundle of nerves, especially around a hot guy. I don’t know where all the nerves were when I fell onto the Bruins player’s lap.

I had oozed confidence, and it felt amazing to know I had that kind of control. Maybe I was trying to stretch out this little tryst of ours as long as it’ll go. But mostly, I just liked the surge of energy I felt when I was around him.

All two times that I’ve been in contact with him. And both times, he’d held my hand and I had kissed him! It was true the first time I had been drunk, and therefore uncharacteristically brave. The second time, well, that was all me, on some sort of high because he had held my hand again.

I was afraid of what a third time would result in.

…..

I hadn’t seen Lucy for two weeks now, and it drove me crazy. I was taking strange, loopy routes from my car to the locker room, from the showers to the equipment room, and various other time consuming combinations just so I might run into her.

Then I saw her in Marketing as I walked past the office. I shouldn’t have been surprised. Nothing about this girl was predictable, and all the times I’d come into contact with her had been on her terms.

I wasn’t used to dealing with someone who had the upper hand (unless I’d given it to them), but I could deal. Sooner or later, I’d get Lucy back to my apartment and the world would be right again.

I waited for her to come out, and waited a beat before following her down the hallway. If she was surprised to see me, she didn’t show it.

“Hey,” I said, pulling the strap of my hockey back further up my shoulder.

“Hey.”

That’s it. No pleasantries or niceties.

Okay, so she was playing hard to get. No big deal. Girls loved games, and I could play even if I didn’t know the rules.

“So listen,” I started, speeding up a little to keep pace with her. She had these really long, lean legs that looked like they could run circles around me. “I was thinking we could get lunch sometime.” It wasn’t a question, just a statement.

Girls loved that kind of directedness. They didn’t like guys who beat around the bush, and I was definitely not that kind of guy.

“I’m okay. Thanks, though.”

I literally stopped in my tracks.

“Whadda you mean, no thanks?” I snapped. Was this girl for real?

She stopped, whirled around and faced me and said slowly. “I mean thanks for asking, but no, I’m okay. Not hungry yet.” She shrugged, then she twirled back around and made her way down the hallway.

“You have to eat sometime!” I shouted after her, a little desperately.

She turned down a hallway. “Then I’ll eat alone!”

“Who has to eat?” Tim Thomas asked from behind me. I jumped and felt heat creeping into my cheeks.

Shit.

“No one,” I mumbled, following him to the locker room.

…..

Ohmygod.

Tyler had asked me to get lunch and I’d said no. Sure, lunch probably meant something else, but still.

I’d said no. Why the hell had I said no? It was probably the only time he’d ask me, and I had turned him down.

“Luce, you okay?” Kelly waved a hand in front of my face, bringing me back to reality. I nodded and took a bite of my burger. It was just as well, he’d moved onto someone else and things would go back to normal.

Someone like Kelly, who was beautiful and the type of girl guys couldn’t stop looking at. Her golden blonde locks even looked great under the fluorescent lights of the dining hall. I’d been getting out of work around dinnertime most nights, but I knew that wouldn’t be the case once the season got under way.

“Just tired,” I lied easily, because it was true. “This internship is kicking my ass.” My official title was PR intern, but that was just the unofficial title for office aid, equipment sorter, file clerk, and any other job Gloria or anyone else wanted to throw at me.

I found myself doing all kinds of stuff at work. It was nothing bad, just a random chore here or there outside of my PR duties. I didn’t mind it though, everyone was nice and welcoming.

I’d run into Tim Thomas the other day, and ever since then, we’d joke around all the time about his Capital One commercial. It never got old. Everyone treated me like an equal, not just an intern.

“We still going out tonight?” Kelly asked suspiciously. I’ve been known to cancel last minute due to mysterious illnesses and no one ever believed me when I said I would go out with them.

I rolled my eyes. “Yes, I said I would.”

She grinned. “Just don’t get hypothermia or something last minute, okay?”

…..

After a long, hot shower, I felt fresh and confident, ready for a night out on the town. We had our first game against the Flyers tomorrow and I needed to let loose before buckling down and kicking ass on the ice.

I had my game face on tonight, but it was for a different reason. I was in the mood for a brunette tonight. And this had nothing to do with a stubborn brunette that worked at the Garden.

Dressed in a white shirt and jeans, I got into my car and headed into downtown. A couple of the guys and I were going to drink the night away at some club Lucic swore was full of hot girls.

Inside, the bar was your typical scene: couples grinding on the crowded dance floor, music pulsing loudly, and lighting so dim I couldn’t see my own hands in front of me. The bouncer looked at my ID and looked at me, then ushered me in.

I wasn’t 21 yet, but no one cared how old you are when you’re Tyler Sequin. The thrill of underage drinking had long past though, and I made my way into the bar, spotting Lucic and the guys sitting at a booth against the wall.

“’Sup Sequin,” Bartkowski called as I walked up to the booth. He had a girl under each arm already, and it wasn’t even close to eleven yet.

