‹ Prequel: Love Bites

Bittersweet Memories

If You Forget the Way to Go, Just Know I'm Standing Beside You

"Nice shorts." Kol said from the living room couch as I walked past him. "Even better legs, what time do they open?"

I was ignoring Kol up until that last comment was made. I turned to face him and he had a smug look on his face. "For you? Never. I know you've been sleeping for a hundred years, Kol, but that's not how you talk to women."

Kol smiled and quickly grabbed my hand. "Fancy going on a date then?"

"Ew!" I snatched my hand away. "Drop dead!"

"But I've already done that once or twice, love!" Kol yelled as I walked away from him.

I received a few texts from Caroline and returned to my bedroom with a cup of coffee in hand. Klaus didn't look very pleased, probably because of Kol's comments.

"If you want, I won't hesitate to dagger my brother again and lock him up until he learns some manners." Klaus said.

"No." I smiled. "You promised your siblings you won't do that again, remember?"

"Some promises are meant to be broken, love."

"No." I disagreed again. "Kol's harmless and I actually like him, he's entertaining to have around."

"Fine, whatever you say."

"Now, I have a question for you. Do you know a vampire named Mary Porter?"

"I do." Klaus said, taking a seat on the bed next to me. "Why do you ask?"

"Because the Salvatores, Caroline and myself have been trying to find out who created our bloodline, since we're all in the same boat. Damon told me Rose was turned by Mary Porter."

"So you're talking to Damon Salvatore now? Interesting."

"It's not like that, Nik." I told him. "He's the one who turned me in the first place, he got close to Rose during our relationship and he was my best bet. Anyway, Caroline just told me Damon and Elena left Mystic Falls to find her, so they can find out who turned her."

"You're saying the Salvatores are going to kill me once they find out who created their bloodline, granted its not me?" Klaus had a grin on his face, he knows who turned her.

"Exactly, why are you smiling?"

"Why is Caroline helping you? What about her allegiance to Elena and the greater good?"

"To put it short, if you die, Tyler dies." I told him. "So she's hoping and praying that we all come from your bloodline. Again, why the hell are you smiling?! This is serious, Niklaus!"

"Because I'm the one who turned Mary Porter. It was me who created your bloodline."

I didn't know what to say, at that moment I was just filled up with happiness. All I could do was hug him. I was relieved, for myself, Caroline, Tyler, and especially him. "Good."

"Don't tell Caroline though, not yet."

"Why not?" I asked.

"The Salvatores still possess a white oak dagger that can kill me. They're not knowing where their bloodline comes from until I have it."

"Well what the hell are you gonna do?! Elena and Damon already left to go find her, were you not listening!"

"Relax, love." Klaus gave me a smile. "I'll send Kol to kill her, he knows exactly where she is. He's bored anyway, it'll give him something to do. In the meantime, I'll pay Stefan Salvatore a visit. Speed up the process of your history teacher giving up that stake. I'll get it out of him, one way or another."

"Niklaus, please don't kill Alaric."

"No promises, sweetheart. What are you doing today?"

"I actually didn't have any plans. I might just lay around the house all day-"

"SAVANNAH! You have a visitor!" Kol yelled from downstairs. "She's very, very pretty!"

What the hell? I got downstairs before Kol got his hands on whoever came to see me. I was pretty shocked when I entered the foyer to see my sister standing there. She hasn't talked to me in weeks.

"Rachel? What are you doing here? Is everything okay?" I asked frantically.

"Everything's okay." Rachel replied. "Since we have the day off from school, I was wondering if you wanted to hang out?"

"Yeah." I smiled happily. "Of course!"

"I don't think we've met, I'm Kol, Niklaus' brother. And you are?" Kol weaseled his way right in and extended his hand.

"There's a reason why you haven't met. Her name is Rachel and she's my little sister, so don't even think about it." I said as I ushered her past him and up the stairs to my bedroom. I will break Kol's fingers off if he even thinks of trying anything.

"Very nice to meet you Rachel!" Kol yelled as we walked away from him.

"You too!" Rachel yelled as I pulled her upstairs. "He's really really hot."

"Shhh! He can hear you!" I laughed. We entered my bedroom and Rachel took a seat on my bed. "I just have to get dressed, then we can leave."

"I have no problem sticking around a bit, take your time."

"Rachel! Dad will murder me, so don't even think about it."

"Oh come on!"

