‹ Prequel: Love Bites

Bittersweet Memories

He Said, If You Dare Come a Little Closer

I woke up in the morning feeling hungover, like I had gotten extremely wasted the night before. That wasn't the case. I was up all night, tossing and turning. I couldn't get out of my own head, I couldn't stop thinking of Klaus and all that was going on. Klaus said he cared about me, which was pretty hard to believe in the first place. Then he went on to name all of the things he likes about me. If all this was true, then why wasn't I enough for him? I don't like to admit it, but he already knows, I have these unexplainable feelings for him and I actually WANT to be wherever he is. What more could he possibly want?

I got up early in the morning and went for a long run before school. Klaus and I didn't speak at all. Even when I came back to shower, we said nothing. Well, that's not entirely true, he said good morning and I walked out to go to school. Rebekah decided to skip today, which isn't a huge shocker. I'm sure she'll be leaving with Klaus later tonight. She'll go wherever he goes, from what I've seen, she's stuck by his side for most of her life.

I sat in class zoning out most of the time. We had a sub in History, given Alaric's current state. Stefan wasn't in class either, probably dealing with something pertaining to that. My stomach was in knots for the better half of the day and I kept to myself, dreading whats to come tonight. Klaus won't pick me. He'll pick himself over everybody, he'll take Elena and continue to build his army of Hybrids. His false, loyal family he's been longing for. Good for him.

"Are you ready for the dance tonight?" Caroline said in a cheerful tone as she sat across from me at lunch.

"I don't know if I'm going, Care." I said as I played with the fries on my plate.

I got an instant frown from her, she definitely wasn't taking my shit today. "Like hell you're not going!"

"Caroline!"

"No, Savannah!" She gritted her teeth. "First, you decide with Rebekah over the theme for the dance, then you encourage Matt to TAKE her to the thing."

"Caroline, let's not make this about you." I laughed.

"Now, she's M.I.A. and I'm left decorating for this stupid dance that was her stupid idea! I need your help, you owe me!"

"Fine, fine, fine!" I yelled, becoming annoyed with her little fit. "I'll help you decorate for the dance, but I'm not going."

"What's wrong?" Caroline calmed down, I must've had it written all over my face. "What's happened?"

"Something's happened with Me and Klaus."

"Well, I'm listening. What's going on?"

"We just.." There was literally no easy way to tell her what was going on. I can't exactly tell her Klaus plans to take Elena away for her blood. "We're having some problems right now, about feelings."

"You're not sure of your feelings for him?"

"Uhh...more like I'm not sure of his feelings for me, or his intentions for that matter." I said. "I don't know. We kind of got into an argument and right now, everything's a little blurred."

"Well, what better way to take your mind off it? Come to the shitty themed dance tonight!" Caroline smiled. "Please, Savannah!"

I thought about it for a second. I might as well go, its better than waiting around on Klaus to give me an answer. "Fine, I'm going."

"Good!" Caroline said. "Now let's go meet Bonnie and Elena in the gym."

I stopped in my tracks and just stared at her. She didn't mention anything about Elena helping us, though, I guess it should of been expected. "Elena?"

"Savannah, you're my best friend in the entire world. But Elena's my friend too. Bonnie's your friend, she just happens to be Elena's friend-"

"I get it Caroline, we both share the same friends!" I yelled.

"Come on, you don't have to talk to her."

"Let's get in there before I change my mind." I rolled my eyes.

Caroline was right, it's not like I have to speak to Elena. I can just ignore her existence and pretend she isn't there. I mean, since I've been back, we've only had one conversation. That consisted of my hand being wrapped around her throat. She hasn't tried speaking to me every since, and that's just the way I liked it. Part of me wondered if she was going to the dance with Damon.

"Dare I ask if Klaus is taking you to the dance?" Bonnie asked as we worked on the tables together.

"Not sure, actually. I think I'm going solo tonight." I shrugged like it was no big deal and added a laugh. "Just promise not to treat me like a third wheel tonight."

"I'll be your date tonight, Savannah!" I heard Damon's voice behind me. "Since the wonderful Klaus is too busy to take his girlfriend."

"Drop dead, Damon." I said with a smile. "I'd rather inject vervain directly into my blood stream than go anywhere as your date."

"I missed your sass, Savannah" Damon smiled. "Always one of my favorite things about you."

"What are you even doing here, Damon?" Bonnie asked, rolling her eyes.

"Oh, he's probably looking for Elena." I cut in. "FYI, she's over there."

"Actually.." Damon grinned. "I was looking for Stefan."

