Sarah's Trust

you found a fool and it shows

Sarah had only picked at her muffin by the time Embry came back out from the lounge room, the other guys following after him. They all grabbed a muffin from the plate that sat on the counter and Embry took the seat next to Sarah. "You okay?" he asked as he took a bite of his muffin.

"Take me home," was her quiet reply. He swallowed his mouthful and just stared at Sarah, not quite wanting to believe that she hadn't enjoyed the time with Emily. The reason why he had wanted to introduce her to Emily was because he wanted to tell Sarah the secret. He felt that she trusted him significantly more than she originally did, and he wanted to be able to bring Sarah to Emily's whenever there were any threats around just so that he knew she was safe. Sam was there to tell him that it was natural for him to feel like that over Sarah because it was what he felt over Emily as well. Sam assured them all when it came to things that weren't sure about, mainly because he was more used to it than they were.

"I need to tell you something, Sarah."

Emily and Sam look at Embry when he said that. The others were scattered around the house, pretending that they weren't listening even though they knew what Embry was going to do right now.

She shook her head. "Embry–" she started but was cut off.

"Please, Sarah." She sighed but nodded, thinking that he was going to say something more to him. Instead she got a shock when he grabbed her hand and began leading her out of the house. She heard people following and wasn't quite sure what was going on, and for the first time in a while she felt scared. Scared because she didn't know what was going on and it was mostly because of her lack of sight, not her lack of knowledge. If she wasn't blind then she would have been able to see Embry when he said he needed to tell her something, and if she'd seen him then maybe she would have been able to know whether she should be worried about what he's about to tell him. After all, he's taking her out of the house in order to tell her something and that isn't something that can be taken calmly.

They stepped out of the house and she spoke up. "Embry, I'm scared," she admitted, feeling her heart pound in her chest. Those three words made him stop, face her and, for the first time, wrap his arm around her in a hug. Immediately she felt soothed, his arms feeling familiar around her and the warmth that she felt from him being oddly comforting to her. It was something that she associated with him as it was the one thing she knew for certain about him.

"I promised your father that I would never hurt you and I mean that. I promised you that I wouldn't leave you when you needed me, and, well, I need to tell you something that not a lot of people know so that I can fulfil the promise I made to you and the promise I made to myself," he explained to her. For a moment she thought he was going to tell her something terrible, something that would change her opinion of him. But she couldn't think of anything terrible that Embry could have to tell her, mostly because she couldn't think about Embry being anything terrible. Since she had met him, he's been sincerely sweet towards her and made a real effort to get to know her when she was quite content with not meeting him again. And now that he said all that, she couldn't get stop being worried.

He led her a little further away from the house and looked at Emily and Sam who had followed them. Emily was there for Sarah and Sam was there for both of them, but mostly because Embry had unwillingly expressed such concern about how Sarah would react that Sam might be needed to persuade him back. They all hoped that it wouldn't come to that.

When he dropped her hand, Sarah opened her mouth to say something only to be shushed by Embry. "I'll be back in a minute," he said before turning and walking away from her.

This move shocked Sarah so much that she couldn't stop herself from yelling, "Don't leave me, Embry!" Where did he need to go? She had no idea what the outside world she was surrounded by looked like so she didn't know whether there was another building next to the house or whether something was resting on the floor near by that Embry needed to get. She just knew that he had just promised not to leave him and then went and left her outside not even five minutes later.

Suddenly she felt something furry brush her fingertips and she let out a squeak when she jumped. "Oh, you have a dog?" she asked, her voice going high. "Please tell me this is a dog." When she didn't hear Embry speak but felt the furry thing move closer to her, she found herself absolutely terrified. "Embry!"

Emily stepped forward and placed a hand on her shoulder, startling the girl even more. "It's okay, Sarah. Embry's here," she soothed, feeling not too good about the girl's reaction when she learns just what the furry thing she thinks is a dog is. She didn't want to put down the girl's fear as a result of her being blind, but Emily felt strongly that her not being able to see was a big contributing fact to why she was freaking out right now and how her reaction was going to be in a minute.

"Where's Embry?" she asked Emily. Now she wished that she hadn't agreed to coming here with him, and that she should have only spent time with him in her house where she knows that she's safe and it doesn't matter whether he leaves her or not.

Daringly, Emily grasped Sarah's hand and guided it towards the muzzle of the creature, allowing it to nuzzle slightly into her hand, friendly and reassuring. "This is Embry."

"W-what?" she stuttered, confused as to how Emily could think the thing she was touching could be Embry.

"Sarah, the legends are true," Sam interrupted.

For a moment she didn't know what he was on about, but after a few seconds she realised that he was on about the legends that Embry took her to on the first time she agreed to leaving the house with him. The legends that spoke of "shapeshifters" and "cold ones" that were apparently thought to be true to the people here. She didn't pay attention to much of the legends that were spoke about, but she did listen to enough to know that they were the type of things that children got told when they were younger, which would then be told to their children so that they continued through the generations. Not that they're real or anything, hence why they're called legends. She knew that.

Sarah shook her head and took in a deep breath. "You're joking," she said flatly.

"I'm not," Sam responded. The furry thing moved away from her hand and several seconds later she felt Embry touch her on the arm. But this time she didn't feel entirely comforted by the touch.

"Embry, tell them. That wasn't you. It can't have been you. That was a dog or something and you're...well, you're human like me and everyone else," she insisted, muttering her words as if afraid that talking too loud would make her lose it.

Both men shared a look and Sam and Emily moved away from the two. Embry sighed softly. "Sarah, he was telling the truth," he told her but she just shook her head. "I'm a shapeshifter, I change into a wolf. What you were touching was me, my fur. The legends are true and it runs through Quileute blood – my blood."

"You're crazy," she whispered in horror, shaking his hand from her arm and stepping back and away from him. "I can't...how could you...I want to go home."

Embry answered quickly, hurt by her reaction. "I'll take you."

"No!" she exclaimed. "I can't. You can't...I thought...I just can't."

This was where Emily jumped in, stepping forward and telling Sarah that she would take her. This Sarah allowed but only because she wanted to get home, away from the outside and away from Embry. He was crazy, that was all she could think as Emily helped her into Embry's truck and drove her home after she got the address from Embry. When they reached her house, Sarah didn't even thank Emily before she was fumbling with the door handle and rushing from the truck. Emily watched her carefully as she felt her way up to her door, only reaching over to close the still open door when she saw that the girl made it into the house alright.

That did not go well.
♠ ♠ ♠
The scene is here. Truthfully, this was one of the reasons why I wanted to write this story as well. I wanted someone who wouldn't take the news well, and Sarah has a reason why - no sight. We judge a lot by sight and the phrase 'believing is seeing' is relevant to most of us.

And to anyone who wonders who the doctor in the beginning was, I didn't name him on purpose. If you wish, he was Dr. Cullen and that's your 'vampire' cameo in this story, or it was an original character that was the doctor and there's no 'vampires' in this story.