Status: Finished.

New Year's Eve Holiday

New Year's Eve Holiday

Disclaimer: I only own Daisy.

On the eve of the last day of winter, the sun had nearly fallen all the way behind the horizon and the moon was starting to make its way up into the sky from another horizon. Many of the folks who lived in Forget-Me-Not Valley were beginning to head to the beach in order to celebrate the end of the year by gorging themselves with festive Buckwheat Noodles. The couple who were most eager to go, however, were none other than Celia and Marlin.

A long while after Marlin told Celia to stay in the valley forever so that he could take care of her, Marlin finally proposed to Celia with a heavy amount of coaxing from his older sister, Vesta. Even during the wedding, Marlin seemed to be getting cold feet and, once more, needed coaxing from Vesta to convince him to continue on with his marriage to Celia.

Nearly three years of marriage have granted the couple a start for a new family when Celia fell pregnant with child. To say Marlin was nervous beyond belief was an understatement; Celia was lucky that Vesta allowed her to continue working into the first trimester of her pregnancy. It was afterwards that Marlin became concerned and forced her to stay at home and rest, which did not suit Celia, although she did as Marlin wanted her to do either way. The rest of Celia's pregnancy seemed to go by slowly, at least to Celia, as she found herself getting bored of doing housework all day and resorted to making Marlin fetch her books on parenting from the library or, if she could, she would get the books herself.

The challenge presented to the couple before Celia was due was the fact that Celia and Marlin still lived in Vesta's home. Vesta didn't mind the two staying around, although Marlin figured it about time to move out with his growing family, and he bought the house that was for sale near Takakura's former home; the old man had passed on early due to heart complications, though how the heart complications were caused was unknown. Shortly after the couple finished moving into their new home, thankfully near Vesta's house as well, Celia had went into labor and Marlin was in a scramble to call Doctor Hardy so he would deliver the baby. In a matter of a few minutes, the doctor and his assistant, the elderly Nina, attended to Celia, leaving Marlin to pace manically in the kitchen like a madman. He had to admit- if it weren't for Vesta, he would have gone mad. After a day and a few hours, the new addition, named Daisy, was born, and the family remained happy ever since.

By now, Celia had finished preparing herself to attend the New Years Eve get together and was finishing the preparation of her six-month-old daughter for the final hits of winter. Daisy had on a full pink snowsuit with little black snow boots. All Celia had to do was put Daisy in her infant carrier and tuck in her blanket...

The sound of heavy snow boots hitting the hardwood floor of the home broke the silence that had fallen while preparing for the once-a-year event. "Hey, Celia, don't ya think she'll be a bit warm in that?" Marlin's coarse voice broke in, "It's not that cold out."

"I know, Marlin, but I read in those parenting books that babies are more sensitive to temperature, so I'm only being careful," Celia's soft voice replied as she pulled on her black boots and then her olive green winter coat.

Marlin nodded, hand rubbing the back of his head sheepishly as he said, "Uh, yeah... You'd know better than I would." A pause, and then, "You ready to go?"

Celia nodded, getting up from where she was sitting on the bed and went to grab the handle of the infant carrier, but Marlin beat her to it. "Marlin! It's not that heavy, I can carry it!" She insisted, hands on her hips and a cute pout on her face.

Marlin frowned, but handed her the carrier anyways. "If you say so..." He couldn't resist the pout of his wife, he was never able to ever since he met the woman. It became worse once he married her, but he didn't care, because he loved Celia and that was the only thing that mattered.

"We're meeting Vesta at the beach, right, Marlin?" Celia asked as she exited the house first, leaving Marlin to exit last and lock the house up.

"Yeah, she didn't want to keep us waiting," Marlin replied as the two headed in the direction of the beach. "Isn't she also bringing some Buckwheat Noodles for the festival?"

Celia nodded as they passed the pathway that led to Vesta's house. "Yeah. I helped make them with her and she said she would." She smiled. "We haven't tried them yet, so hopefully they came out well!"

Marlin chuckled. "Don't worry, they'll be delicious as always. There hasn't been a New Year's Eve celebration where your noodles have tasted horrible."

Celia's cheeks turned pink with blush. "T-thank you..." She giggled, softly. After all these years being around each other, Marlin's small compliments still made her blush with embarrassment, but he made her happy, and he made her feel good as well.

The pair arrived at the beach, where just about everyone from town was there, celebrating the end of the year, New Year's Eve. The Mayor was helping some of the new farmers by handing out Buckwheat Noodles if they didn't have any to eat, whereas everyone else was waiting for the celebration to start.

Vesta was too busy talking with Ann, Rick, and Ruby about their Buckwheat Noodle recipes to notice that Celia and Marlin had arrived with Daisy in tow.

Celia headed toward Flora, Lumina, and Muffy with Daisy in her carrier, leaving Marlin by himself standing awkwardly nearby.

"Hey Celia!" Muffy exclaimed with a smile before her eyes landed on Daisy and the bartender grinned in delight. "Is this little Daisy that you've told me so much about?~"

Celia nodded with a smile. "Yes, this is her."

"She's quite adorable, Celia," Flora said with a kind smile, hands behind her back while her blonde hair was let down in waves.

"Thank you, Flora," Celia replied, "Your hair looks so nice tonight! Why did you let it down? You should keep it down like this!" She exclaimed with a smile.

Flora's cheeks turned a light shade of pink as she looked down in embarrassment. "T-thank you. I thought I'd look nice for Carter..."

