Status: Currently Under Revision

Desolate Truths

Five

Much to Sheriff Mauvel's dismay, Max had him finally convinced that the team of personnel that had arrived a few hours earlier were best equipped to handle the drug exchange with the least complications, but would still appreciate participation by keeping Shep and Joe patrolled in town.

As Max sat in the passenger seat of an undercover patrol car down the road from her property, he felt an urgency and a need to protect a certain dark-haired beauty whom was unaware of an illegal and possibly dangerous interaction about to occur on her property. Everyone on the team stated the best route was to leave as little information available to the townspeople, but Max wanted her out of the house.

Three minutes later, Max managed to stealthily reach Magda's rear porch. He quietly knocked at the door, and after a few moments of silence, Tilly appeared and began barking. Nervously, Max looked around and glanced at his watch, the transaction was not planned for thirty minutes. Another moment passed before Magda appeared, startled to see Max.

"You have to come with me, no time to explain..." Max interjected before Madga was able to form any words.

"What? No, this is my house, and..."

"This is why I'm here," Max guided her into the house and closed the door, heading to the dark front room which was fortuately not illuminated with lamps yet. "Something is going down and I want you to come with me." Max peered out of the front window, searching for signs of vehicles passing.

"I don't understand, and what about Tilly?" She shook her head.

"She'll be safe, but we have to go now."

Magda threw her arm around Tilly. "No! I'm not leaving her!"

Two cars approached the edge of the property, stopping at the end of the fence.

"We have to go now." Max gently led Magda to the back, followed close behind by another.

Madga clutched Tilly's neck with one arm, and Max's waist with the other as they made their way into the darkness of the field to the squadcar he had left twenty minutes prior.

A few minutes later, they managed to arrive quickly at the opposite side of the property near the road, making their way to the car. A shocked expression crossed the man's face as a large dog bounded into the backseat of the car. As Max was guiding Magda, a car passed slowly, nearly stopping at the two, before screeching off down the road.

"What the hell kind of hairbrained idea was that?" He shouted at Max, interceeding some transmission blasting over his walkie-talkie.

"He saw me!" Magda shrieked, continuing to cling onto Tilly.

Max turned to her, "Did you recognize him?"

"I know I've seen him before." She replied quietly, her eyes darting back and forth.

Another car approached, stopping behind the vehicle.

"Wait here," Max and the man stepped away from the car, closed the doors, and walked over to the other car.

"We're in pursuit of the vehicle that you saw pass," the other driver of the vehicle stated as soon as Max and the other approached. "How soon should we set up a perimeter? We're not sure it even went down."

"Do it now," Max commanded, "we'll get them for posession." Max turned back to the car, rubbing the back of his neck.

"You coming Detective?" the driver of the second car asked.

"I'll be right there, let's go." The two hurried back to the other car as the second car made a u-turn and drove away.

Minutes later after divulging new strategic plans over phone calls, Magda spoke up in the back seat.

"What now? Am I going to go home?" Max turned around to her as they approached Sarah's bed and breakfast. As soon as they arrived, The sheriff's car pulled up behind, and Joe stepped out. Max waved Joe over as the four rushed into the house.

"I want you to stay here, and I will be back." Max lightly rubbed Magda's arm, guiding her and Tilly out of the car.

Sarah bolted from the front window as they approached the front door.

"What is this, the circus come in town?" Sarah folded her arms and glared at the small crowd accumulating. Max quickly explained Magda's need to stay for a while until Max returned, and convinced Sarah to let her in. Joe insisted he wait until Max returned, and noticing Joe's glances at Magda, he hesitantly agreed.

"I want to make sure she's safe. Both of you stay inside, I will be back," Max returned Magda's stare with a small smile, and left out the front door, followed by the other policeman.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am at a conference in New Orlean's for work, and had time to sit and rewrite and replan this story during classes. It's on my iphone, so I apologize for any mistakes I can't catch.