Turning Tables

Third Time's a Charm

“Get off me!” I yelped, only half meaning it. I put the entire length of my forearms against his chest and pushed, but it was like pushing a brick wall. He wouldn’t even budge.

Okay, I didn’t really mean it at all, and he knew it, too. He had me pinned against the wall; hands flat on either side of my head and hips held mine back. He looks absolutely delicious in his black shirt and jeans. Despite the position I’m in, I can’t help but admire his easy good looks and cocky confidence as she stands over me.

I could feel his heartbeat; see him breathing as hard as I was. I didn’t know how I was going to get out of this one.

He kissed me then, long and hard, and I kissed him back. I could have sworn I felt a spark inside me, and then my body combusted and everything began to melt. My lips felt like they were on fire as they moved along with his against my will. His hands lowered themselves and grabbed my waist, circling around until they found the small of my back. He pulled forward, and I pressed up against his warm body.
He slipped his tongue in between my slightly parted lips and I turned away then, breaking our kiss.

“Is this how you get girls, Sequin?” I baited, breathing hard. “You force them into a dark corner against their will?”

He smirked, looking down at me with dark brown eyes I could stare into for hours. He knew I was full of shit.

“Fuck you,” he snapped indignantly.

“You’d like that, wouldn’t you?” I kissed him again, because I knew it the only way to get out of this before doing something I would regret.

Or want to regret.

I lost myself for a second, tasting him so I wouldn’t forget. I ran my hands down his hard, sculpted chest. Then, when I knew his guard was just as mushy as mine, I shoved as hard as I could, and he stumbled backwards as our lips broke apart.

Cold air rushed in to fill the space his body had occupied.

“See you around, Sequin,” I walked away, and this time, he didn’t stop me.

…..

“Fuck,” I panted as I collapsed on top of Dani. She crawled out from underneath me, cuddling against my side.

“What was that all about?” Horton had snapped at me as soon as I was back at the table.

“Just something for work,” I replied tersely before extending a hand to Dani. She looked at it confusedly, then took my hand. He stared at me, brows knitted together. But I didn’t care, I was ready to get out of there.

“Where’s Lucy?” he called after me, but I ignored him.

“That was amazing,” Dani gushed, snuggling into my arms.

I felt weird. I didn’t know any other way to describe it. It wasn’t a normal feeling for me after I’d just had sex, but it’s the only feeling I could think of right now. And it wasn’t even a feeling.

I knew the only reason I wanted Lucy so bad was because she was resisting me. It’s not like a girl hasn’t played hard to get before. It’s a foolproof plan on the girl’s part.

But they never held out this long. They were afraid I would lose interest. As soon as I’d act like I was moving on, they’d practically leap into bed with me.

That’s it, I thought. I had to be the one to play hard to get.

Yeah, I’d told her my offer wouldn’t last long, but honestly, I was lying. I wanted this girl. Badly.

She’d called my bluff, but when she’d kissed me back, I thought I had her.

Except I didn’t. Because she walked out of there without a single look back.

Was I losing my touch?

I glanced at Dani, all long, smooth and white limbs tangled with mine.

No, I hadn’t lost anything.

Lucy was fucking nuts, that’s all.

….

It was nearly one in the morning, and I was just getting off work. First game of the season against the Flyers, and the Bruins had won 3 to 1. Everyone was in a good mood and had left as soon as they could, out to celebrate.

It was too bad my ride had canceled on me and didn’t bother to tell me until five minutes before I got off.

“What do you mean you can’t come get me?” I screamed in to my phone.

“There’s so much traffic and I have an early class tomorrow,” Matt apologized. “It’ll take me an hour to get to you anyway. It’s better if you just take the train.”

“You were supposed to leave an hour ago!” I pointed out angrily.

“I got held up. Sorry Luce,” Matt said. I could see him shrugging on his end.

I hung up, throwing my phone into my bag with more force than necessary. I pushed the double doors at the end of the hallway opened and was hit full force with a gust of cold wind. Sharp needles of water sped from the sky and hit my face.

Great, it HAD to be raining.

I made my way along the darkened alleyway. I could spy the main streets ahead, full of bright lights and sparse crowds, still celebrating the win.

The rain beat down on my shoulders. It had been a nice day when I had headed out to class this morning, and I had nothing on but a tank top and a light cardigan. My jeans were completely soaked. I reached the sidewalk, turning left towards the station.

I shivered, only keeping warm because of the hatred I was feeling towards Matt right now. Matt, who was supposed to pick me and up, and who was waiting for me back at my place.

I should just not show up and let him believe I’d been brutally murdered. It’d serve him right.

Someone honked their horn and I jumped a mile high. I turned, and saw Tyler roll up in a sleek SUV.

Could this night get any better?

“Need a lift?” he asked, rolling slowly along with me.

“I’m good.” Fuck. Why am I so stubborn?

“Get in, Harper, before you get hypothermia.” I stopped. I was freezing. He stopped the car, right next to me, and I ran around to the passenger side, climbing in gratefully.

“Thanks,” I mumbled. “My ride bailed.”

