Status: Currently Under Revision

Desolate Truths

Three

The aroma of smoked bacon made its way upstairs to Max’s room, awaking him from his slumber. He stretched his arms out from under the comforter and relaxed them behind his head. His thoughts immediately drifted toward the woman from last night.

Of course, the townspeople responded immediately, even as he watched her pass by the window outside. Apparently, the dog belonged to her, for it followed after her down the street and out of sight.

“Looks like Detective Max has another investigation pending,” The older gentleman chuckled as the rest of the group roared with laughter.

“You don’t want to get involved with her,” Mary clicked her tongue. “We’ve got some other pretty ladies you should meet! I know just the girl, her name’s Rebekkah and…”

Mary’s voice trailed off as Max began listening to some of the other conversation, picking up on some of the local gossip about this mysterious woman, who was indeed mysterious to everyone.

“Magda’s in a world of her own, she won’t open up to anyone.” The older gentleman’s wife shook her head. After a few moments Joe walked over from where he and Shep were standing.

“She’s really nice, don’t mind what everyone says,” Joe leaned over to mutter solely to Max. He folded his arms. “She just keeps to her own. There’s nothing wrong with her.” He defended.

Max decided he needed to learn more about Magda, even though he did not plan on staying in Belmont for long. He swung his legs from the bed to the floor, stood, and stretched again. Glancing at his iPod on the desk across from the bed, he decided to use jogging as an excuse to pass by the house on the hill. Max pulled on a t-shirt and a pair of sweatpants, grabbed his iPod, and bounded down the stairs.

Sarah stepped into the entryway as Max reached the bottom step.

“Ya must be hungry, ya slept til 8. I'm always up at 6 bright 'n early.” She gave him a flirtatious smile. “I made ya some eggs, bacon, grits, and I can whip up somethin’ else if you want. I knew the cookin’ would bring ya down.” She giggled. “Men love ma cookin’.”

“I’ll eat when I get back, I’m going for a run,” Max gestured at his iPod and the door.

“Oh,” Sarah eyed him up and down slowly. “I see. Well, grab a few pieces of bacon to go.” She beckoned Max into the kitchen with her where stacks of breakfast items were laid out in a miniature buffet style. “Please?” Sarah picked up the plate of bacon.

“Sure, I can’t pass up bacon.” Max grinned and took a few strips before rushing to the front door.

Once on the street, he placed the EarPods in and began a slow-paced run north up the hilly street.

He slowed to a stop once he reached the bottom of the property and wiped the sweat from his forehead with his shirt. The property included an extended length of farm field adjacent to the house’s yard. As he walked toward the winding driveway, he noticed the dog wandering from behind the house. She stopped, turned her ears toward Max, and sniffed the air. He glanced away toward the house, and noticed the dog lower her head and trot toward him. Reaching an open palm down, she nudged it roughly and leaned against him, apparently asking for some petting.

The dog looked toward the house, and Max followed its gaze as he saw the same woman from last night step out of the front door, pause, and then slowly began to descend the front steps. With grace she walked down the drive toward them, her dark hair and long, flowing skirt airy in the wind.

She approached him, and he could not help but beome memorized by the dark blue coloration of her eyes as she slowly blinked at him.

"Strange,” Magda muttered, glancing down at her dog now sitting between the two people.

“Pardon?” Max shifted his posture and placed his iPod into his pocket.

“Oh, it’s just that Tilly doesn’t really like people, and she seems taken to you for some reason.” She smirked, her blue eyes twinkling up at Max.

“Ah, she’s a very sweet girl.” As she heard her name, she nudged Max’s hand again, and he began rubbing the top of her head.

“My name’s Magda,” She awkwardly extended her hand, and Max took it gently. “Max.” She shifted her eyes from Max to Tilly.

“Yeah, I know, the townspeople talk… a lot.” She smirked.

“Ah, so I’m sure you know my life history, too huh? Did they research it?” Max chuckled.

“Probably, I’m sure that’s what they did when I moved here.” She grew quiet before looking into Max’s eyes.

“Would you like to go for a walk, or something? I really don’t know anything and I was just out for a run, maybe you’d like to share what you know?” He paused. “It’d be nice to hear it from someone other than the coffee shop people.” Magda smiled.

“Okay,” she stepped up next to Max, looking up at him. “Come on, Tilly!” She called, and the three began walking up the road along the farm fields.

“So, you own all this?” Max asked after a moment.

“Yes, well, I’m renting it out to a local farmer that was green with envy when I up and bought the land five years ago.”

“You live all by yourself?” Max asked as Magda paused to run her hand over some wildflowers that were growing alongside the road.

“Yes, but I have Tilly.” As she heard her name, she nuzzled next to Magda and appeared to grin.

“Just like the peace and quiet?” Max questioned, not sure if she was comfortable talking about it anymore since she remained quiet.

“I had to get away from everything,” She sighed. “I should get back, thanks for the walk.” She smiled weakly at him before turning back toward her house. Tilly glanced up at Max before following after her master.

“I’ll see you around?” Max called after her. She turned, bit her bottom lip, and nodded before continuing to walk back to her house.