I'm In Heaven

Cheek to Cheek

Shaky hands slowly reached over to grasp the handle of the plastic bag that patiently sat in the passenger seat. Arthritis ridden fingers painfully clutched the plastic as the old man slowly pulled himself out of his car.

Gently pushing the door closed the man shuffled his way along the sidewalk that led to his front door. Another moment passed as his shaky hand fumbled to unlock the door and as his aching knees quietly protested as he stepped inside his home and moved to the kitchen.

Setting the plastic bag on the kitchen table he flipped a light switch that illuminated the darkened room. Slowly but surely he pulled off his coat and placed it on the back of one of the wooden chairs that surrounded the moderately sized table.

The next several moments went painfully slow as he turned on the old radio and prepared his microwave dinner. Soon the microwave dinged and he placed him and his dinner down at the table. Seconds after he sat down the sounds of Fred Astaire wafted from the radio's speakers.

Heaven. . . I'm in heaven. .

The old man stiffened as he felt himself drifting to another world. Or rather an old, fond memory. His eye lids lowered for a second. When they opened he found himself in another time, another place. In his arms was a beautiful brunette. His love. His wife. He smiled to the young woman and laughed along with her as the two danced in and out of the other couples.

Both of them moved with confident grace and true happiness as they held themselves close.

Dancing cheek to cheek. .

A slow song soon began to play. A very popular one at that. Dancing Cheek to Cheek was the name. The young couple wrapped themselves around each other and their cheeks rested against the other. They slowly swayed in gentle circles just like the many couples around them. The young man closed his eyes for a moment, a large smile adorning his face.

When they opened again he found himself as an old man. A lonely man, sitting at the kitchen table in an empty room. Salty tears slowly slid down his wrinkled cheeks as the memory of his now deceased wife faded just like the song on the radio. The old man lowered his head and let the tears fall even though the song had given away to a slew of annoying and unneeded commercials.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just a one shot, inspired by The Green Mile.