Sarah's Trust

you know I'm here to stay

After the conversation with Embry, Sarah found herself unwillingly believing him but still felt slightly hesitant towards him. He accepted that because despite it, she found herself allowing him to come over like he used to and spend time with her whenever he was free. It was comforting to her not to be alone in the house and she didn't quite realise how dependant she was becoming on someone else being around her whenever her parents were working.

So when she was home alone and waiting for Embry when she heard a creak, she automatically thought it was him and didn't feel uneasy. However, she soon realised it wasn't him when he didn't speak and she felt the presence in front of her.

Cautiously, she sat up a little in her seat. "Hello?" she asked, anxiety engulfing her. The person in front of her moved and she shrunk into her seat, completely helpless to do anything.

"Do you not remember me, Sarah?" the person said, allowing her to find out that they were male and someone she hadn't heard before. At least, not that she could remember.

"P-please leave me alone," she pleased, wrapping her arms around her body.

"I'm not here to harm you. Do you remember when you had your accident and a voice spoke to you?" His words seemed to stir a memory in Sarah and for a moment she was still before she hesitantly nodded. "What did the voice say?"

The question required Sarah to go into deep thought because although she remembered that a voice had spoken to her, she didn't quite remember what it said. She still felt fearful as well so trying to claim the memory back was harder than she'd liked, but in the end she frowned as she said the four words. "I will fix this."

"Now, do you know why I'm here?"

She shook her head. "I'm sorry, please, I don't know you."

"I'm here, Sarah, because I spoke those words to you. I'm here to fix this."

"What exactly is this?" she asked, not quite understanding the person's motives. The voice could have been her imagination because when she'd had her accident, she was fairly certain she'd heard a lot of things that wasn't sounding around her, like the constant ringing she had while she was lying in the road after being hit. So she didn't know what the person was even trying to hint at.

The man sat on the sofa next to her. "I can restore your sight."

His words sent a jolt of shock through her and for a moment she couldn't think straight. How would he be able to restore her sight? The doctors had already told her that it seemed to be permanent and that they wouldn't recommend an attempt at surgery because of how she had ended up becoming blind. There was maybe a chance in the far future but for now, she was going to be staying blind. Not even money could correct her sight. Once she had recovered from his words, she shook her head. He must have been joking around when he said it because there was no way one man could restore her sight, and even though the joke was very badly done, she still believed it was one. "The doctors said I would be blind for the rest of my life."

"That's the thing, Sarah. I know something that they do not. You believe in the supernatural, yes?" he asked, knowing full well that she must do because of Embry.

"Of course not," she lied, "that's silly."

The man knew that it must have been difficult for her to admit to him because Embry had said about it being a secret, but of course it wasn't a secret to him. "I know about Embry and the others being shapeshifters. I know that you know as well. But what I also know is a way to give you back your sight because I was the one who took it from you."

"W-what?" she exclaimed, bewildered at his words. This man was clearly crazy.

"Let me explain," he said. "When you were hit by the car, by rights you should have died. However, I was near to you and knew who it was that hit you. So to be nice, I...cast a spell, if you will, that placed you into a coma so that you would not die, but to do so I had to remove your spirit and find another host for it. This is where you might stop believing me. But I found an alternate universe where you'd been hit by a car as well but it was only minor and was supposed to give you an abrasion. I stopped that from happening and instead you hit the ground and gained a head injury, thus damaging you sufficiently enough to partially remove your sight. But I couldn't allow just that to happen and instead I made it so that you lost all your sight. Meeting Embry was not in my plan but it happened. However, I assume it will make your decision harder because I don't suppose you want to leave him."

Sarah had gotten lost not even halfway through his speech and was just hugging herself tightly. When was Embry going to get her? She didn't know how long she could last with this crazy man. What if he ended up hurting her or taking advantage of her because she had the disadvantage of not being able to see him and see his build, thus making her unable to try and get him out of the house. If only her mother was home.

"I don't understand you..." she muttered quietly, but he still heard.

"How about this: this isn't your reality. In your real one, you are in a coma. If you'd like to go back to that life, you'll have your sight back and the life you were supposed to have. But if you decide to go back, you must die in this one because no spirit can exist in two different realities, and although you existed in this one before the accident, that didn't have the soul you have. Now that you've contaminated your body in this reality, it must die if you are to go back to your original one."

"But.." she started

The man interrupted. "What would happen to Embry? He only exists in this reality and if you are to go back to your own reality, you will never see him again." The news shocked her and she was unable to respond. "I'll give you until tomorrow to make up your mind." With that, he was gone.

Could she really live without ever seeing Embry again? Just to get her sight back?
♠ ♠ ♠
Next chapter will be the last.