These Times Are So Uncertain

V

Kynna's P.O.V.

"Hello, Bill."

"Hello, Kynna. How are you?"

"Been better. You?"

"About the same."

"Your English is much better."

"Thanks."

"So, not to sound mean or anything, but why'd you call?"

"How do you feel about Tom?"

"I'm not sure."

"Please, Kynna. I need to know."

'I-I don't know. I really like him, but I can't let anything happen or I'll fall for him."

"Why do you not just 'fall for him' as you so put it?"

"Because I can't get hurt again. It would kill me."

"I'm sorry."

"Not your fault."

"Well, I had better go."

"Alright. Bye."

"Talk to you later."

This concersation stayed on my mind for a while. Finally, I called Tom's cell phone, but his voicemail picked up. I left a four-worded message ("Call me. It's Kynna.") and hung up. Two days passed before Tom called me back; I had become extremely aggravated, so I ignored it. I applied the last sweep of mascara to my eyelashes and contemplated my reflection in the mirror. As Apil would say, I looked hot with a capital "H."

"Damn, girl. Looking good."

"Thanks. You're pretty fine yourself."

She was wearing blue cotton flare pants that were tied on the side of the legs, a white baby-doll tee, and black boots. I was clad in an almost-childish tight lime jumper, a form-fitting pink t-shirt, and pink tights with black flats. Her short blonde hair was gelled into multiple spikes whereas my longer purple hair was held in dozens of my signature braids.

"Let's get going."

"Aye, aye, captain!"

Her silver Mustang was filled with loud music, and I switched out the discs when I realised it was Tokio Hotel.

"Hey! I like that song!"

"So?"

"What is going on between you and Tom?"

"Nothing, April. We're here. No comments about Tom."

"Fine."

The under-21 club was packed from wall to wall. A bar, lit up by fluorescent lights, lined one end, and it was hard to see where the people getting refreshments ended and the ones on the dance floor began. Everybody's bodies moved to the music, and I smiled at the sight of a table on the balcony overlooking the party-goers. April grabbed my hand as we went up the stairs; I heard many shouts of greetings from the others while we filed past. I sat at the empty table and leaned toward my best friend.

"Should we eat then dance, or the other way around?"

"I dunno. I'm in the dancing mood."

"Me, too."

"Let's get shakin', bacon."

The night passed in a blurry haze of bright lights, loud music, and a lot of makeup-covered faces. One male had even asked for my number by the time we left. April allowed me to drive back to my house where I got into the shower to wash the sweat and cosmetics off my body. I dressed quickly and crawled into bed. Unfortunately, my cell phone rang and caused me to jerk from a state of almost-asleep.

"M'ello?"

"Where were you?"

"Tom? It's four in the morning. What are you doing calling here?"

"Just answer my question. Where were you?"

"What does it matter?"