Sequel: Realtivity.
Status: More Done than I am with Joshua Franceschi.

The Flood

They Don't Call It the South For Nothing. (Part 2)

I jumped on his back. “See, I’m not too heavy.”

“Whatever you say, fat-ass. I know what’s in the mini-fridge in your room.” We started making our way to the food carts.

“Hey! That’s mine! Why were you looking in it?”

“I was looking for water. I was thirsty and you were asleep.”

“Freak.”

“Whatever, we’re almost to the food. Oh, there’s some people I don’t know over here… and Kellin, Tino, and Phil!” I hopped off Alan’s back, fixed my dress, and walked up behind Kellin and Phil, wrapping my arms around them.

“What’s up, guys!”

They jumped at the sudden sound of my voice. I got a good look at the other five people with them. There were two gingers, one that was skinner (deemed Ginger 1 until I know his name), and the other had a leather jacket on (Ginger 2.) One taller dude had huge plugs and brown hair. The next had hardcore skunk hair, and the other was a blonde underneath the beanie he wore.

“Nyx! Happy Birthday!” Tino said as he hugged me “And damn, woman, can you hold your alcohol or what?”

“Thank you Tino! And damn straight I can hold my liquor. Daddy was in the Navy. It’s in my blood. Anywho, where’s Alan?”

“Right here. I was creeping on you creep on them.” He laughed at me.

“You’re weird. Just sayin’. Now, be a good person and introduce me to the gingers, and the other dudes.”

“Glad to know she appreciates the ginger race.” Ginger 2 said to Ginger 1.

“It’s nice to have someone realize the beauty of gingers.”

“Well, Alan is my best friend and he’s a ginger. Of course I know of the greatness that is gingers.” I said to Ginger 2.

“Anyways, before this conversation that I hear every day happens, please introduce them to her, Alan.” Said Plug Dude.

“Well Nyx, the guy with no patience at all is Michael Bohn. The ginger beside him is Ben Ferris, and they are from Issues. The other ginger is Danny Worsnop from Asking Alexandria. Skunk hair over there is Jack Barakat, and the guy beside him is Alex Gaskarth from All Time Low. Guys, this is the Nyx. Badass, befriender of gingers, and one hell of a drinker. Oh and her sister, Anna.”

“’Sup guys.” I said. Anna waved at them. “Well, I would attempt to be polite and pretend to care if you’ve eaten any food, but I don’t because if you haven’t that means more for my fat-ass.” I started looking over the food carts, and I piled my plate full of chocolate covered strawberries, kiwis, mangos, all kinds of badass chocolate covered foods, and not just milk chocolate. There was white chocolate and dark chocolate for the cashews.

“I like her.” Michael said.

“I told you she was awesome.” Tino shrugged.

“You didn’t say she was this awesome. I don’t think I’ve ever met a girl that was that blunt to anyone before.” Alex threw in.

“She’s a special one.” Anna said.

“Weren’t you the one who told us that we could either help or get the fuck out of your way, or you’d murder us and string us on poles?” Jack asked Anna.

“Yeah, that was probably her. She gets like that when planning something. It’s easier to do what she says.” I shrugged and put more chocolate covered fruit in my mouth.

“Sorry about that.” She smiled at him.

“It’s cool.” He looked a little freaked out, but Anna can do that to people sometimes.

“So, now that I have food in me, I’m a little bit nicer.” I said. Alan snorted at this. I chose to ignore it. “Have any of you ate yet? ‘Cause this food is fantastic.”

“No, but I’m gonna take one of your strawberries.” Austin said from behind me.

“I wouldn’t do that if I were you, dude. She will hurt you over her food.” Alan said.

“Do it. I bet you she won’t.” Tino, Phil and Kellin said all around the same time. Austin’s hand was still in mid-reach for my food. I was debating biting him or stabbing him with the tooth pick if he took one. His hand was still there. He had three seconds to move it or I was biting him.

"Three."

"What's she talking about?' Austin asked.

"Two."

"Seriously what's going on?" Austin asked as I saw Tino and Anna whispering.

"One." I bit his hand.

“Told you so, idiot.” Alan shrugged.

“Tino, five bucks told you she would bite him.” Anna said.