"No." I said as I entered the walk in closet and began undressing. I decided on a nice sundress I haven't worn in a while, better make use of these clothes, it won't be too long before the weather turns to shit. "I mean, literally. He will probably stake me! Haven't you learned your lesson with vampire boys?"

"Look around!" Rachel laughed. "We live in Mystic Falls, this place is crawling with vampire boys. So, obviously my options are limited."

I finished getting dressed and walked back into the room. That's when Klaus walked back into the room, surprised to see my sister sitting there.

"Oh, who's this?" Klaus asked

"You haven't met my sister, this is Rachel. Rachel, this is-"

"The infamous Klaus I've heard so much about." She finished for me as she stood up from the bed. "You threatened my life once."

"Water under the bridge, love." Klaus grinned.

"Yeah." She let out a laugh.

"We're gonna go out for the day. Tell Kol I'm going to rip out his tongue." I said as we walked past him, I gave him a quick kiss on the cheek.

"What has he done now?" Klaus said as he grabbed my arm, preventing me from walking away.

"He was flirting with my sister."

"Ah, he's harmless, but I'll take care of him if you want."

"Niklaus, stop trying to throw that boy back in the box!" I laughed. "I'll take care of him myself, If I have to."

"Have it your way, love." Klaus said, showing that infamous grin and staring into my eyes. "See you later tonight."

Being under his gaze for so long was starting to overwhelm me, so much I had to look away. "Bye."

We left the house and got into my brand new car. I now drive a Range Rover, I just love the thing! It's my favorite car yet. Sure, it wasn't exactly paid for, but nobody has to know that. "Why are they all so hot? Does Klaus have more brothers?"

"Oh god." I laughed. "There was Finn, he recently died, but he wasn't anything to look at. Then there's Elijah-"

"Is he hot?!"

"Rachel!"

"Oh come on, I won't tell your boyfriend."

"He's not my boyfriend, actually. It's very complicated, but yes, Elijah is hot."

I shook my head at her as I pulled into the Mystic Grill parking lot. It almost felt like everything is going back to normal with the two of us. I hope so, because I really missed it. "And when do I get to meet this Elijah?"

"I'm not sure. He comes and goes, they all do. The only ones who really stay around are Klaus and Rebekah."

We sat down at one of the booths and the waitress brought us drinks. We started looking through the menu's when Matt walked over. This poor boy practically lives here, hardly having a day off.

"That was some performance you gave the other day." He said as he sat down next to me.

"Oh come on, I was protecting myself and my loved ones. Your loved ones too, Donovan." I told him. "Can't fault me for that."

"Don't worry, I get it." He said. "I also know you were protecting Klaus and his siblings, which is also understandable. All things considering. Anyway... haven't seen the two of you together in a while, what's up?"

"Just having some sisterly bonding." Rachel smiled at the two of us.

"That's good to hear. Whatever you guys want, its on the house."

"Thanks!" Rachel said.

"Uh. Two burgers and fries?" I asked her, she nodded in agreement.

"Anything else?"

"Two chocolate shakes. Thanks Matt." Rachel smiled at him as he walked away. Jesus, she won't stop looking at him. What the hell happened while I was gone?

"Earth to Rachel. What the hell?" I laughed

"You said no vampire boys. Clearly, Matt Donovan is the only normal one in this town."

"We already talked about this. My ex-boyfriends are off limits!"

"So I guess Tyler's out of the question." Rachel laughed.

"Tyler is half werewolf and half vampire, he's hardly normal. Besides, he's dating Caroline."

"Oh, but it's totally fine if Caroline and Elena date you exes!" Rachel made a joke then instantly regretted it. "I'm sorry! Was it too soon?"

I just gave her a small smile and brushed it off. I could admit, the thought of the two of them together didn't sit well with me, but if it happens, I guess there's nothing I can do about it.

"It's okay." I told her. "Elena and Damon aren't dating. If they happen to start dating, then so be it. Elena and I aren't exactly friends anymore anyway, so why should I care?"

"What exactly are your feelings towards Damon these days?" Rachel asked. She stared at me until I gave her an answer.

I sighed and took a deep breath, choosing my words wisely. "I can't decide if I hate him more than I care about him. But a huge part of me wants to just make him suffer...like I did."

Matt returned to the table with our food in hand. He took a seat next to me again and stole fries off my plate. Good thing he arrived when he did, I wasn't in the mood to talk about Damon. My mind did travel to the whole making him suffer ordeal though, it went back to the other night when I watched Rebekah torture him. I have to admit I was pretty jealous, envious even.

