‹ Prequel: Love Bites

Bittersweet Memories

Let's Go to the Beach, Let's Go Get Away

I stood in Bonnie's kitchen, patiently waiting for her tea to steep. I doubt she even has it in her to drink it, but I can't think of anything else to do for her. I'll never know how it feels to watch a loved one transition, I can't put myself in her shoes. I felt incredibly sorry for her, though. Somehow she's the one who always gets hurt.

"Hey." Caroline said as she walked into the kitchen.

"How is she?"

"Upset." She sighed. "I feel horrible."

"It's not fair, ya know?" I took the tea bag and chucked it into the trash. "She's helped save Elena countless times, she's saved all of us. Not once has any of us shown our appreciation for her, and yet, she's always the one who loses somebody."

"She hasn't lost Abby, yet."

"Abby's a witch, or at least she was." I lowered my voice even more than it already was. "She has two options. She wakes up and feeds, or she dies."

"I wish there was something more I can do." Caroline said.

"You can do a lot. If Abby decides to feed, you can help her get used to all of this. Show her she doesn't have to be a monster." I said.

"You're right. So, have you heard from Klaus?"

"No, but I know he's obviously alright. I thought I'd should be here with Bonnie, I'll talk to him later." I said just as the door was being knocked on, I already knew it was Elena. I could smell her blood and hear her unsteady breathing. "I'll get it, why don't you go give Bonnie her tea?"

Caroline nodded as I went off into the foyer. I opened the door and Elena seemed a bit surprised to see me. "Hi, um, can I talk to Bonnie?"

"She doesn't want to talk to you." I said flatly.

"Savannah, can you just put our issues aside for now? Please, I have to see her."

"I'm not being cruel, I'm serious. She doesn't want to see you."

"She's always been there for me, Savannah. I just want to be there for her, please."

"You don't get it, Elena." I crossed my arms over my chest. "Everything that happened tonight, it was to save you. Every time Bonnie gets hurt, it's always because precious Elena needs protection. Just give her some time to deal with this."

Elena nodded her head, agreeing with me. She had tears in her eyes and I was getting bored of her. "You're right. Just, uh, tell her I love her? Please, Savannah."

I nodded my head before shutting the door in her face. My coldness to Elena had absolutely nothing to do with Elena and Damon. I genuinely felt horrible for Bonnie because of everything she's been through. Bonnie doesn't even want anything to do with vampires and it's not fair that she's always in the middle of somebody's war.

I stayed at Bonnie's house for a couple more hours before deciding to go home. I gave Bonnie a hug on my way out and told her I loved her. Hell, I even told her Elena loved her. Caroline decided to stay with Bonnie to help her out with Abby, which I was grateful for. When I walked into the front door, I saw an empty house with Elijah staring out the window.

"Elijah? Where is everyone? What happened?" I asked, walking over towards him. He soon turned to face me.

"My mother was right about me, about all of us." He said

"What are you talking about?"

"I'm no nobleman. When it suits my needs, I kill. Tonight I tortured an innocent."

"Elijah, Elena is far from innocent. You did what you did to save your family, to save yourself."

"My mother turned us into vampires, but we made ourselves monsters." Elijah said as he placed a hand on my shoulder. "Goodbye, Savannah."

Elijah went to walk away but I held onto his arm, preventing him from leaving just yet. He turned to look at me and I hugged him. "You're not a monster and I sincerely mean that."

Elijah left and I looked around the house to find Klaus or Rebekah. Since Elijah is leaving, I don't really expect to see Kol anywhere around here for a while. I walked into the living room to see Klaus staring at the fireplace. I came up behind him and wrapped my arms around his torso.

"I see you made it out in one piece."

"I told you there was nothing to worry about, love." Klaus said as he rested one of his hands on my arm.

"Elijah left, is Rebekah gone too?"

"I'm not sure where she is. Kol left, Finn took off with Esther. Coward."

"So now what?"