“This really hurts. Will you please let go of me, woman?!” Austin yelped at me.

“You have to promise her you won’t take her food or she’ll bite you harder. I learned that a long time ago.” Anna laughed at him.

“I won’t take your food, geez! Let me go.”

“You have to mean it.” Alan put in.

“Venus Nyx, I promise I won’t take your food, if you please stop biting my hand.” Austin said. I let him go, laughing at him, and then I continued to eat.

“She. Is. Awesome.” Jack said. Murmurs of agreement went around.

I shrugged. “I know.” I noticed Kellin had wandered off.

Everyone laughed. “So, your escort awaits at the stage for the beginning of your ridiculously brilliant and super wicked surprise from Alan” Austin said. I looked at Alan.

“You’ve been talking to Teddy, haven’t you?”

“Maybe.” He laughed at me as I took his and Austin’s arms and they took me to the stage. “First, there are two bands playing tonight.” He said after someone tossed him a microphone to talk into. “The first band is, Pierce The Veil.”

“Ginger says what?” I looked at him, and he took the microphone away from his mouth.

“Yup.” He laughed at me. “So give it up for Victor Fuentes singing and playing guitar.” As he said this, Victor came up on stage with an acoustic guitar. He walked over to me, giving me a hug. “Tony Perry on guitar.” Tony approached and did the same. “Jaime Preciado on guitar, and Mike Fuentes on drums.” Jaime and Mike, though the latter had two hand drums in a case, repeated Vic’s actions. “Take it away, boys.” Alan finished and gave Vic the microphone, Jaime, Tony, and Mike had theirs already set up. As they started playing, Anna, Alan, myself, and Austin were all sitting on stools beside the stage.

“Hey Nyx, want a drink?” Austin whispered to me.

“No, but bring me some food. Chocolate covered food.” I smiled at him.

“Alright. I’ll be back.”

When he left, I looked over at Anna and Alan. They both had their hands hanging in the air, waiting for the other one to grab it. I pulled Alan close to me. “Do it. She’s waiting on you. You can’t wait on her to do it.” I whispered.

“You sure?” He asked, looking worried.

“Do it!” I hissed back.

He looked away from me, staring forward as he waited for a minute or two. Finally, he wrapped Anna’s hand in his. Anna looked at their hands. Then she looked at him, then back at their hands, blushed, then looked forward again. Alan just kept looking forward, trying not to smile like a big doof. Most people would be grossed out over the thought of their best friend and sister being practically in love with each other . Not me. I’ve been trying to get this to happen for years. I basically have to stop myself from squealing over the cuteness.

“Why does Alan look happier than he normally does?” Austin asked as he handed me my plate full of food.

“Look at his hand.” I said.

“Finally!” He said.

“That’s what I’m saying! Oh and thank you for the food.”

“No problem.” He smiled at me. We went back to watching the guys perform, and I took a moment to look over each of their faces. Vic looked so passionate when he sang; it was pretty rad. From the few-second encounter I’ve had with Jamie while working through the crowd, he seemed like he was a very hyper person, but now that excitement seemed contained; he appeared chill and relaxed. Mike just looked like he was having the best time in his life. Then there was Tony. It was weird watching him play; he looked completely at ease, but the thing is, I don’t really think I’ve seen any picture of him without Steph, his girlfriend who I know personally, where he was showing a lot of emotions. Whatever. I continued eating my chocolate covered food as the songs went on. I felt someone rest their chin on top of my head. I looked up to find Aunt Eliza. I smiled up at her. She returned it.

“I dare say, you have a nice choice in music.” She told me.

“For once I’m not to thank for the music arrangments. That was all Alan. Who finally held Anna's hand!” I whispered to her.

“Finally. That took you, what? Four years to do?”

“I know!” I hit Austin.

“Ow! What was that for?” He asked.

“Austin, this is Aunt Eliza.” I pointed to her. “Aunt Eliza this is Austin.”

“Hey Aunt Eliza,” Austin said. She looked him up and down. “I like him” She whispered in my ear before she walked off.

“I felt like I was getting x-rayed.”

“She gives you that feeling, too?” I asked.

“Yup.”

“Well, she likes you, if that makes you feel any better.” I shrugged.

