Something Wicked This Way Comes

Chapter 2 - Ignorance

Chapter 2 - Ignorance

.

.

.

.

“One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight!” shouted Cindy as she jumped up in the air then flipped into a split unto the blue mat. When her foot touched the plastic, she jumped up and moved her arms in the air then popped her hips. Her hair swished in the air and her breath was dry from shouting the counts for about an hour.

The rest of the cheerleading squad just stared at her, silently focusing on the counts and movements corresponding to them. At the moment, we were in the cold gym that instantly warmed when we moved. It was about a week before the next game and we had to learn the new cheer we had to perform there.

I eyed Cindy as she went into the next set of eight counts and mentally observed the whole thing. Honestly, it wasn’t that hard. It was fairly easy—well to someone who was a fast learner. The beats were easy to dance and cheer to and the movements fast and slow at times. Nothing was anything I could have trouble with and I smiled to that. Of course to any non-cheerleader this cheer would be suicide but to me it was pretty fun.

Cindy, still showing us the cheer/dance, stopped when she turned around after shimming into a back bend. She faces me and grins. I notice that her chest was frantically moving under her pink sports bra and bits of sweat that covered her tanned forehead.

“Kat, perform the cheer now!” she yelled and nodded her to the mat. I went forward already use to this. Cindy wasn’t easy and nice when she was in captain mode. She was very hard and focused.

I inclined my head. I was the co-captain and had to make an example. I stretched prior to this so I didn’t need to do it again. I looked at Cindy and she started to count.

“One, two, three, four,” Cindy said in a loud voice. I rolled my chest slowly on the first two counts then did a sharp turn kicking my leg up.

“Five, six, seven, eight,” I cart-wheeled then did a perfect split on the eighth count. She counted eight more times. When I heard one I turned my hips sharply yet seductively. On three, I jumped and toe-touched, coming down to run my hands through my hair as my feet stood up then came up to my other foot. At this point, Cindy added some hip-hop movements and I had fun performing them. They were really fast and sexy.

When Cindy restarted counting, I mimicked her first movements and flipped into a split. I did a couple of difficult moves again then shifted into dance. When I heard the last eight counts, I did the finale and whipped my head wildly in a slow circle as my body turned slowly. Finally, I was done and faced Cindy. She smiled at me. I breathed in relief. A smile meant that I did everything perfectly and more.

“Kat, the move you added was cute…I like it,” she said and walked over to me. We did our cute hand shake and both rotated to face the other cheerleaders. “What Kat displayed was exactly what I wanted: creativity and sharp yet curvy body movements.” Cindy blew into the whistle that hung right under her breast. “Now get into position! One, two, and three…”

Cindy continued to put us through our own personal hell for another two hours.
.
.
.
When cheerleading practice ended, Cindy looked happy at her squad and dismissed them. “Great work, girls. Just show me that kind of energy at the game. You are now dismissed and don’t forget to stretch out those muscles!” she yelled strictly. We all nodded and she walked into the lockers. I followed her and nudged her side.

“Wow, Ms. Strict,” I said. She turned to me and laughed, flipping strands of her brown hair behind her ear.

“Sorry, Ms. Sexy, but I really needed to get them to learn that this isn’t some fun thing they can do…”

I rolled my eyes but agreed with her, “I agree but was it really necessary to push them that hard today?” I asked walking over to my locker. I pulled out my towel and soap and started to strip thinking about practice. Today Cindy really pushed them hard. The squad ran fifteen laps and so many squats that I’m surprised they didn’t faint though three girls did throw-up… I shivered at the memory.

Cindy seemed to know what was on my mind because she shivered too. Soon she shrugged her shoulders talking off her sports bra, “Yeah, I think I may have worked them a bit too hard…” she said lightly.

I raised an eyebrow, “A bit too hard?”

Cindy laughed, “Ok, maybe a lot!” we both finished stripping and went into the showers. I walked to one all the way in the back and placed my light brown towel on the hanger on the side. Then I turned on the water. Cold water trailed down my body and I shivered slightly. After a few moments, the cold water shifted into hot water and I sighed in total bliss. The steam helped massage some aches in my back and felt wonderful.