"Why don't you ask him to marry you instead of waiting for him?" Muffy huffed, hands on her hips and a pout on her face, "It may be years before he does it!"

Flora's blush turned darker. "I... don't want to rush it... and I'd rather keep it traditional... you know? To have the man propose to the woman... Plus, we still have work to be concerned about..."

Before Muffy could reply, Celia interjected, "Don't worry about it, Flora. He'll probably do it soon; it took Marlin a couple years before he proposed to me, and even when we got married, he almost got cold feet!" She giggled as she remembered her wedding day clearly with a nervous Marlin standing at the alter.

Muffy sighed in defeat. "Alright, then. You two are too patient sometimes. Griffin proposed to me quick and easy at the bar! It's simple!"

Lumina smiled. "Rock proposed to me while we were here alone; it was nice and romantic. He didn't seem uncomfortable about doing it at all."

Celia shrugged. "I don't see the problem with a late proposal as long as he loves you, in all honesty. If he respects you and treats you right, then he's probably the one you'll want to be with the rest of your life, marriage or not."

Flora nodded in agreement, as did Lumina.

Muffy pursed her lips. "I guess so..." She then turned her attention back to little Daisy, who was still sleeping in her carrier. "How is she?"

"Daisy's doing well, although the midnight feedings may drive me a little crazy at times, even if Marlin's willing to take over for a bit. I still feel bad for having him take care of her while I sleep..."

"Are you kidding me?" Muffy positioned her hands back on her hips. "She's his responsibility just as much as your's! You went into labor for a day and a half for this child, he wouldn't be able to deal with that pain!"

"I feel like I'm being lazy, though..." Celia stated with a frown marred upon her features, "I'd be willing to do it, even if it's tiring."

"If he's offering to do it, then let him," Flora stated, "Don't question it, just enjoy going back to sleep."

Celia still looked unsure, but Muffy's voice pulled Celia out of her uncertain thoughts.

"Could I hold her? Please?" Muffy pleaded with a smile as she gazed down at the infant.

"Sure, just make sure you support her head..." Celia replied as she untucked the blanket curled around Daisy and carefully plucked her daughter from the carrier, handing her over to Muffy as the girls gave an 'aw' about the little baby girl.

Unfortunately, the rustling woke up Daisy and her eyes landed on Flora, Lumina, and Muffy, not seeing Celia, who was right next to Muffy, but out of Daisy's view. Not seeing her father or mother in sight, her eyes started to tear up and soon enough, the girl began to bawl uncontrollably, because she thought her parents disappeared into thin air since she couldn't see them.

Muffy looked confused, but allowed Celia to take Daisy from her arms as Celia struggled to calm Daisy down.

"What's wrong?" Marlin asked, concerned, as he approached the group and looked down at Daisy.

"I don't know..." Celia replied, sadly, as she cradled Daisy and rocked her to and fro, "I let Muffy hold her and she started to cry."

"M-maybe I should take her home," Marlin replied, awkwardly, "The fireworks are going to begin soon and I'm gettin' a little tired myself."

Celia pursed her lips, but nodded and put Daisy back in her carrier, tucking the blanket around her. "Alright... I'll meet up with you later, OK?"

Marlin nodded as he lifted the carrier. "Got it. See ya, Celia." With that said, he began to walk off in the direction of their home.

While Marlin was walking home, he gazed down at Daisy, whom he noticed had stopped crying sometime during their walk as she looked up at him with teary eyes. "I really hope this is normal..." He muttered as he reached the house, unlocking the door and opening it as he unlocked the door, walking towards the bedroom as he set the carrier down on the floor and unwrapped the blanket, picking up Daisy from her carrier as he set her down on his and Celia's bed, taking off her winter clothing and changing her into a fresh diaper, along with her pajamas.

"No more tears, right?" Marlin asked, uncertainly, although he knew he wouldn't receive much of an answer as he talked to himself, wiping the remnants of tears off of Daisy's face, "No more cryin'..."

Later that night, a couple hours after Daisy was put into her crib for bedtime, Celia arrived home, entering the house and stripping off her winter clothing, allowing her coat to hang on the hook near the door whereas her boots went next to the door. "Marlin?" She called out, softly, as she looked into their room, seeing an exhausted Marlin asleep in bed.

She smiled at the sweet and serene scene, but the silence was quickly broken as Daisy began to wail, a signal of either a much needed feeding time or a nappy change. Celia headed over to Daisy's crib and picked her up, quickly looking into her diaper and seeing nothing, so she headed to the kitchen and prepped a bottle of formula for Daisy to drink. After testing the formula on her wrist to see if it was too warm, she put the nipple near Daisy's mouth as the child eagerly took it in her mouth and began to suckle away.

"It seems like Daddy calmed you down, huh?" Celia giggled, quietly, as she held up the bottle and Daisy's little body.

"I guess I did," Marlin replied from the doorway, smiling softly as he made his way over to his wife and child, "When I got home, she stopped cryin'." He wrapped his arms around Celia's waist and put his chin on Celia's shoulder, peering down at the child that they created. "So much like her mother."

Celia's cheeks turned pink, but she smiled, nonetheless. "But she looks so much like her father..." Celia was right - Daisy had her father's black hair and blue eyes, but her skin and hairstyle were that of her mother's - pale skin and straight hair, for the most part.

"She's an equal amount of both of us, not just me," Marlin insisted, his cheeks turning color as well, but kissed Celia's cheek to hide it, "Her personality will be like her mother's when she grows up."

"And she'll look like her father as well," Celia added, turning her head to kiss Marlin's cheek in turn.