“Where to?” he asked, looking forward. Really? Not even going to suggest his apartment?

“Your place?” I asked, knowing he wouldn’t decline.

Fuck Matt.

…..

I almost chocked at the answer. Had she finally given up? Maybe she was delusional from the onset of hypothermia. She was soaked.

I didn’t argue, and drove towards my apartment. I didn’t think she’d give in so easily. It didn’t seem like her, from what little of her I did know. I had been prepared for a bigger fight.

This was way too easy. This night couldn’t get better, could it? A win, a few drinks with the guys, AND Lucy? It was too good to be true.

“Don’t try anything,” she warned. “I just want my ride to think I’ve been murdered.”

Of course it was too good to be true. I rolled my eyes, but kept driving.

She looked around my apartment in awe, shuddering from her wet clothes. I took her dripping bag and laid it on the counter before turning the heat way up. I went into the bedroom, rooting around for anything that would fit her.

This was strange. I was used to bringing a girl here and taking her clothes OFF, not giving her more clothes. Back in the living room, she stood by the door, damp, but a little drier due to the heat in the car.

I tossed the t-shirt and shorts at her.

“You can change in the bedroom,” I hooked a thumb behind me at the room I just vacated. She moved past me wordlessly and disappeared through the door.

I ordered Chinese, picking one of everything from the menu. Sitting on the couch, I turned on the television.

A highlight from tonight’s game came on, but I didn’t hear what the announcer said because Lucy came out then, wearing the shirt and shorts I’d given her. The shirt fit her well. She was slim, but tall for a girl and I could just make out the outline of her breasts through the white material. The shorts were rolled up and covered most of her thighs, but I wasn’t worried about that right now.

Lucy help damped clothes in her hands. I could discern the straps of a bra, which explained the little points on her chest.

She wasn’t wearing a bra. Or underwear.

NOW I was worried about the shorts.

“Can I throw these in the dryer?” She asked, drawing my attention back to her face. Her hair fell in wet waves down the front of the shirt and her pale face was flushed pink.

“Sure,” I croaked, “Down the hall.” She disappeared, and I took the time to compose myself.

I looked down, glad I was wearing jeans and not basketball shorts or anything that would give me away.

Breathe, I told myself. Just breathe.

….

When I got back to the living room, I noticed about twenty little Chinese takeout boxes on the coffee table.

“Thought you might be hungry,” Tyler shrugged.

“Thanks,” I said uneasily. I took a seat next to him on the floor, where he was sitting cross-legged in front of the coffee table, eating out of one of the cartons. He rolled his eyes at my surprised expression.

“I know how to be nice,” he said, nudging me with an elbow.

“Never said you weren’t nice.” I dug into a carton of fried rice.

“Tell me honestly, my ego’s a little bruised,” he said conversationally. It seemed like all events in the past weeks were just normal, everyday events, and now we were discussing them like they were tonight’s game. “How come you were going to go home with Horton and not me?”

I knew this would come up again. I shrugged.

“I wasn’t going anywhere with him,” I answered honestly. “I couldn’t even if I wanted to.”

He frowned. “Why are you here now?” he asked bluntly, cutting to the chase. I didn’t really know the answer to that.

“I told you, I’m freaking my ride out,” I said instead. What WAS I doing here?

“Are you attracted to me at all?” he pressed on, a little hesitant.

I laughed. “Doesn’t matter,” I said, being honest again. “Nothing can happen between us. Just give it up, Tyler, it’s not going to happen.”

“Why?”

I ignored the question. “Plus, you’re not the kind of guy a girl can bring home.”

…..

“Ouch,” I said, feigning shock. It was true, but it still stung a little to hear her say it out loud. “Thanks.”

“Like I said, it doesn’t matter. It’ll never work out between us.” I didn’t want it to work out; I just wanted a night with her.

A hot and heated night.

But she was talking about a relationship, which was ridiculous. She was joking, right? I don’t do relationships.

“You’d be so great in bed, I wouldn’t be able to forget about you, and I’d have to quit working at the Garden and end up as a prostitute because no grad schools will except me.”

Oh, she was joking.

Right.

She yawned. “Can I have your couch tonight?” She got up and started to clear off the coffee table.

You can have anything.

“Take the bed,” I insisted, getting up to help. After another five minutes of arguing, I gave in and let her take the couch, but I made sure she had all my spare sheets and pillows.

I laid in bed, eyes seeing nothing but black, completely wide awake due to the knowledge that Lucy was outside on my couch, wearing my clothes. And not in here with me. On me, or under me.

I tossed and turned, trying to find a comfortable position. A soft knock on the door and then it opened. Light footsteps entered the room and I saw a figure approach the bed.

“It’s cold outside,” she whispered, like we were sharing a secret.

YES! I don’t care that she gave in easily. She was in bed with me; I was so ready for this. I moved to spoon her from behind. She didn’t push me away like I suspected, but buried herself against me. I couldn’t believe this was finally happening.

“I meant what I said before,” she murmured into the pillow. “We can spoon, but no funny business.”

Seriously?

Fuck my life.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading and subscribing! I do a happy dance every time I get a comment! :)