Status: Updates when I can. Sorry

Misery.

Please don't crush me, cause baby I'm a dreamer for sure.

Rayleigh's POV-

“Order whatever you would like.” John told me as we stepped up to take our turn. I ordered my favorite coffee, with an extra shot of espresso.

I’ll need it.

John ordered his drink, and paid for them both.

“Thanks.” I said, as I reached for my drink in his hand.

John pulled my drink away from my hand, “The catch is you have to actually sit, and talk to me.” He spoke, and then waited for me to agree with his terms.

I rolled my eyes, and said, “I will, promise.”

He nodded, and handed me my drink. We walked to a small round table against the wall.

“Why this table?” I asked him, glaring down at the little table.

He sat down, and stared up at me. “It’s a great spot.” He smiled. “Its far enough away from the other tables, so you could be alone. But close enough to people watch. I like to people watch.”

I slowly pulled out the chair, and sat down. “I people watch.”

He smiled widely. “There we go that’s something we have in common. What a great start.”

I shook my head, trying to hide my small smile.

“This is my usual table.” He added. “No one really sits here, beside myself. It’s a pretty beat up table. There’s a bunch of shit written all over it.” He said, looking down at the graffiti. “Nice place, weird table.”

“And there’s this weird picture right above it.”

John chuckled, shifting his eyes to the interesting painting. “It’s not that weird. Its art”

I rolled my eyes. “Not all art is good art.”

“I like it.”

“You would.”
He snapped his head over at me, and looked surprised. “You’re a feisty one.” He laughed. “I do like the painting. It’s different, different in a good way. In the way that I see it in a different way then you, and you see it differently then the man over at that table. It could be worse; it could be another picture of some stupid fruit bowl. It’s a refreshing change.”

I stared at him. I wasn’t expecting that from him. “It is just kind of off putting, for a coffee shop at least.”

He shrugged. We both silently inspected the canvas nailed to the wall. The painting was of a man and a woman. They were kissing, but with a white sheet draped over both of their faces. “They want to be together, but there is something keeping them from getting close enough.” John spoke up, still with his eyes on the wall.

I pulled my eyes away, to look at him, his thin face hidden behind his wild hair. He swung his head over, and met my eyes. His lips lifted up slightly on one side. I didn’t quite know what to say, so I didn’t say anything.

“So, tell me about yourself.” John spoke up, breaking our silence.

“Um, what do you want to know?”

He took a sip from his cup, and then licked his lips. “I don’t know,” He shrugged. “What’s your favorite color?”

I chuckled a bit, before answering. “That’s easy, blue.”

“Mine to.”

“Crazy.” I exclaimed, sarcastically.

“What are you going to school for?”

“Child psychology.”

“That’s very interesting. You must really like kids.”

Yeah,” I began. “I never use to, but I took a child development class, and that changed my mind.”

“That’s cool

After around an hour of chatting, he started to blush. And then he shyly asked, “Do you have a boyfriend?” Followed by a hushed mutter, “you probably have a boyfriend.”

I shook my head. “Nope.”

“You’re not married?”

“No, I don’t think I will ever get married.” I stated. “I’m not a big believer in love.”

"You don't believe in love?" He gasped, his jaw partially smacking against the table.

"Nope." I simply said.

"That's crazy." He exclaimed. "I mean I haven't been very lucky in love. Well, I've never been in love, but I know it exists."

"And how do you know that?"

He shrugged. "My parents. They are the happiest people I know."

I nodded, smiling at that.

“I’m guessing you have never been in love either?” He asked.

“Never have.” I smirked. “Most likely, never will.”

“I wouldn’t be so sure.” He added, and then ran his fingers through his hair. He bit his lip, looking down at the table, thinking. “Why don’t you want love?”

I paused, and thought about it. "I love the idea of love. Being just so incredibly happy with someone. I guess I do want that, but I just don't think it's something that will happen for me."

He shook his head, disappointedly. "I just don't think you should give up hope on something that you haven't even experienced yet. You're not being fair to yourself." He stopped, and took a breath. "Maybe you should just take a chance. Act on your feelings, or else you'll never know."

I just stared at him, with him staring straight back. “There is just so much potential for love to fail.”

“But you don’t know that. It could be the best thing that has ever happened to you.” He countered. “But if you don’t take a chance, then you kind of fail anyways.”

“Why risk the hurt?”

“I know you like to be alone, but that must get awfully lonely.”

I shrugged. “You kind of get used to it.”

“Why would you want to?”

I took a deep breath, “Can we stop talking about this?” I begged.

“Sorry.” He said. “How’s your coffee?” He asked changing the subject quickly.

“It’s pretty good.” I laughed, taking a sip from my cup.

“Does that mean we can do this again sometime?” He asked, smiling crookedly.

I dropped my head down, and laughed. “If I pass the test tomorrow, we can go out again.”

“On a date?” He smirked.

“Yeah.” I nodded.

John stood up, and pushed his seat in. “Lets go.”

“Where?”

“I’m taking you home now.” He announced. “You have to get home, so you can study.” He reached out for my hand, and for some reason I took it. He walked me back to my apartment, holding my hand the entire time.

“Well, I will see you in class tomorrow.” John said, letting go of my hand. “Good luck with studying, and you better pass this test.”

“I’m going to fail it on purpose.” I teased.

“Better not.” He gasped.

“Well, I’m going to go inside, so you can get that date.”


***

He struck a cord with me.

Act on your feelings, or you'll never know.

And that's what I did. I didn't want to be stuck with the "what if’s".

I took a chance on him. And he took a chance on me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey there!

So, I changed the title to just 'Misery'. I think it sounds better. Sorry that the layout was weird and didnt show the last chapter. Still not sure why that happened, but its fixed now! Also, I would really love to read some of your thoughts, so maybe leave a comment. :)

THANK YOU for the comments on the last chapter:

inmylifetime

ahoyylaneyy;

becauseiamfree


Thank you for reading :)