Lucic got up and slapped my hand. “Meet Dani and Darla,” he said, gesturing to two other girls at the table. I nodded as they giggled. Dani was the prettier of the two, and was probably the one I’d be taking home tonight.

“Where’s Horton?” I asked. He’d texted me earlier, asking if I was coming out.

“Getting shots I think. I don’t know what’s taking him so long,” Lucic said, sitting back down next to Darla. I nodded again before taking a seat.

I just wanted to be drunk already.

…..

Kelly forced me into a red, skintight, long sleeved dress that barely covered my ass. The sleeves were completely pointless, too, since they were lace.

“You look hot,” she assured me, but I thought my butt was going to fall out anytime soon now.

The bar was in full swing by the time we got there, and Kelly was off like a shot as soon as we set foot in the door. I had had fun last time I was in a bar with Frieda and the girls, but I wasn’t sure how tonight would play out. Kelly and I were still new friends, and I hadn’t wanted to cancel on her again.

I sat at a small table alone, praying Kelly would come back soon so I could tell her I was feeling nauseous.

I tried to remember what was different between this bar scene and the last, and realized that my best friends had forced shot after shot down my throat, while Kelly, who I had met just last year, was off grinding with some guy on the small, crowded dance floor.

I was about to get up and just ditch when a shot glass was set in front of me. Amber liquid sloshed onto the sticky table.

“You looked like you needed a drink,” the guy said, sitting down across from me. “Lucy, right?” I looked at the somewhat familiar face. I was sure I’d seen him before.

“That obvious?” I blushed, downing the shot. Then I remembered. “Nathan?” I’d seen him around the Garden, but never did more than smile as we passed each other.

He beamed. “Yeah, I see you all the time. You look great. I mean, you always look great at work, but now you look differently great.”

I tried to follow his train of thought, amused. “Thanks, you look good, too.” What else could I say?

“Wanna dance?”

I had no intentions of going home with the guy, but a dance or two couldn’t hurt.

“Let’s do another shot first,” I suggested before getting up and following him.

Half an hour and three shots later, I was hot and sweaty from dancing around with Nathan. He was cute, but definitely not my type. I liked a guy with hair I could run my hands through and Nathan was a crew cut kind of guy.

Ugh. Run my hands through? Three shots in, and I was tipsy already.

Nathan was behind me, hands on my hips, swaying along to the beat of the loud music. His breath was hot on my neck as we danced.

“Wanna get out of here?” he nearly shouted into my ear.

No.

“Yes,” I said, equally loud. I could feel him nod against my ear. He untangled our bodies and took my hand.

“Lemme tell the guys I’m leaving,” he said, pulling me along. We went around the dance floor and finally reached a booth, where a group was sitting. I stumbled to a stop in front of the booth, and made eye contact with the last person I wanted to see right now.

Tyler frowned down at us, and the frown only deepened when he noticed my hand in Nathan’s.

“Lucy,” he snarled by way of greeting, sitting up a little straighter and causing the girl in his arm to shift uncomfortably.

“Horton, where the shots at?” Lucic unglued his lips from a pretty blonde to shout. Then his eyes found me. “Oh, hey Luuuuuucy!”

I smiled back at the greeting. Lucic was always so friendly.

“I’m gonna head out but I’ll see--”

“I need to talk to you,” Tyler interrupted Nathan, getting up suddenly and nearly elbowing the girl drooped over him. She dodged and narrowly avoided his arm. He was down the few steps in seconds and had my arm in his grip a second later.

Nathan stood dumbfounded as Tyler led me away.

…..

“What do you think you’re doing?” I demanded as soon as we were hidden under a dark alcove in the bar. She stared up at me blankly.

“What does it look it I’m doing?” she responded. She was wearing a tight red dress with long sleeves, but they were completely useless, since they were all lacy and see through.

“You planning on letting Horton take you home or something?” I asked. I had no idea why I was asking. What she did was her own business. I had no idea where this possessiveness was coming from. I didn’t own her. We weren’t together.

But I was mad. Mad she’d go home with him and not me.

“That’s none of your business,” she spat, pushing me away and trying to move past me. I didn’t budge.

“Are you trying to play hard to get, Luce?” I sneered. “Huh? Cause this offer won’t last long. I can have any girl I want.”

She scoffed, and I probably would, too, if I had just witnessed that lame ass speech of mine. “Go for it,” she said, hands on my chest again, giving me a hard shove that did nothing. “I’m not interested in whatever disease you’re carrying around.”

She was smirking as my insides boiled. I was pissed, but more than that, I was fighting every instinct I had, telling me to push her up against the wall and kiss her. A kiss that left her wanting more, like she’d done to me twice now.

She was playing with me, I knew, but that didn’t stop me from getting all worked up about it.

“Move,” she insisted. “I’m leaving.”

“The hell you are,” I replied, pressing her against the wall.