The Vault

Chapter IV

“Who did this to you?” Leah asked, trying to pull the girl’s hands through the metal cuffs. They came out surprisingly easy as her wrists were so thin.

The girl pointed to a door she hadn’t seen. Listening carefully, she could hear voices coming from behind the door, angry male voices. She flinched at the sound of a chair being scraped back and footsteps. Then there was more shouting, but the door stayed closed.

“Come on,” she whispered as she did the girl’s feet next, again, they slipped out easily. She wondered why the girl hadn’t escaped before.

Then she reached out to peel the tape from the girl’s mouth but the girl scuttled back into the corner, frightened, waving her arms weakly but to defend herself.

“Okay, sorry,” Leah held out her hand, and the girl took it. The girl looked too weak to stand so she lifted her up in her arms.

It was then that she saw something in the corner where the girl had been. She put the girl down before she bent over and picked it up. It was a tape recorder. Again, curiosity getting the better of her she pressed play.

“Help me, somebody, help me…” the voice played over and over. Then there was a scream, and some whimpering before the voice carried on again, crying for help.

Suddenly it all dawned upon her. The voice crying for help, the reason the girl’s arms and feet came out of the shackles so easily…

Before she had time to turn around, she felt something collide with the back of her head, and then nothing.