"Let's get out of town."

"I have class on Monday."

Klaus turned to face me and started laughing. "Ya know, high school chicks really are a drag. We'll leave in the morning."

"Well, I'm gonna shower and go to bed. It's been a long day. Goodnight, Niklaus."

Image


"Savannah, wake up." Klaus started shaking me awake, which I found very annoying. "Wake up, love-"

"Niklaus, if you don't get off me, I will rip your heart out." I threatened him.

"Savannah, love, you and I both know that's impossible."

I sat up in bed and glared at him when I realized what time it was. "It's 7 AM, Nik!"

"I'm aware, I haven't even gone to bed yet." Klaus said. "You still need to decide where you wanna go."

"I'd like to go back to bed for a couple hours."

Klaus stood between my legs, preventing me from laying back down. He grabbed my hands and held me in place with a smirk. "Now. Where do you want to go? Times wasting."

"Hm." I had to think it over for a few moments. Did I want to go somewhere and shop all weekend? Or did I want to be in complete relaxation? "Let's go to Tahiti."

"Tahiti, hm? Why Tahiti?" Klaus questioned.

"It's beautiful there. Sand, sun, relaxation. There's beautiful exotic Tahitian's who would make great for hybrids or food." I pulled him in a bit closer and tugged on his hair. "We can have sex on the beach and go skinny dipping."

"Let's leave right now, come on!"

I laughed and pushed Klaus away. "Give me about two hours, I have to shop."

"It's just for the weekend!" I shook my head at him, insisting shopping for our trip was a must. He got annoyed and mumbled something as he pushed himself off of me. "I'll never understand you damn bloody women..."

After showering and getting dressed, I left for Caroline's house. I was going shopping so I was going to drag her along with me. Even though it's still pretty early in the morning, she would never pass up on shopping.

"So, what's the occasion for this random shopping trip?" Caroline asked as we walked through one of our favorite stores.

"I'm going to Tahiti in a couple hours and need new swimsuits." I explained.

"So you're just now deciding to buy new swimsuits? Two hours before leaving?"

"Nik has a very spur of the moment personality. It was a last minute decision."

"Ya know, I find it pretty creepy when you call him 'Nik'." Caroline stated as she handed me a bikini. "This would look great on you."

I accepted the swimsuit for her and headed to the fitting rooms. "And why do you find that creepy?"

"Because then he seems like a real person, not the big bad Hybrid everyone is afraid of."

"Good." I smiled as I looked myself over a few times in the mirror. I decided to step out of the fitting room and get Caroline's opinion. "Good, because he's gonna be around for a while. How do I look?"

"Hot! What do you mean by a while? In the words of Klaus, do you fancy him?"

"I do." I admitted. "Before you lecture me, save it. I won't apologize for it."

"Didn't expect you to." Caroline laughed. "You already know what I think and how I feel about it, but I'll support you."

"And that's why you're my best friend, Care Bare." I smiled at her. "By the way, how's Abby?"

"She's not taking things so well. She's depressed that she can't use her powers anymore. I'm supposed to go over to her house later today to help Bonnie out with whatever she needs."

"Good, I'm glad she has you."

"Why don't you come help to? I'm sure Bonnie would appreciate it."

"I would, but I just can't." I felt extremely guilty about the whole thing. "Just with my association to Klaus, I feel as if it's partly my fault, even though it had nothing to do with me."

"I get why you feel that way, but don't blame yourself. That happened to save Elena's life, you know that. Last time I checked, you wanted nothing to do with Elena."

"You're right."

"Anyway!" Caroline perked up and changed the subject. "How's your family?"

"Oh, I'm not sure. My mother still hasn't spoken to me, dad said she isn't ready to see me. I've been normal with my dad and Amy, it's like nothing even happened. Justin sends me texts, but we're still not back to how we were." I told her. "I'm sure Rachel is going to hate me forever. We haven't spoken since that day at school."

"Give her time, she'll come around. She loves you so much, she's just really hurt."

