Status: (this was originally titled Out of the Darkness) in progress! please leave comments/criticisms <3

A Little's Enough

the confession.

October's POV

I walked back into the house and marched over to where I had seen Mikey last. He looked up at me, startled and slightly confused as well.

"Mikes, can I talk to you?" I knew if I didn't get right to the point I was never going to have this conversation.

"We're not using pet names anymore?" He asked sarcastically.

"No, now could you be serious for a minute here? I'm not here to joke around or argue. I just want to talk to you. Could you please come with me?" I sighed in defeat. I was frustrated, but mostly with myself by this point.

"Sure, just don't try to kill me." he grinned.

I just ignored the sarcastic remark and led him out the front door onto the porch.

Once we were outside, I sat on the steps with my back to him. He hadn't entirely followed my lead when I'd sat, he just stood there awkwardly behind me.

"I want to call a truce." I breathed. I was on the verge of tears, and I really didn't want to deal with him making fun of me for it. "I'm done fighting with you all the time. The truth is that it's not who I am. It's who I pretend to be. I can't keep it up anymore." I was afraid to let him speak, so I just kept going. "Half the shit I've said to you since the day we met has all been to get you going. It's what I do. I get under people's skin. I watch the reaction, and sometimes I even thrive off it. But you, you get under my skin, and that DOESN'T happen, like ever." A few tears had started to run down my face, and I could tell that soon I would start to sound like I was crying. "I can't take my own medicine it seems, so please... Could we please just call a truce?" I turned and looked at him, to see if he was even paying attention. I didn't even care that I probably looked pathetic.

Mikey's POV

I was a bit terrified when October came storming over to me. I half expected her to scream at me, but she didn't. She actually just seemed really down. She even ignored my comment to try and get her going. I wasn't used to this October. This was the girl that I didn't think existed inside of her.

When we got outside I wasn't sure what it was that she wanted to say to me, and I wasn't sure what I should do. I just lingered behind her, while she sat down. I felt out of place. I never knew how to act around her. Usually she was so bitchy with me, and while I had found it attractive, I had started to find it tiring. I started wondering if she had a heart even. I just assumed it was something about me, and that she hated me.

I noticed a shift in her voice, from serious, to almost pleading. I was sure she was crying. That scared me, because I was horrible at dealing with people when they were upset. I also noticed that she wasn't actually giving me the chance to speak. Suddenly she stopped talking, and her head turned, her eyes burning into mine.
She was crying, and there was something in me that felt slightly responsible.

"Hey, don't cry." I said stupidly. I walked a few steps towards her and sat down beside her. "Truce. No more stupid comments. Just please, don't cry." I practically begged of her.

"Sorry, I'm probably freaking you out." She wiped at her eyes. "I'm not usually the 'cry all over a stranger' girl."

"Hey, you're totally allowed to be. I just suck at this." I raised my hands in surrender. "Is it possible for us to be civil though? I mean, with you hating me and all..." I was cut off.

"I do NOT hate you." she argued. "Like I said, sometimes it's like I.. I don't know, get off on getting under people's skin, you know? Besides, you hate me."

I did not know, but I went along with it. "Sure. But you're wrong."

"About what?" she asked, glaring at me a little. There was the attitude I was used to. It made me want to smile.

"I don't hate you. I don't know you enough to hate you. I kind of guessed that you weren't actually a total psycho bitch though, so I guess that had me frustrated." I couldn't believe we were having a civil conversation. It gave me hope though. I actually did like her, quite a bit. I wanted to know her more though. I wanted to know the girl who I had heard singing a month ago. That sad, serious girl. No I didn't want her to be sad, I just wanted her to be human. To show some vulnerability. She had a pretty sturdy wall up, and I wouldn't get to know her unless she actually let it come down a bit.

"Look, I'm sorry. For crying, and for probably scaring the hell out of you. Mostly, I'm sorry for the way I've been around you this whole time." she looked at me seriously. "I only get this high strung when I'm trying to keep myself safe."

"Safe?" I asked. "Safe from what?"

"Safe from someone who couldn't possibly reciprocate the feelings that I'm having, or at least that I think I'm having." She looked down to her feet.

It took me a few seconds to fully understand what she had just said to me. "You, like me?" I asked hesitantly hoping that I hadn't got the message wrong. That would be embarrassing.

"Please don't joke Mikey. I'm being honest with you, I need you to stay serious." she shook her head sadly.

"No, October. I mean, do you like me?" I reached out and put a hand on her shoulder. I looked at her seriously, showing I didn't mean any harm by asking her to answer.

She looked so sad, and I just wanted her to cheer up. This could be a great thing, but she was being to stubborn not answering me.

"Please, just answer my question. It can't hurt." I squeezed gently on her shoulder.

"I think that I could. It doesn't matter though. How could you possibly-"

This time I cut her off, by kissing her.