“A little.”

We went back to watching the music. More and more people kept stopping by me, telling me happy birthday and introducing their selves. So far I had met all of Asking Alexandria, All Time Low (and the girlfriends of those that had them,) Kellin’s fiancée, who had their baby Copeland, who was just the most adorable little baby ever. They had stopped by before they left, and I met the rest of the guys from Sleeping with Sirens.

“Alright, thanks for listening to us play, and happy birthday Nyx!” Vic said from his place. People rushed onto the stage so the guys could get up and not have to deal with the instruments. They all stopped by me.

“Thank you guys for doing that!” I said.

“It’s no problem. Alan said it was part of a surprise for his best friend. We agreed because you deserve it for dealing with him for your whole life.” Jaime laughed.

“Tony, where’s Stephanie?” Vic asked.

“Um, I honestly don’t know.”

“I’m pretty sure I’m right behind Nyx.” Steph said and she hugged me from behind.

I stood up and hugged her properly. “I’ve missed you!”

“I missed you, too! I’ve had to go shopping all alone now.”

“Wait! You two know each other?” Austin asked. Tony just looked confused.

Steph walked up to Tony and kissed his cheek. “Tony, my parents live a block away from here. You should recognize it.”

“Oh! Maybe that’s why it looked so familiar getting here.” He said. .

“Well I’m kinda sober right now,” Mike said. “Nyx! Austin! Alan! Murderous girl from earlier! I know that you four partake in activities more suited to us than alcohol.”

We laughed at his name for Anna, I kissed Steph on the cheek with the promise to call then her Tony, and Vic disappeared into the crowd. Jaime was stuck with us. “Alright, so I’m thinking the best place to do this is my room so Aunt Eliza doesn’t kill me for doing this in public.” I said.

“If you think Anna was bad earlier, you should see their Aunt when pissed off. It’s like ten times worse.” Alan pointed out as we headed toward the door. Austin, Mike, Jaime and I all collectively shuddered thinking about that. We walked in silence the rest of the way to my room. “Halt!” I said once we reached my door.

“What?” Austin asked.

“I need to do something in here with Anna’s help. Stay!” I grabbed Anna’s hand and dragged her into my room. I pulled my wand out of my bra. “You have yours?”

“Yup." She pulled it out. “So what are we doing?”

“Windows.” She nodded. Windows appeared behind my bed, looking out over the party. After that was done, the magical pictures stopped moving and we put our wands up. I opened the door. “Okay, you may enter.”

The guys walked in. Jaime and Mike were staring in awe at my room. Austin and Alan sat down on the bed, Alan in between Anna and I, Austin on my other side.

“Your favorite colors aren’t yellow and navy blue/teal, are they?” Jaime asked.

“What gave you that clue?” I giggled “The outfit or the room?”

“Just a hunch.” He shrugged.

“Take a seat on the bed. We don’t bite or anything.”

“I totally call bullshit on that. I still have the mark where you bit me earlier!” Austin shouted.

“You bit him?” Mike and Jaime asked.

“Dude, you were trying to take her food. Her choices were either bite you or stab you. Consider yourself lucky.” Alan shrugged.

“She would have stabbed Alan a lot in a quicker amount of time that it took her to bite you.” Anna pointed out.

“But...”

“And considering that you were trying to take her chocolate covered food and she didn’t bite you sooner surprised me. She actually gave you a chance to move your hand while we were telling you not to do it.”

“Oi! She is right here, and she is offended by this conversation.” I whined. Mike and Jaime were still standing up, and Alan, Austin and Anna were laughing at me.

“So is it safe to sit on the bed?” Mike asked.

“Yeah.” I snorted, “So Mike, why don’t you pull that out and light it up?” Mike obliged to my question.

“Oh thank god! I am way too sober!” Alan shouted. I laughed at him.

“Strange, strange child.” Austin just shook his head.

We started the normal smoking activities; talking about random shit (i.e. why I kept so many pictures), taking more pictures for my walls (there was a really good one in which Jaime was making the most ridiculous faces), goofing off (having a dance competition in the middle of my room, which Austin won for some odd reason), making fun of Alan (he’s a ginger, that’s all the reason we needed.) They made fun of me (teasing me about my shortness), laughing (we had gotten Anna to snort. I felt accomplished.) Which brought us to now. We were making fun of Jaime for not sitting still, like ever. He reminded me of a movie character.