After about a few minute, I remembered why I was in the shower and grabbed the soap. After lathering it on myself, I rinsed it off. I then turned off the water and wrapped the towel around me. I met up with Cindy and changed into my clothes.

She was already changed and texting. She changed into black tight jeans and a white t-shirt that clung to her body. I saw her mouth transform into a small smile and her hands rapidly tapped on the small device. I was about ninety-nine point nine percent sure that it was Ted. The brunette looked up. “Jeez, girl, how long were you in there for?”

I shrugged my shoulders, “I don’t know. I guess I just wanted stay in the hot water.” I picked up my stuff. “When is Ted coming?” I asked.

“In about two minutes.”

I took that information in and pulled on my black converse. Cindy got up from the small bench she was sitting on and we both walked out the gym. When we walked of the school warm air kissed my skin. I sighed.

Like Cindy said, Ted showed up in record’s time and we got in. Ted drove a silver mustang and loved it like it was his daughter. He never allowed us to bring food or drinks into it and had mats on the floor so we couldn’t get it dirty. I looked down at my clean finger nails. I mean seriously, how can a car be that important? Men and their vehicles…

The African American turned to us when we shut the door, “So, did you girls practice cheering this stud on?” he moved his hands up and down his body and I rolled my grey eyes. Cindy, though, smacked his chest and he gasped, faking pain.

“Babe, don’t scratch up my perfect, sexy, irresistible—”

“Ew, Ted!” I yelled jokingly. “…Non-girlfriend here!” I pouted and they both looked at me.

“Oh, looks like miss virgin here can’t take this!” they both yelled. It was weird how they did that at the same time.

I pouted again, “I’m not a virgin…” I lied. I actually was but it was embarrassing. They always teased me about it and even though I knew they were joking, I felt like I needed to prove something. Stupid, I know, but I couldn’t help but feel left out because of that tiny little fact.

Danny never pressured me but I knew he wanted it. For some reason even the thought of having sex with him made me feel guilty. I believed in sex after marriage but even if I didn’t it just felt…wrong.

I ignored the love birds in front of me and looked out the window. It was pretty dark outside. I glanced at my phone and noticed it was about seven o’clock. I bit my bottom lips and stared back out the window. Buildings whizzed past me and drops of rain slid down the window. I didn’t even notice that it was raining until now.

Still looking out the window, I thought of earlier today. More specifically, I thought of the boy. Before today, I didn’t realize he went to my school. You’d think that being at the building for four years made me know everyone but it didn’t. I wasn’t ignorant or anything, I just didn’t see him around. I tried to think back in the years but I still couldn’t recall noticing him.

Not to mention that during our little stare down, I couldn’t even get a good look at him. From where I was I knew he was dark brown hair but that was it. It was like everything else about him was blurred out.

“Kat…Katarina?”

I heard Cindy call me and looked away from the window, “Yes?”

Cindy scrunched up her eyebrows in confusion, “I have been calling you for a while now…” she said slowly. “We’re here.”

I looked out and she was right. Ted’s car was parked in front of me was my house. “Oh.” I said surprised.

She agreed slowly, “Yeah…umm...Kat, are you alright? You have been zoning out lately.”

I shook my head quickly, “No, I’m alright.” I gathered my stuff and opened the door, carefully stepping out of it. Before I went home, I hugged Ted and Cindy. I pulled back and smiled at her. Cindy smiled back but it didn’t meet her eyes.

I really look into that and shut the door. I took a deep breath and jogged to my front door. I unlocked the door and stepped in.

As soon as I entered the home, a delicious smell caressed my nose. My stomach grumbled and I looked around the room. The living room was just as I remembered: warm and homey.

The comfy room had a big black couch that took about twenty-five percent of the space. A small table was placed in front of it and a medium sized TV hung on the wall. Also, there was a huge bookshelf filled with dozens of old and contemporary novels and a beautiful rug placed beneath it all. I smiled at the sight and placed my bag on the couch.

I followed the delicious smell and walked into the kitchen. The sight that met me was laughable. There in the small area was my grandma covered head to toe in cookie dough. She had a dazed look on her face and blinked repeatedly. I had a feeling that grandpa had something to do with this.