"Earth to Savannah!" Matt said waving a hand in front of my face.

"What? Huh?" I asked, coming out of my thoughts.

"I said: Rebekah wants me to go to the decade dance with her. I wanted your opinion."

"Oh, really? I'd say go with her, Rebekah's great." I smiled. "She's a sweet girl but you're gonna piss Caroline off."

"What? Why would I piss Caroline off? She's dating Tyler."

"So? Tyler has nothing to do with this. She hates Rebekah. Caroline got mad at me for agreeing with Rebekah's idea for the dance. Don't think for a second she won't get pissed for you TAKING her."

"Well, Rebekah did come to school and started to steal Caroline's thunder, so it's obvious why she doesn't like her." Rachel added.

"Exactly." I said. "Those two are too much alike, which is why Caroline doesn't like her. But yes, you should take Rebekah to the dance, Caroline will get over it."

"Okay, I will." Matt said. "She really doesn't seem as bad as everyone makes her out to be."

"She's not and you can help everyone see that." Matt smiled before getting up to wait on customers. I then turned back to Rachel to get her to talk. "So what really prompted you to come over out of the blue?"

"I actually haven't told you this, but I talk to Rebekah about you from time to time." Rachel said, popping a french fry in her mouth.

"What? How?"

"Seriously? We're on the same cheerleading squad." She said. "Anyway, we talk about you often. She made me realize that life is short and we don't always have all the time in the world. She told me you were my sister and everybody makes mistakes. When your family makes a mistake, you forgive them, because that's what family does."

"Bex is a smart girl." I smiled. "I didn't put her up to that, by the way."

"I know you didn't. You were too surprised when I showed up today. Let's just make a promise here on out to be truthful with each other always."

I nodded my head and agreed with her. "Well, then I have something to tell you. My life is kind of in danger."

"WHAT?!" Rachel yelled, I was expecting that. "You're joking. This is some sick joke. Why?"

"I wish I was joking." I started and lowered my voice before going on. "Well, it's no secret that the Salvatores and Klaus are enemies. They're looking for a way to kill him. Thing is, all vampires were created from Klaus and his siblings' bloodlines. You kill one of those original vampires, you wipe out their whole bloodline."

Rachel started closing her eyes and rubbing her temples. "Let me fucking guess, you come from his bloodline?"

I nodded my head. "Exactly. If Klaus is killed, I'm gonna die."

"Wait a minute! I thought they couldn't be killed! Why did Finn die?"

"They can only be killed by a stake made of white oak. That's the only thing in the world that can kill an original. They happen to have one of those."

"Okay, wait another minute!" Rachel remained calm the best she could. "If you come from Klaus' bloodline, then Damon must too, because he turned you. Right?"

"Correct."

"So he's just gonna kill Klaus knowing he can die too?"

"First of all, none of them know this information about where they come from, so don't repeat it. Second, I don't know. Damon is very unpredictable. He's already told me he doesn't care if it turns out he comes from Klaus' bloodline, he'll still kill him. I'm not sure if he'll go through with it."

"Ugh, you vampires are exhausting. Can we go down the street and get ice cream?"

"Of course."

We thanked Matt on the way out and headed down the street to the ice cream shop. "Can we please talk about Kol?"

"Ugh." I laughed. "What about him?"

"He's so delicious. Like, I don't think I've ever seen a guy as hot as him."

"Okay, you're disgusting and I'm gonna puke."

"Come on Savannah!" Rachel yelled. "You know he's hot."

"Yes he's attractive." I agreed. "But here's the deal, I'm gonna lay down the law right now. NO!"

"It's not like he's a stranger vampire, you're dating his brother."

"I am not dating Klaus!"

Rachel laughed and the two of us walked out of the ice cream shop. "You sure about that? It doesn't look that way to me."

"It's complicated." I told her. "Really, really complicated."

"Ooh! Let's talk about this then! How do you feel about him?"

I racked my brain at the question. How do I feel about Klaus? I don't fucking know. There's two sides to Klaus, he's very complex, that one. I feel like I can't figure him out, I never know what he's thinking. I do like him, though. The thought of actually being with him scares the shit out of me, in a very good way.

"He's special to me." I told her

"Special? That's the best you got? Come on, Savannah, be real!"