“Oi! HI-Me!” I got his attention.

“Huh?”

“Your new name is Hammy.”

“Like from Over the Hedge?” Alan asked.

“Well duh. I mean he’s never sitting still/ I’m pretty sure that in a past life he was a hyperactive squirrel. I would hate to see what would happen if he consumed an energy drink.”

“You don’t want to. It’s horrid.” Mike said, and then shuddered.

“Do I have any say in this nickname?” He sighed.

“Nope.” Alan, Anna, and I said.

“Fine.” He pouted.

“But anyway we need to get back downstairs for the rest of her surprise.” Austin said.

“He’s right, so everyone up and start moving.” Anna huffed.

Mike and “Hammy” got up first. Anna helped Alan up, and as Austin got up he grabbed my hand and pulled me up to my feet.

“Why thank you for that.” I said. He smiled at me, then I realized he still had yet to let go of my hands. He noticed at the same time and dropped them. I didn’t comment on the blush on his cheeks, and I hoped Alan hadn’t seen that. I looked over to him. Anna and Alan had the same blush on their cheeks, so I’ll take that as they didn’t notice. We went back downstairs and outside

“Hey Nyx! What was with Austin blushing as we left the room?” Alan whispered.

“Why were you blushing is what I want to know.”

“Touché, but know I will find out what happened.”

“So why was Alan blushing?” Jaime asked from beside me.

“I don’t know. It had something to do with my sister, I can tell you. She’s the only person I’ve ever seen that can make him blush.” I laughed. I turned to ask Austin something, but he wasn’t there. Neither was Alan. Huh. Weird.

My sister then came on the stage. “Oi! Party go-ers! For the first part of Alan’s birthday surprise for Nyx. is a once in a life time performance. So to the stage I welcome Alan Anthony Ashby!” He ran on stage with four stools, and then dragged me to the one that was directly center stage. He hugged me and told me to sit. “Austin Robert Carlile,” He came onstage and sat on my right with the empty chair beside him. “Last but not least, Shayley Dayshell Bourget!” Wait! Sister said what? Holy mother of god. Shayley Bourget was coming out and sitting down beside Austin. Holy shit! Shay smiled at me! Soon they all were handed guitars, and Shay took a microphone from my sister.

“Well, this is gonna be fun.” They started playing, and then I realized it was my favorite song that they were playing. When You Can’t Sleep at Night. Just asdfjkl!!! Yes, I am aware that asdfjkl is not a word, but alas you see this face. It does not give a fuck. I sat and watched them play. Watching Alan play like this was different than Warped, in a way I can’t describe. It was a surreal feeling; sitting in between my best friend, a guy I may or may not be developing feelings for, and Shay, who has the voice of JESUS! After that song was finished, along with The Ballad of Tommy Clayton & The Rawdawg Millionaire, and Second & Sebring, they started to play My Understandings. And then, just like that, it was over.

“Happy Birthday Nyx. I hope that qualifies as a good present.” Shay said.

“Yeah it did, thanks! Seriously thanks, that was amazing.” He gave me a hug.

“No problem. Hey I’m gonna go eat. I’ll catch up later.” He said before he walked off.

Alan grabbed me and picked me up, taking me off the stage. He sat in a chair with me on his lap.

“Is all of this really necessary?” I asked.

“Yup.”

I sighed. “Okay, so gonna tell me what’s happening now?”

“Part two. Now pay attention.”

