Status: hope you enjoyed it. Remember that I did add a more descriptive tone to it, but this is my grandmother's story to a T. Didn't come up with this, I believe my grandmother or her mother did. One of the two.

The Great White Ape

The Great White Ape

Not so long ago there was a man named Alex, who worked as a lawyer for a small backwoods town. He had to travel often, as work would require him visit many people in the cities around him.
It was on one of these trips that his car happened to break down on a seemingly deserted road. It was around midnight when this occurred, and the rain outside was falling harder than he had ever experienced it fall. With a sigh he jumped out to see what the problem was, using his brief case as an umbrella.
Upon inspection, he could see nothing wrong with the car, and looked down both sides of the dirt road to look for assistance. There were no cars, street lights, or signs that he could see in the distance. The only visible thing was an old house that was only a hundred meters away, straight ahead of his car.
He tried the car a few more times, and when that failed he waited for any passers by that could help him. None ever came, and the old house in the distance became his only option. So with a brief case over his head he ran to the old house, and questioned whether it was abandoned or condemned.
Stepping onto the porch he noticed the rotting wood, and how the building looked decaying in every aspect. He knocked three times, and waited. Right when he was considering his return to the car, the door slowly crept open.
There stood a short, old man that looked to be near seventy.
Alex explained his situation and apologized for waking him at such a late hour.

"Well,", he croaked out," I don't have any phone here. Your welcome to stay in the guest room until the morning comes, I'm sure the storm will have passed by then."

Alex tried to refuse, but the man was very convincing. He opened the door wider and lead him into his home.

"The guest room is up the stairs there, the kitchen is there, and the bathroom is there," he pointed to each hallway,"you can go anywhere in the house, but don't open that door."

With the last he pointed at a steel door at the end of the hall. Alex's jaw dropped at the sight of this titanium door, shiny new and with a lever that had "open" printed on it. The rest of the house was mess, a hazard to any who dared walked in it, so this door was entirely out of place.

"Wha... uh.. whats in there?", he tried to ask politely.

"Just don't concern yourself with it. Your rooms up there."

Alex nodded, glared at the door one last time, and went for the stairs. Walking up them he felt they would give way at any moment, but they held firm under his weight. He turned to his designated room and laid on the bed given to him.
As exhausted as he was, he couldn't get any rest. His curiosity was running ramped with what could be behind that door. Was it money? What if it was gold or diamonds?! Could this man be D.B. Cooper? What could an old man like that have to hide in a place like this?
He laid for three hours, but couldn't let the thought die. Finally he decided to sneak a peek inside that wonderful steal door. He slowly got out of bed, and tip toed down the hall. At the man's door he saw him fast asleep, snoring away in dreamland. Alex crept down the stairs, which creaked louder and louder with each step, and went to the steal door.

He stopped and examined its brilliance, it looked as if it belonged in a bank, not some old man's home. He grabbed the lever with both hands and pulled. The door swung open, and inside was a long dark tunnel. Alex took one last look over his shoulder before traveling inside.
The tunnel seemed to go forever, and was lite by small light bulbs in the walls. Could it be a wine cellar? What if it was a tomb!?
Finally, at the turn of a corner he saw a room. This room was massive, and in the back was a huge curtain. This curtain had to he a hundred feet tall, dark red and glamorous. Alex walked up in amazement, and crawled under the curtain.
Immediately he jumped in fright, as inside was an eighty-foot tall ape. It stood completely still, and had pure white fur. Alex watched it for a moment, and debunked it as being stuffed. It was the biggest statue he had ever seen, and had amazing detail to it.
He walked up and examined it, marveling at how unique it was. He rose his hand, and slowly felt the fur. What happened next would haunt him for the rest of his life.
The ape roared, a roar that shook the very foundations of the world. Alex looked up to see the ape staring dead at him, chest pushing in and out as it took each deep breath. Alex ran back under the curtain and head for the hall as fast as he could. Why was it standing still before? How could a giant ape exist!?

As he ran he heard the monster tear the curtain and run after him. This only made Alex quicken his steps, if that was even possible at this point. All the way up the hall he heard the savage sounds the ape made, hungry for his flesh. Alex ran through the steal door, and slammed it shut behind him.
He leaned against it for a moment to catch his breath, and walk to the front door. Behind him he hear a tearing sound, and turned to see the steal door bent and broken in the ape's hand. It looked into his eyes and roared even louder than before.
Alex bolted for the door, and ran into the rain. In the distance he dimly saw his car, and realized it was his only hope. It HAD to start, or he was dead. Behind him the monster tore through the front of the house, causing half of it to collapse and break.
Alex ran and ran, and only twenty feet away from freedom he tripped, hitting the ground so hard it knocked the breath out of him. He gasped for air for a few moments, and then heard a grunt from behind him.
He rolled over, heart threatening to explode out of his chest. The rain poured even harder than before, but he was shielded by the great white ape standing over him.
With malice in its eyes it looked down on his prey, breathing heavily and seemingly smiling. With one hand it reached slowly for him, and Alex closed his eyes awaiting death. He felt a poke on his side, and heard a faint giggle above him. Confused, he peeked an eye open and looked to the ape above him. It covered its mouth and giggled again.

"Tag! Your it!" It laughed, and turned to run back behind the curtain, its usual hiding place.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you enjoyed it, always made me laugh when I heard it. I remember my grandmother acting it out the whole way through, running around the house roaring XD.