"I don't know!" I said. "I know I like him and he makes me uncomfortable in the best possible way. I also know he's diabolical and kind of crazy. My friends think he's even worse for me than Damon, they might be right. Despite all of that, I'm just..drawn to him in the strangest way."

"Well, for what it's worth. I think you guys make a cute couple." Rachel laughed. Maybe we can double date. You and Klaus, Me and Kol."

"No way, Rachel!"

Image

I spent a few more hours with Rachel before heading back home. I was actually pretty worn out from the day, so after a shower, I laid down and was pretty much ready for bed. Shortly after, Klaus came in and basically threw himself on top of me. I laughed and started to ask how his day went, but I was cut off almost immediately by his lips crashing into mine.

I was caught off guard for a moment, I'm not sure what prompted him to kiss me, but I was definitely enjoying it. I wanted to kick myself, I was swooning over him...AGAIN! When he finally pulled away, I was left breathless with a stupid smile on my face.

"What was that for?" I asked. Should I of even asked that? What is wrong with me? I am not the same person I was a few months ago. On the outside, sure. But on the inside? I'm an emotional wreck! So many feelings and I don't know what the hell to do with them!

"Because I felt like it." Klaus grinned.

I smiled at him before speaking again. "So how did today go? Do you have the stake?"

"No, I grew impatient. I sent Rebekah to get the stake, that was an hour ago. Hopefully she'll be successful."

"I hope this ends soon." I sighed.

"After I get that stake, I'm leaving town. I've grown bored of Mystic Falls, it's time to move on."

"Oh, okay." I didn't exactly know what to say, that wasn't exactly an invite to come along, although I'm not sure if I would.

"Don't look so sad, love." Klaus grinned. "I want you to come with me, of course."

"You do?" I asked, which caused him to laugh. I didn't exactly see this as a laughing matter.

"Why are you so surprised? Klaus asked. "We'll leave tomorrow. Just have to stop to collect my doppelganger and Hybrid, and we'll be on our way."

Doppelganger? Ugh! I sat up and forcefully pushed Klaus off me in the process. He seemed a little taken back by my actions, but he could tell I wasn't happy. "Elena? You wanna bring Elena with us?"

"How else do you expect me to create hybrids?" Klaus asked. "Don't think of it as Elena coming along, think of her strictly as supplies."

"You're out of your mind, Niklaus!" I screamed. "I'm not going anywhere with you if you want to bring Elena!"

"Love, you're looking at this the wrong way." He tried to take my hand, but I snatched it away. "I only want her blood."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing, though I really shouldn't of been surprised. Why didn't I see this coming? That's what Klaus has been after all along, Elena's blood. I surprised myself, I wasn't mad at the thought of being second to Elena yet again, I was mad for an entirely different reason. Despite hating Elena for everything that's happened, I couldn't even imagine watching her suffer day after day for her blood. The thought of even thinking of Elena as 'supplies' almost turned my stomach. No. I wouldn't do this, I couldn't do this.

"Why do you need to make Hybrids?" I questioned him. "Why do you still have to do this? For some false loyalty?"

"Love-"

"You have your family back, Niklaus. They love you unconditionally, they're loyal! If you have your family, why do you still feel the need to create some new fake family?"

"You don't get it-" He started, but I wouldn't let him talk.

"Oh, but I think I do." I said. "You have your siblings back, you even have me. I have been loyal to you since the day I left with you, and I know I've proved that to you. What else do you need?"

"You don't understand. Do you know how it feels to be, until recently, the only of your kind roaming the earth for a thousand years?"

"It doesn't matter what you are, Nik. Family isn't a group of individuals who have one thing in common and bow down to one person. Family is the people who love you for who you are and would do anything to protect you." I said. "But If your siblings aren't enough for you, If I'm not enough for you, then I can't go with you."

"Savannah-"

"No. My whole family is here in Mystic Falls and my friends are here as well. But if you leave, you won't be here. Regardless of my whole life being in this shitty town, I am willing to leave with you. Not out of fear, but because that's where I want to be. But not if you continue to make Hybrids."

"Tell me the truth." Klaus looked deeply into my eyes. "What are you objecting to? The fact that I want to make Hybrids? Or is it the fact that I need Elena Gilbert's blood to do it?"

"No matter how I feel about Elena, I won't watch you make her suffer everyday for the rest of her life." I said. "I'm giving you until tomorrow night to decide. It's either me, or Elena's blood."