The screen behind the stage was dark, but slowly began to come to life. Appearing across it was a picture of Anna, Aunt Eliza, Mom, Dad, Aunt Ang (who was hugely pregnant with Alan’s brother), Uncle Bobby and Alan on the way to the hospital. Next appeared a picture of all of them around mom who was holding a very baby me. Then, the first picture of Alan and I ever taken. We were in a crib together, and we looked like we were fighting. More pictures flashed upon the screen, some of of Alan, Anna, Steph, and I. We were like an evil-five when we were little. Next were pictures of Alan and I at Salem for the first time with a weird look on our faces (Hey! We were in the middle of a field; there aren’t many of those around SD. Just sayin’)

The pictures continued; some of Alan and I, Alan and I first day of fourth year, and Anna in the background shaking her head at us with her prefect badge on. Then there was a picture of Alan passed out drunk before it skipped to a picture that was on my wall. It was right after I had gotten out of the hospital, and I was in Alan’s dorm laying in his lap playing with his cat, Hades, and he was playing with my hair and we were having a long conversation. Anna had snuck in his room and took the picture. More pictures of Anna, Steph and I. I was crying by this point and using Alan as a personal tissue, but he didn’t mind. Then there was one of the few pictures of Mom, Dad, Aunt Eliza, Aunt Ang, Uncle Bobby, Anna, Alan, Ryan (Alan’s brother) and I. Then there was the picture of Anna, Alan and I at the airport, hugging and crying. Hogwarts pictures then came, filling the screen with Vic and I, Teddy and I, me with the Wotters. Then it was a video of me singing at the talent show in 6th year. You would have been able to hear a pin drop. I should really start telling people I sing so I don’t get this reaction every time someone hears me sing for the first time. The next picture was of Vic and I wearing our Head Girl badges and Teddy in the background rolling on the floor. First day of 7th year, me sneaking out to go see Alan, by this I meant it was a picture of me crawling on the back of James’ broom so he could take me to an apparition point. Then it was the picture of George and I doing shots at the graduation party. Vic and Teddy on the airplane (Teddy was terrified.) The picture of me tackling Anna in the airport. Then started the Warped Tour pictures; pictures I took on the way there, the picture we took with me on Alan and Teddy’s shoulders, pictures with Tino and Phil in them, then every single picture Alan and I took at Warped. Then, as the screen went blank, I stood up and pulled Alan up with me.

“You know what to do, right?” Everyone was staring at us.

“Bring it.”

“What are they doing?” Tony asked from the crowd.

“Just shut up and watch.” Steph said. After that I took a run at Alan and jumped on him in one of our ‘rape hugs.’

“You are the bestest friend ever.” I kissed his cheek as he sat me down.

--

It was well after the party. I had changed out of the dress and was in my bathing suit and some shorts with my head laying on Austin’s stomach and my feet on Alan’s legs. “So you guys, that was a badass party. Thank you for what you did.”

“I’m exhausted now because your sister is bat-shit crazy.” Austin sighed.

“Not my fault she’s Hitler reincarnated when she’s planning something.”

“I’m tired now.” Austin repeated.

“Then go to sleep.”

“I’ll head up with you guys.”

“Alright, let’s on up to bed.” Alan lifted my feet off of him and helped me up. I looped my arms through theirs and we headed up the stairs. We dropped Austin off at James and Fred’s room. (“Do I really have to sleep here?!”) and then carried on to my room. Alan ran to the bathroom to get his PJ’s on and I went to fix my bed. I eventually said fuck it and just laid down on the covers without moving them. When Alan came out he said, “Either you go in there and change yourself or I’ll do it for you.”

“Fine, bossy.” I went in the bathroom and threw on Alan’s old hockey jersey from when he was 13, a new pair of short. I brushed my teeth and brushed my hair out. When I stepped back into my room, Alan was fixing the bed for us. Before you go all prude and stuff about Alan and I sharing a bed, we’ve been doing this for years. It’s just what we do. I got in bed and laid my head on Alan’s chest.

“So, Nyx. There is one more part to your surprise.”

“What’s that, Loki?”

“Well, what would you say if Austin, Tino, Phil and myself all just kinda hung around here and with you when you go back to England until October.”

“You’ve got to be shitting me, right?!”

“Nope. You have all of us for a month and a half. We have all that time to cause mayhem and general debauchery.”

“You are the greatest!” I looked up at him. He started playing with my hair.

“So how long is your tour?”

“I’m not sure, it starts in October, but I know it’ll be a long-ish one.”

“Well, at least we have until then to hang out.” I said.

“That is correct.” He kept playing with my hair, and I soon fell asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
I own nothing.

Title/Summary - They Don't Call It The South For Nothing - Of Mice & Men

p.s. The last two had to be split up because they were too big to put in one chapter.