Status: In progress

My Only One

An hour? A whole hour?

~Megan~
“Am I right? I’m right.”

“No, Zachary. I don’t like anyone. Honest to God. I swear.”

He laughed and pushed me on the ground. “Yeah right.” I stood up and waved my fists in front of his face. “You want to fight Merrick? I’m about ready to fight.” He laughed at me again and then turned his attention to the TV.

“MEGAN LORAINE LIZAK!”
“JACK BASSAM BARAKAT!”

Jack ran through the front door of Rian’s house and jumped on top of me, making me fall to the floor again. “Damn you.” He smiled and kissed my forehead. “I missed you,” he says. I squinted my eyes at him and shook my head. “It’s been what,” he continues, “an hour? A whole hour? Alex and I have missed you.”

I directed my attention toward the door. “Where is Alex, anyway?” Jack shrugged. “In the car. Probably getting all the food that we bought or listening to music. He’ll be here.” He turned toward Rian. “Rian, when is your mom kicking us out?” Rian shrugged his shoulders. “I don’t know. She doesn’t really care. She’s never home.”

Four years ago, when I moved to this neighborhood as a freshman in high school, I thought I would be all alone. Alex came in and we became instant friends. On the first day he brought me to Rian’s house to meet everybody, there was no going back. We were all in love with each other right when I walked in the door. Rian and Kara were dancing to music blasting through the speakers and Zack was playing Twister. They all got up and said hi to me and we all became friends. They are amazing.

No I’m a senior in high school, with the best friends I could possibly ask for. I always spend the night a Rian’s house. His mom and dad are never home to care and my mom doesn’t give a shit what I do so I’m free to do whatever I want. I’m rarely home. I think I’ve spent the night at Rian’s house two weeks in a row already and my mom hasn’t called once. Shows how much my family cares.

“Hello all!” Alex walked in the door carrying like ten bags of food. “Fat ass,” I said to him. He looked at me. “Wha-what? These are all for you.” He opened the bag, took out a French fry and threw it at me. “Ass hole.” I threw it back. “I love you Megan.” I smiled at me. He was adorable. “I love you too.” He was, by far, my best friend. I loved the other guys but Alex was always there. Whenever I’m upset or hurt, he always ends up being there without me even calling him. I don’t know how he does it.

Last year my mom got so angry at me for something and started beating me and beating me. I was bloody and bruised and she said if I told anyone, she would kill me for sure. I was so scared. I ran, ran, ran all the way to the park and twenty minutes after I got there, Alex showed up. I was still bleeding and crying and he looked so scared. He drove me to the hospital to get fixed up. He held me in his arms all that night because I couldn’t seem to stop balling my eyes out. He was always there for me, it seemed.

He walked over to where I was sitting on the floor and sat down next to me. “Hey baby.” He kissed my forehead. He always does that. So does Jack. It is so cute. “Hi.” He smiled, got up and walked over to the TV. “Guys do you want to watch a movie?” Jack sprang up, ran over to where Alex was. Knocked him on the floor and started digging for a movie. “Found it! It’s okay guys. I found it.” He showed us the case for Home Alone. “Oh yay,” Zack said sarcastically. Jack looked hurt. “What is wrong with this movie?” Rian stood up and said, “Because we watch it three or four times a week. Getting a little old, Jacky.”

“I don’t care. We’re watching it.” He put it into the DVD player and turned the TV on. Groans escaped everyone’s mouths. I plopped on the couch and Alex came and sat right next to me. I yawned. “I’m tired Alex.” He rubbed the hair off my face with his hands. “Go to sleep baby. Go to sleep.” I rested my head on his shoulder. “Okay.” I dozed off about five minutes after that.
I woke up and I could tell before I opened my eyes that it was morning. My head was on Alex’s lap. I looked up and he was sleeping. I got up and looked around and saw no one. I walked around the whole house and no one was there. Where did they all go? I walked back into the living room and Alex was rubbing his eyes. “Where is everyone?” He said, yawning in between words. “Gone.”

We walked into the kitchen. “More breakfast for us,” Alex states. I laugh. “Where possibly could they have gone?” He asks me. “How should I know?” He shrugs. “What do you want? Eggs, pancakes?” I think. “Pancakes.” He nods. “Alright. So, Megan. How’s life?” I give him a thumbs up. “Swell.” He smiles. “That’s good. Life is always swell when Alex is around.” I know he was kidding but it was actually true.

Alex was a good guy even though sometimes he didn’t think he was. A lot of the problems that happen to him or his family always get blamed on him. I think he’s starting to believe it himself. I have sensed that he has been a little more quiet and sad then his usual self. I feel like I should know why but I just can’t place it.

“Ok? Megan?” While I was thinking Alex was talking to me and I completely tuned him out with my thoughts. “Sorry, what?” He shook his head and rolled his eyes. “Your pancakes are ready.” I ran and gave him a hug. “Thank you best friend.” He sighed. “Yeah.” I looked up at him. “What’s your deal?” He squished his eyebrows together. “What?” I stepped back. “You’ve been all weird lately. This past week. You aren’t yourself. Always moping or sighing or just sitting by yourself. It’s worrying me.”

He pulled me in for another hug. “I’m sorry.” I looked up at him again. “Why?” He stared deep into my eyes. “I don’t know. This just isn’t a good time for me.” With that he handed me my plate of pancakes and walked out of the room. “What the hell?” I sighed. “What’s his deal?”
“What’s who’s deal?”” Rian walked into the room. “Alex’s deal. He’s been all weird.” He sighed. Why is everyone doing this? “Tuesday,” He started, “Is Tom’s birthday.” Oh my God. “That’s in two days! I completely forgot. Ah.” I cannot believe I forgot something as important as that. I needed to be here for Alex, not being all pissy at him.

“Hey,” he said, “We all forget things one time or another, right? No one’s perfect.” I shook my head. “Well you don’t have to be perfect to remember something that important.” He shrugged and walked over to the fridge and pulled out a can of soda. He waved and walked out.
I felt so bad.
♠ ♠ ♠
Let me know what you think please :P
-Megan <3