"I hope she comes around soon." I said, as hopeful as possible. "What about you? Honestly, do you hate me?"

"I don't hate you, Savannah!" Caroline yelled, while punching me in the shoulder. "Even after everything that happened, you came back just when I needed you the most. As far as I'm concerned, that more than made up for it."

"Do you think I'm making a mistake with Klaus? Befriending his family and living with him? Sometimes, I just wonder what you all really think of me."

"Well, I can only speak for myself. Do I hate the fact that you're friends with Rebekah? Absolutely! You're mine!" That only made me laugh. It's no secret the two of them hate each other, I just know Caroline hates the fact that Rebekah and I are friends. "As for Klaus... If Klaus, of all people, is the one to make you happy then so be it! After all you've been through, you deserve it more than anyone. I just think you need to be careful with him, but at the same time, don't guard yourself too much. Ya know?"

I gave her a smile. "Words of wisdom from the wonderful Caroline Forbes."

"I try, I try."

Image


Truth is, it doesn't matter how much I guard myself. Klaus isn't like your average guy. He's not going to run away because I can't open up or accept him into my heart. He's going to do the exact opposite. He's possessive, if he really wants me, he'll stop at nothing to have me. So, instead of running away, he'll keep chipping at me until I break. But I'm not interested in falling in love again, or in evil vampire guys, no matter how much I might like him. If Klaus can actually get me to give in, then he really must be worth it.

"Oh, look, dolphins!" I yelled excitingly over the loud blades of the helicopter. We were finally flying over the waters of Tahiti, getting ready to land soon. Klaus came up behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist.

"Those are sharks, love." He grinned. "You're right. It's imperative you finish senior year."

"Shut up!" I laughed, giving him a little shove. I like us like this, enjoying each others company and cracking jokes at each other. Sure, I never get in the way of his hybrid business, but sometimes I just wish he was normal. Hell, I wish I was normal. "Are we landing soon?"

"Should be just a few more minutes." Klaus said. "I got us a bungalow over the water."

"Ya know, you'd make a great boyfriend." I teased

"Hm, ya don't say?" Klaus laughed. "I'm not worried. One day, you will be mine."

"We'll see."

When we finally landed, we stepped off the helicopter and were greeted by beautiful Tahitian women. They were handing out flowers.

"Now this is more like it." Klaus grinned at me. An obvious attempt at making me jealous. I elbowed him in the stomach and smiled. He glared at me before greeting one of the women. "Salut."

"That's not Tahitian."

"Ah, you're not so thick after all." He laughed. "Sorry, I never got around to learning Tahitian, but French works just as well. We're in French Polynesia, after all."

"I knew that, asshole!" I grabbed his hand, pulling him as far away from the women as possible. "We're not having sex!"

"So, it's true, huh? I take you on a beautiful trip to forget all about our worries back in that boring town. I'm a complete gentleman, and I get nothing? Nice guys really do finish last. No wonder I'm the bad guy."

"Oh stop." I laughed at him. "Wait...what worries?"

"Well, they're more so my worries. You have nothing to worry about, love."

"Niklaus! What aren't you telling me?" I crossed my arms over my chest, refusing to move as soon as we entered our bungalow. "Because if it's something that puts your life in danger, then it becomes my worry as well! You're a damn fool if you think otherwise."

"And why is that?" Klaus grinned as he placed his hands on mine. I knew what he was waiting for, he was looking for confirmation that I care about him. Well, he wasn't going to get it. "Well...I'm waiting."

"Don't ask questions you already know the answer to. You and I both know you're smarter than that."

He licked his lips as he smiled and turned to face me again. "look, lovely. I just want you to have a good time this weekend and not worry about anything at all. It's being taken care of, okay?"

I wasn't going to waste time fighting him about the subject. He was obvious, he wasn't gonna tell me. At least not until we got back to Mystic Falls, so I just agreed with him. "Fine."