I grandma slowly shook her head in anger and I saw her dark grey curls jump, “That stupid little piece of s—”

My eyes widened, “Grandma!” I shouted in shock. She jumped and turned around, placing her small wrinkled hand on her chest. Today her long hair was down so it reached just above her hips. A long blue gown hugged her body and no make-up was on her face. Even with that small fact, her face still held its beauty and I knew she was looker in her younger—she still was.

“Kat, dear, you can’t just pop up like that! I’m not as young as I use to be and I’m afraid that my heart can’t take that.” She said in a soft voice. I chuckled and guided my hand up and down her tiny body.

Grandma instantly knew my thoughts and pouted in anger, “George, that little piece of s—”

“Grandma!” I shouted again.

She blushed, “Sorry dear, I forgot about your young ears…”

I scoffed and rolled my eyes, “So, what did grandpa do this time?”

Grandma placed the bowl of dough on the counter beside her and sighed. “Well, I was making some cookies but he scared me. Then, he grabbed some of the dough and threw it on me!” she yelled incredulously.

I laughed to myself. Grandma then smirked at me, “But he looks way worse than me…” she said. I laughed harder. My grandparents were hilarious but very much in love. I could tell every time they just gaze into each other’s eyes. I sighed, knowing that she wanted to clean. I grabbed a rag and helped her clean. When we were done, I helped grandma with the cookies. She told me go wash up for dinner and I got out the kitchen, grabbing my stuff. I walked up to my room and collapsed unto the white queen-sized bed.

My body relaxed and I closed my eyes. I was exhausted and wanted to sleep. The desire traveled through my mind for a moment before I stomach growled. I smiled to myself and got up to go into the bathroom. I splashed water on my face from the sink and washed my hands. Then I used the bathroom. As soon as I sat on the toilet, I got this feeling and I knew my period was coming in about a week.

I groaned to myself and flushed. I reached the sink but this time just stared at my reflection. A sigh escaped my lips as I looked at myself. I looked just like my parents.

My parents died a few years ago in a tornado. They were going on their 15th anniversary and vacationed in Missouri. It was only days later when I got the phone calls. I remembered when I answered them, immediately going into denial. It lasted for about a few weeks until depression took over. I didn’t talk to my friends and my grades slipped.

By now, I was shipped to my grandparents and they treated me well but I wouldn’t talk to them. It was only until my grandma came into my room one night and gave me an old necklace of my mother’s. It was an old silver amulet. The gem was a deep amethyst and on the back was something engraved in Hebrew. I didn’t know what it said but grandma told me that at the time it didn’t matter.

She also told me that she did understand me and just slipped out the room. That was the night I knew that I couldn’t just dwell in my parent’s death.

“Honey, dinner’s ready!” shouted grandma.

I sniffled then wiped the tears that began to fall from my eyes. I didn’t feel them until I placed my finger under my chin. I grasped the amulet under my shirt and prayed to God for strength. I wasn’t religious but I did believe in him.

I walked out the bathroom and went into the dining room. Grandpa and Grandma were already there with chicken, macaroni, salad, fruits, and juice in front of them. I sat down with them.

Grandma squeezed my hand gently, “Pray, dear?”

I nodded and we all held hands, “Lord, thanks for gathering us today. Thank you for the food you have placed in front us and the souls that are here in spirit. Lord, we ask that you bless over the food. Thank you, Lord, and amen.” I opened my eyes and stuffed my face. My grandparents grinned at me and dug in.

After dinner I helped them clean up and ran into my room. I did a bit of homework before calling Danny. He picked up on the third ring.

“Hey, babe.” He said. I rolled my eyes on the name. I hated when he called me that.

I grinned at his voice, “Hey, just wanted to tell you goodnight…”

I heard him smile, “Anything else?”

I rolled my eyes again, “…and I love you.” I said.

“Love you too, babe, and goodnight.”

“Goodnight.”

We ended the call and I changed. I put on a spaghetti strap and my hello kitty shorts. With that, I closed my eyes letting sleep come to me.