I Don't Believe In Faery Tales

Guys Like You Make Us Look Bad

Letting the screen door slam shut behind me I walked into the house I shared with my grandmother.

“Is that you?” Her voice called from somewhere upstairs.

Is that you? What kind of question is that? No it’s Donnie Darko, seen a grown man in a bunny suit lately?

“Yes, it’s me!” I yelled back up at her while throwing myself on the couch exhausted. You may think working at a book store would be all easy cheesy, but believe me it’s anything but. Take today for instance, some guy tried to steal one of the medium sized leafy philodendron plants we have for decoration. Not a book, but a plant. And guess who was stuck chasing the guy down and around the block? Yeah that’s right, me, Hester Alice Shea. Call me Alice, Hester is so primitive sounding.

“Well good. Now that you’re home you can run to the store and pick us up some milk. Oh and I need more of my grippy stuff for my dentures.” Grandmother said as she shakily descended the stairs.

So much for a relaxing Friday in front of the tube. Without a complaint I slipped back on the shoes I’d discarded at the door and started on the 15 minute walk to the grocery store instead of taking my car. I could use the air, besides the walk would give me some time to myself just to think.

Keller was a small town on the outskirts of a big city, so walking into the store I easily recognized about half it’s shoppers. Starting with the milk, I headed off to the back of the store to grab a gallon of skim milk, the only one Grandmother’ll drink. Just as I turned to find the next item I ran into someone, well more like a chest. A slightly pudgy chest.

“Oh, sorry about that beautiful.”

__________________________________________________________________

“It’s her, I know it is. For real this time Ada,” I pointed to the young girl who just walked into the store. We had followed her for a good 15 minutes from her house.

“But Zack, you say this about every girl. ‘She’s the one Ada, I know it.’ But time after time another girl dies,” Ada said to me as she picked at her nails.

“Look, just go tell Angelica like your supposed to. I really think she’s the one though, I can feel it,” I ordered her and followed the girl into the store.

__________________________________________________________________

I learned the mans name was Zack and he wouldn’t stop following me through the store. Don’t get me wrong, he was definitely gorgeous in a grungy feminine kind of way, but why couldn’t he just apologize for bumping into me and be on his merry little way. But of course that would just be too easy and normal for someone with my luck.
Right on my heels the man stayed and asked me questions about who I was, what I liked to eat and what my favorite color was. Can you say, gay please?
Coffee, cereal, baking supplies, I walked passed the isles until I came to the one for personal hygiene.

As if it wasn’t going to awkward enough buying the gluey substance while being followed by a stranger, I had hundred choices to choose from, which meant 99 chances to pick the wrong brand.

Tuning out Zack’s mindless questioning I finally decided on a brand and turned to leave. However before I could get out of the isle he grabbed my arm, spinning me around to face him. Close up it was a bit easy to get lost in his face, his bright green eyes and smooth ivory skin. But then I reminded myself this guy has been stalking me throughout the damn store and normal guys just don’t do that.

“What are you doing?” I finally ask, hoping he would get the hint to leave.

“I was shopping,” He stated simply as if it was such a bizarre question.

“For denture glue?”

“Uhh, maybe?” He replied, cocking his head to the side in a cute way.

“I’m not gonna stand here and play games,” I said, catching myself before I stared at him for too long. Even if he was annoying there was no denying his attractiveness.

Walking to the checkout I thought I finally lost him somewhere in the fruit section. No sooner had I walked out the automatic doors did I hear his voice screaming at me.

“Wait, wait, wait, wait!” I watched him slide in his sneakers to a stop next to me.

“I didn’t get your name,” He said with a cheeky grin.

“I didn’t give it to you, now leave me alone.” I said dryly just wanting to take a bath and catch some sleep.

“Please?” He pouted, leaning in just a bit.

Staring into his eyes I found myself replying with a simple “Alice,” Before I snapped out of it.

“Alice? Well that’s pretty. Well Alice, I’m sorry,”

“For…” I urged him to continue since I doubted he was apologizing for delaying me.

“For this,” he whispered and blew a glittery dust in my eyes. I dropped the milk and bag I was holding, causing it to bust as I went limp and fell into his chest for the second time that day.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know it's a little slow but it's get better
Let me know what you think :]