Status: This is my first attempted werewolf story that I have put out on the web so please be patient with me. :)

Five Lies

Not Alone

Chapter 8

Not Alone

I burst into the house ready to chew the next person I laid eyes on. However the house was barren except for the glow of a light radiating out from under my closed bedroom door. I could have sworn I turned off my light that morning before I left.

I squatted down and unsheathed the dagger I had hidden in the side of my knee high converse, readying myself for whatever might be residing in my room with all other life forms non present in the Vein’s household. I was glad I wasn’t a Vein, but an Avery instead since my Aunt and Uncle were related to me on my mom’s side.

I closed in on the entryway to my room and stopped just outside and strained my ears to listen because it sounded like my itunes playlist was playing from inside. I creaked to door open and peered in to see a section of my room through the crack I had created only to see a figure about the same size as I but taller dart across from one side to the other. I jumped and leaned against the wall next to my door, closing my eyes shut and counting to ten before I burst in and kicked into hunter mode.

“1, 2, 3, 10!” I shouted the last number and kicked my door open with my dagger ready to slice and dice whatever creature had trespassed on my endeavors. But I paused and became frozen in my tracks when I finally met the face of my intruder. It was a girl who looked to be around the same age as me, only taller with long mid back slightly wavy hot pink hair and jet black lowlights with emo cut side swept bangs. But the one thing I could never have forgotten was her milk chocolate brown eyes that I could have recognized anywhere, despite how long it had been.

“Xhi-Xhila?” I stammered, tears welling up in eyes, undoubtedly bringing out the green in their hazel nature. I took in her shocked expression and I let my dagger hit the carpet. She shook her head repeatedly with wide eyes as her face twisted in emotion and crystal tears were soon welling up in her eyes. I couldn’t believe it, I could hardly breathe.

I closed the distance between us and wrapped my arms around her neck and she slid hers around my torso and we sank to floor while we let our emotions overtake us. We sat in the middle of the floor in my room for a good twenty minutes before we could pull ourselves together enough to speak. We clung to each other, tear stained face, sniffling snot buckets and all until I loosened my grip on her leaned back to look at her again.

“I…I-I can’t believe you’re here. You’re even prettier in person.” I stuttered through sniffles. She let out a small hardy laugh and sniffled herself, clearing her throat before speaking.
“I was going to say the same thing…” she paused for a moment and let out a few light chuckles before she finished her statement, “a-about you.” We both let out a few laughs and I found that I was dying to know how and why she was here.

You see, Xhila Avery is my little sister by a year and a half. After what had happened to my parents, we had been separated. My Aunt Josephine and Uncle Adam had taken me in, but were unable to get custody of Xhila for some unexplained legal reason. I had kept in contact via mail and internet over the last six years and I had seen pictures of her all the time, but seeing her in person, she had grown up to be a true rock and roll goddess. She had recently graduated from high school and I was so bummed that I couldn’t make it to her graduation party since she was still living back in Georgia. It just made me yearn to find out the exact diagnosis as to why she was here at all. She was promised me she would go to college.

“Xhi, how are you… why are you here? I thought you were going to college” I asked cocking an eyebrow at her. She laughed.

“I was going to surprise you but you weren’t here, actually no one was here. So I let myself in and found your room. At first I thought it might’ve been the one down the hall, but it was a little too girly to be yours. And then I found this one and looked up your music just to make sure it was the right one. But the reason I’m here is because I am going to college. I attend UCLA as of about a month ago.” She explained and my mouth dropped.

“You…you’re shitting me? Why the hell haven’t you come to visit me yet?!” I exclaimed, on the verge of actually being upset for multiple reasons. She had told me she was going Georgia Tech. Was everybody in life a liar now? Not to mention, my long lost little sister was a student at UCLA without my knowledge while I stuck at a Westwood, a damn community college. Plus, she had been in town for the last month and we had talked online in that amount of time and she never mentioned anything about it. Forgive me for not being all gumdrops and rainbows, reunited-and-it-feels-so-good sing songy happy.

“Well, I was still adjusting the city and the campus and I met this guy…” She said, shifting eyes over to the side.

“What?! A guy? Who?” I asked, trying not to be offended that my sister whom I hadn’t seen in six years put off seeing me for a guys she just met a month ago. That must be some guy.

“Oh no one…” she relied and avoided my gaze.

“No, come on! I might know him. And you owe me an explanation for not coming to see for a month after you got here.” I demanded, letting my hurt feelings show.

“Phoenix, I’m so sorry. I feel like a terrible sister, but I don’t think you would understand even if I told you the kind of craziness I’ve been through in the last month. I wish I could explain it but I just can’t and you’re going to have to trust me on this okay?” she told me, which was surprising as hell. Little did she know I was a lot more familiar with “craziness” than she thought I was. “And… the guy’s name is Derek.” she finished.

I thought long and hard for minute, trying to remember how I knew that name. I felt like I had come across a Derek within the last 24 hours. Hmm…Derek…Derek…Derek… my mind was drawing a blank for some reason. I was on the verge of remembering who it was and somehow I knew it was a big deal. I just didn’t recognize how yet.

“Though, he’s just a friend. I met him through his sister who is my roommate. Surprisingly we have a lot more in common than you can believe. But I’ve been kind of hoping it would turn into something more… I think you would approve. He’s in a band you know. He’s got a stage name and everything!” Xhila added. In a band?

“Oh really? What band?” I asked. This guy was beginning to intrigue me more and more as she continued.

“Yeah, actually I would be surprised if you hadn’t heard of them. I think I remember you telling me you listen to them a few times. They’re kind of big, especially around here. He’s in a band called Family Force 5 and is otherwise known as Chapstique!” She exclaimed with excitement. NO! Was this for real right now?
My jaw dropped as realization hit me. Now I remembered exactly where I had heard the name Derek from.

Derek Mount is a dead man.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey folks, I know it has definitely been a while for this one. Hope all is to your liking. :) Comment, subscribe, recommend, tell your friends! Enjoy!