Status: In progress

My Only One

This could be good.

~Megan~
I hated moving. It was the worst thing I have ever had to do. Me and my two little sisters, Angela and Alyssa, piled out of the car to look at our new home. It was big, it was beautiful and I actually liked it. But all I wanted to do at this point was turn around and go back home, if I actually knew where home was. “Are you guys excited for our new house?” Groans escaped me and my sisters’ mouths as my mom tried to make us happy.

My family and I have moved around so much I wouldn’t really say I had a home, and I never really have. The longest I’ve stayed in a place was three years; my first three years. I don’t know why we move so much; my mom says it’s none of my business.

Bitch, it is my business. I’m the one dragging my ass across the country every five months. I at least have the right to know why. Every time we move, it’s in a different state, sometimes on the opposite end of the country. I don’t have a real friend out there, anywhere. It was kind of sad but it’s the way I wanted it to be. If I made friends, I would just end up leaving them. Right now, we had just made our way to Baltimore, Maryland. Cool.

My mom says that this is our last home and we won’t ever move again. I told her to stop trying to bullshit me and my sisters. We aren’t stupid. Where’s your dad? Hmm….I doesn’t really know, and I don’t plan on finding out. He left me and my mom when I was two and I really don’t care why and I don’t care where he went because he’s dead to me. If he cared about me that much, he would still be here.

My two other sisters and I aren’t for real. They are my half-sisters and we don’t have a clue who their parents are either. My mom gets around. That’s all I have to say about that.
I shuffled into our house, looking for my new room. We each got to pick our own. That was the only plus to living here. I have never had my own room before now. When I walked into the house, there was a grand staircase that led up to the second and third floor and a chandelier hanging above it. To my right and to my left there were two doorways that led to God knows where. I didn’t care. I headed up the stairs to pick a room.
I scanned the hallways for the perfect bedroom. I peeked inside each of the doors and didn’t find one that suited me. The last room at the end of the third floor hallway was the only room that I hadn’t checked.

I gently pushed open the door and stepped inside. It was the most amazing room I had ever been in. Too bad it wasn’t a bedroom. I loved to read and I don’t think I had ever been in a home library before today. It was ginormous and there were at least ten huge bookcases against the wall. I walked around the whole room, my hand hitting each of the bookcases as I walked.
The bookcases were all empty except for one book in the middle bookcase on the left side of the room. I attempted to pull the book off the shelf but the only thing I could do was slide it across the shelf. I did just that and when I did, the bookcase swung open to reveal a hidden room.
The room was just as big as the library. It was one of the biggest rooms that I had ever seen. It had a chandelier on the ceiling and one window that let me look over the pond in the back yard. We lived in a nice neighborhood. A ‘city in gates.’ To me it felt like a prison, and yet it was so elegant.

I really did hope we could stay here. I’ve never lived in a house or a town this big or this beautiful. It was a good kind of change. I don’t know what the people are like here but if they are anything like the town, this situation I’m in cannot really be that bad.
This was my room, I so called it. I turn around ran out the door, ran out the library, down the two flights of stairs and out the front door. I grabbed a random box of mine and brought it back up to the room and placed it on the ground, to claim that it was mine. In no time, I had all of my stuff upstairs and my room looked amazing.
My bed was pushed up against the window in the back and I had my little night stand that my grandmother gave me right next to it. The rest of my furniture was placed throughout the rest of the room and all of my clothes and knickknacks were all set up and put away nicely. I put up four posters on the wall. Black Veil Brides, Sleeping With Sirens, Of Mice and Men, and the Maine.
I was dumbfounded on just how amazing my room was. I’ve spent about four hours on it and really needed some kind of break. Who can go wrong with looking around a brand new place? I would start school soon and I would need to know a couple of ways out and I know I saw a park on the way in but I wasn’t exactly sure where. I could go there sometimes to relax or even just take my sisters there when I’m not doing anything. It would benefit the whole family if I knew my
way around.

“Bye, Mom. I’m out of here.”

I tried to be civil with her. We were not very close and we were not very nice to each other. Well, she wasn’t nice to me, no matter how hard I tried to make things better. She was “done” with me. Before we move here, she gave us the “This is the start of something great speech.” I told her off. How many new great starts, as she calls it, are we going to have?
I like the house; I like the neighborhood, yes. That doesn’t change the fact that we have moved one hundred times in the past. It made me angry that she lied to our faces like this was an amazing thing and that we were just moving to move. She’s obviously been running from something, someone, but I have no idea who or what that is yet. “Where are you going? You need to help us all unpack.”

“I already unpacked my stuff so you guys can do the rest yourself. I think I am going to go take a look around the new neighborhood.” She shook her head and walked toward me. I took slow steps back, scared of what she was going to do.
“You are THE most ungrateful, little brat that I have ever met. I brought you to this beautiful home and you repay me with attitude and laziness. Get out of this house now and don’t come back until you’re ready to apologize to me.”

“But…”She smacked me. “Get out.”

I bolted to the end of the driveway and decided to go left, the way we came in. I ran down the sidewalk until I was far enough away from my mom. When I was far enough I stopped running and made a sigh of relief. I was very convinced that she just liked to start fights out of nowhere for no apparent reason at all because that is exactly what she did. It was a terrible thing to do, but I knew she had a lot of problems going on and that it would be best to not fight her and just to keep my distance.

I turned down streets and alleys and sidewalks, taking careful note of everything the whole time. After about ten minutes of walking, I found the park. It was a mile away from my house; it was an easy walk.

The park was colossal and it seemed like a really nice place. There were numerous places that children could play and climb on and run around and yet there were hardly any kids there; there were only a few kids swinging on the swings at the far end of park. It was nice and quiet and the perfect place to escape to. I scanned the area and saw that there was a lake on the other side of that lake, there was a hill. I walked to the bottom of it and it was towering above me like a giant sky-scraper. At the top of it was a tree. The tree was big and beautiful and it was obvious it had some years to it.

I scaled the hill and when I got to the top of it, I was dumbstruck. I could see the whole “city in gates” from here. It was amazing. I rested my back up against and slid down to the ground. I decided to let my mom cool down a little bit before I went home. I put my ear buds for my IPod into my ears and started blasting my favorite song by Asking Alexandra.
This could be good.

But then again, things can be like they always are for me and turn out to just suck. You never now though. I could get lucky.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is my first fan fiction. It is also up on fanfiction.net. I really hope you enjoy this :p Leave a COMMENT and SUBSCRIBE.
-megan :)