Sarah's Trust

i've got the whole world

As the weeks slowly passed, Sarah came to realise that Embry only ever turned up at her house on the days that both her parents worked, something that she found herself grateful for so that she didn't have to explain just how she'd gotten to know him. She was still nowhere near ready to go outside, and she hadn't tried to since the first time, no matter how much he told her that he wouldn't let anything happen to her if she let him take her out.

With the fact that she was blind, Sarah had taken the job of putting all the shopping away whenever her mother would go out and buy food. It was so that she would know where everything went and that she wouldn't be blindly groping around for something that was in a totally different cupboard. Her mother let her do it, happy that her daughter was getting somewhat used to getting around without her sight and actually liking the fact that she wanted to unpack everything that was brought. It made her more independent, something that she had feared would have diminished within her daughter after the accident. She wouldn't have blamed her, though, because she herself couldn't imagine what it was like to not be able to see. If there was one thing that she found herself finding out about her daughter after the accident, it was that she was brave.

On the first Tuesday of June, Sarah woke up ill which made her mother stay home from work. Even though the teenager told her that she was fine and that it was only a little headache and cold she had, her mother refused to leave her home alone just in case something happened. She would never forgive herself if she did go into work only to come home and find that her daughter was worse than she was when she'd left her. It was one thing she feared constantly.

Sarah laid on the sofa in the sitting room, blanket over her, her eyes just staring off at something on the ceiling. Her mother let her be and made her some soup in the kitchen. She heated it up and buttered some bread for her daughter to eat before she put the kettle on to make a hot drink because they were something that always helped her when she was ill so maybe it'd help her daughter as well.

She had just served the food when there was a knock at the door. She left her daughter and went to the front door, opening it to reveal Embry who looked at her in slight surprise, almost as if he didn't expect her to be the one to open the door.

"May I help you?" she asked, making him realise just where Sarah had gotten her politeness from.

He nodded. "Is Sarah in?"

Her mother looked at the boy in slight confusion. "How do you know my daughter?"

"We met down the street and I helped her back home," he explained which made her eyebrows raise. Sarah had left the house without telling them? It must have been one of the days when she was home alone, she reasoned, but even so that didn't explain why she thought to not tell them, much less why she had to find out about it from a boy whom she didn't even know the name of.

"And you are?"

"Embry Call."

She nodded at his name. "Well I'm sorry, Embry, but Sarah's not well today."

He cut her off. "Is she okay?" he asked.

"Just a cold. It should be gone by tomorrow," she explained and he nodded, feeling relieved. "If I may ask, how well do you know Sarah?"

The girl in question was still sat on the sofa, soup on the small table in front of her. She had no appetite at the moment and was just trying to listen to what was happening at the door. She knew it would be Embry who knocked because no one seemed to knock when she was home alone. But she was worried about what her mother would say because she hadn't told either of her parents that she had been letting him into the house to spend some time with him. She didn't leave him alone, but then she wouldn't know whether he took something until her parents came home, and thankfully he didn't seem to be any of the bad sort. Hopefully that'd help her when it came to explaining about him to her mother because she knew she'd have to.

Embry was a bit surprised that Sarah hadn't told her mother about him coming into their house, something that he found out about when her facial expression changed when he told her. But then he found himself being surprised by the girl more as he got to know her better as the days went on. He knew that she still didn't fully trust him, but he was still working on that and wouldn't stop until she did.

What he'd said had made Sarah's mother regard him as a nice boy. She wasn't all that thrilled that her blind daughter had been inviting him into the house without letting anyone know, but he seemed like a nice boy from what she knew so she didn't need to talk with Sarah too much about it. But she did, however, need to get to know him better.

"Well, Embry, before you even think about seeing my daughter again, both her father and I have to meet you. You must understand that since the accident we've become very protective of her," she explained to him. "So I'd like to invite you over for dinner tomorrow night. It's a time when we will both be home and then we can get to know you better so that we can decide whether we trust you with Sarah or not."

The thought of having dinner with her family made Embry happy, although it amused him slightly because he'd still end up going over to Sam and Emily's place for more food afterwards. When she knows that they'll be around for dinner, Emily tends to serve food from five until seven, making sure that they each got a decent meal between the two hours.

He nodded at her words, understanding why they were protective over her. "I'm more than happy to meet you both. I'll prove anything to you so that you can trust me with Sarah," he insisted. His words surprised her but she didn't let it show. She found herself liking the boy even more as they spoke, and she realised that he wasn't any other boy that Sarah could have met. He seemed genuinely concerned about Sarah when she said that she was ill, and he seemed willingly to do almost anything to make sure that they allowed him to continue hanging out with their daughter.

"Okay then. It's best you arrive at four so that we can talk to you before dinner is served at half past." He nodded before he turned around and walked away from the house. She watched him for a moment before she stepped back in and closed the door, turning around and heading into the sitting room. Sarah looked at her mother as she came into the room.

"Who was that?" she asked like she didn't know.

"A boy named Embry. Would you like to tell me who he is?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Watched film 4 yesterday. I liked the pack's interactions as humans and that one fight between them and the Cullens before they find out Jacob imprinted. Other than that it was terrible much like the others. So yeah, this won't contain any "vampires" in. Maybe mentions but none featured.