Status: In progress

My Only One

I’ll ***ing kill you myself.

~Megan~
I walk to school as I usually do on any normal school day. I go to my locker and get my normal class books. Like I do every day, I wait at Alex’s locker for him to show up so we can walk to first period together. Something isn’t normal about this morning. I wait and I wait for him. The clock is ticking, getting closer to the beginning of school. Yet, I still wait. The bell rings to get to our first class. He has five minutes. I wait. The tardy bell rings. Now I’m late! I run to class.
Where is Alex? I text Jack.

Jacky, where is Alex today?

He’s not here?

Obviously or else I wouldn’t be asking.

Don’t get smart with me, Lizak. But sorry. I don’t know.

You suck Jack you…..

“Miss Lizak. Phone please.” I curse to myself. “Okay, Miss Barnes.”

Busted. Another Saturday detention.

“Miss Lizak.” I sigh and roll my eyes. “I’m coming.” I walk up to the teacher’s desk and hand her the phone. “Third detention from me this week, Miss Lizak. Step it up a little. Put the phone away and maybe be a little less chatty.” I roll my eyes yet again. “Okay.” I walk away. My friend Jasmine laughs at me. I flip her off. “Miss Lizak.” Just shut up already.
Lunch arrives. “Hey Jacky. You got me in trouble.” He snickered. “You texted me first remember?” I glare at him and he looks uncomfortable. “I’m sorry.” he wiggles his eyebrows. “Let’s have hot make-up sex.” I smile. “When and where? Ha.” He pats my head. “Here and now!” I shake my head.

“You wish.”

“Yeah, I do. I can’t get anyone else. Wha…what? Who am I kidding? I can get anyone I want.” I shook my head while laughing. He wished he could get anybody. I mean, he probably could. He was an attractive kid. He just got really nervous around people he really liked. It was cute. He needed to be himself.

“Rian! Kara!” Jack yelled from across the lunch room. “Where’s Alex?” Rian called back. “I didn’t see him in English today and now he’s not here.” I walked over to where he stood. “I waited at his locker this morning. He wasn’t in first period either. I don’t know where he’s at.” Rian nodded and walked with his lunch toward the lunch table.

“Guys,” Kara nodded toward Jack and Rian, “Did you guys send in a CD yet to the recording company?” Jack nodded. “Yes we did. Hopeless is ‘closely analyzing our music’ so that’s why they haven’t gotten back to us yet.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” I ask him and he shrugs. “Don’t know. Maybe they are considering us? Or they don’t want to just come out and say that we suck. Same difference right?” We laughed. Jack continued saying, “No they should actually be getting back to us within the next couple of days. Maybe next week.”

I was so excited for them. They have been waiting for this break for a long time. Back in the summer before freshman year, they were amazing. The record companies wanted them to sound a little older. We were all young back then. A lot has changed since then. I’m surprised I’m still here. What made my mom change her mind about moving again? Who knows?

“OK?” I looked up and Kara was looking at me. “What?”

“I said I have to go. My project for Geography is due tomorrow and I’m not even close to finishing it. See you later, Meg.” She hugged me than walked over to Rian. She pecked him on the lips but it turned to them literally making out right there in the lunch room. “Get a room!” Jack yelled to them. “Bye, guys.”
It was me, Jack and Rian. ‘

“So.” I said.

“Awkward,” Rian said after a couple minutes of silence. “The only awkward thing here right now is Jack. I’m just throwing that out there,” I say to him. “Hey!” Jack stands up. “Stop bullying me. I’m going to leave.” He grabs his books and pretends to walk away. “No, Jacky!” I get up and jump on his back. We both fall to the ground laughing. Rian throws a piece of lettuce at us. “Hey, did you know Alex broke up with Lisa yesterday?”

No. No way. “Did he?” I kept my cool. He nodded. “She told him she never loved him and that he was cheating on him the whole time. Alex was crying.” Jack stood up. “Why didn’t he tell me?” Rian went to throw his lunch a way and came back saying, “I don’t think he planned on telling anyone. I walked up while he was crying. It was an accident I think. He wanted to keep it a secret so don’t tell him.” Me and Jack agreed.
After lunch was over, the day went by so fast. I had all the rest of my classes with Alex which made them fast and boring as hell. He always made things fun for me in school. I was overreacting. People take off of school all the time. But I just thought Alex would have called me. I know him.

When the day was over, I decided to go to his house. Alex was my ride home so I didn’t know how to get home because it was pouring rain outside. I realized I would have to walk. I probably walked about two blocks and was soaking wet, when I heard a car horn. I ran to the car a jumped in. “Hey, Ri.” He shook his head at me. “Why didn’t you call me, dumbass? I would have driven you home. And now you are getting my seats all wet.”

I laughed loudly and he shook his head again. “You are so dirty,” he says. I laugh harder. “You’re the one who said it.” Before I knew it, we were parked outside my house. “Alex’s car isn’t here.” Rian shrugged. “Hey, chill out. He’s probably just out doing something. I don’t know. No need to freak. He’s fine.” And still, when Rian dropped me off and pulled away, I walked straight to Alex’s and knocked on the door. No one home. I called him. No answer.

I had a feeling I knew where he was at.

I decided to take my mom’s car and go look for him. I was stupid not to have done this before. I didn’t think he would be there though. It was pouring outside. I pulled up about twenty minutes later to the cemetery. And look, a car that looked like Alex’s car was parked right in front of me. I knew today was Tom’s birthday. I should have known he would be here. Common knowledge would have told anyone that. I walked around for ten minutes before I saw a boy with black skinny jeans on and a beanie on his head sitting in front of someone’s grave.
I slowly approached him, but when I heard a sob escape his mouth, I ran over to him and took him into my arms. He cried and cried and cried. I let him cry. He needed to get it all out. “It’s okay. It’s going to be okay.” That’s all I could think of. “I miss him,” he said to me, still crying. “I know you do. I know you do.” He sniffled. “How did you know I would be here?” I shrugged. “I know you more than I know myself.” He smiled but then looked back at the grave and started to cry again.

I looked down at him, but only then did I realize something was very wrong. I saw out of the corner of my eye, the blood coming out of the cuts on Alex’s wrists. I looked at him and then looked back at his wrists. “Alex, what did you do?” I practically yelled at him. “I’m sorry, I’m sorry. Please don’t tell anyone.” I shook my head. “Don’t ever, ever, ever do that again. I’ll fucking kill you myself. Jack said you had stopped this a while ago. Don’t fucking do it again.” He nodded.

“I’m sorry.” I stood up. “Fine.” He held on to my hand. “Please. Don’t leave me.” He looked so sad and I didn’t want him to sit down here all alone and cry by himself. Looking at him like this made me almost start crying. I couldn’t do that in front of him. I’ve never seen him like this before. I looked at his wrists again. They weren’t that bad. Still, I wanted to help.
“Let’s go get those cleaned up, baby.” He nodded and I drove him back in my car. We’d pick his car up later. Alex said something but I didn’t hear him. “What?” I started the engine and started to drive. “Thanks,” he mumbled. “Hey,” I said, “you’re my best friend. I wasn’t just going to leave you here by yourself all day. Obviously this is what happens.”

We drove home and the first thing I did was clean and bandage Alex’s arms. We sat and talked for a while until my mom called me and told me to come home and eat dinner. “Thanks for everything. I really appreciate it. You are the best friend anyone could possibly have and I love you for that.” He hugged me and I felt like crying. That would be selfish though. I smiled and walked out the door.