"Well, he's not here." Bonnie said. "You should really stop hanging around a high school, it makes you even more creepy than normal."

"Oh Bon, you'll always be my favorite judgey little witch." Damon said before making a quick exit. I just rolled my eyes, that wasn't too painful. Although Damon and I have some unfinished business, all I can really focus on is Klaus at the moment.

"Are you okay?" Bonnie asked as soon as he left.

"Yeah." I smiled. "That wasn't as horrible as it could of been. I should of just snapped his neck, that would of shut him up much quicker."

"Somebody's been spending a bit too much time with Klaus Mikaelson." Bonnie laughed. "Besides, if you snapped his neck, he would of just laid here for a while. That wouldn't of been much fun neither."

"Good point, Bon Bon."

Image

Later that night I arrived at the dance, surprisingly, I wasn't dateless. Rebekah had completely bailed on the dance, nobody has heard from her all day. I'm not sure whats going on, but when poor Matt arrived at our house looking like a lost puppy, I decided to make him my date. I'm not too sure, but I think he might actually like Rebekah. I doubt he would admit it though, he tried to keep himself as far away from this supernatural life as possible. Key word: tries.

"Thanks for being my date tonight, Matt." I said as the two of us danced. "I would of hated looking like the lonely girl without a date."

"I guess we kind of saved each others asses." Matt laughed. "My date ditched me altogether. Can I ask why Klaus isn't here with you? Or is it just not his style, given ya know...who he is."

I started to laugh. Nobody has heard from Rebekah all day and I haven't spoken to Klaus since I left for school this morning. My guess? They're plotting their escape from Mystic Falls. I wonder how the expect to leave with Tyler and Elena. Well, Tyler of course will go willingly, since he's sired to Klaus. But Elena? That's gonna be a huge fight I don't care to witness. "It's complicated, Matty."

"So I don't even wanna know, huh?"

I shook my head, he definitely didn't wanna know. "I'm just glad I'm here with one of my oldest friends!"

"Me too!" Matt smiled. Something then caught his attention and he looked right past me. "Whoa, is that Rachel? With uh...Klaus' brother?"

My eyes widened and I quickly turned around, shocked at what I saw. Rachel walking into the dance with Kol! "Excuse me."

Matt grabbed my arm, pulling me back. "Savannah, come on. Don't embarrass her."

"Fine." I huffed. "I'll keep an eye on her though."

Soon, Bonnie and her date came over to talk to us and dance. We were having a pretty good time with each other too. Elena actually took Stefan to the dance, honest shocker there. Caroline and Tyler soon joined us, everything seemed like the good old times we used to have. I could get used to this again, I don't mind staying in Mystic Falls with my loved ones, I'm clearly not wanted elsewhere. I can graduate high school with my friends, maybe I'll even meet someone new. Well, not exactly new, everyone knows each other in Mystic Falls. But you get what I'm saying.

I eventually lost sight of Kol and Rachel and realized they have left the gym. I couldn't help myself and I had to go off looking for them. If I find them in a classroom making out or something, I might lose my mind. I know I'm not her parent and I'm supposed to be her cool older sister, but my father will be pissed if I allow this to go on. So I went out and searched for them, carefully creeping around the halls, making sure Kol won't hear me and hide.

"You look beautiful, love." Klaus appeared behind me, scaring the living shit out of me. I hate when he does that! I quickly spun around to face him, unsure of why he's even here. Is he coming to get Elena and Tyler? Or me...?

"Hi." I said, still a bit startled.

"Dare I ask what you're doing in the halls and not on the dance floor?"

"Well if you must know, I'm looking for your brother and my sister." I crossed my arms over my chest. "Somehow that little slime ball weaseled his way near her."

Klaus let out a smirk. "As I told you earlier, love, Kol is harmless."

"So.." I changed the subject. "What are you doing here?"

"Well, I was on my way out of town and had to pick up something."

I forced myself not to look at the ground, I wasn't going to show my disappointment. "Well, if you're looking for Elena, I don't know-"

Klaus then lifted my chin up slightly and gave me a smirk. "You."

"Me?" I questioned him. "Really?"

"I don't like to admit this, ya know. But you were right last night." Klaus said. "What you said about loyalty and family. My siblings and I, we've loved and protected each other since the very beginning. We've gotten into countless fights over a thousand year span, I've even put them in boxes numerous times. But we've remained loyal to each other. Always. That's what family is."

"I told you." I smirked at him.

"As for the Hybrids, maybe you're right. Maybe I don't need them. I am the most dangerous, most powerful...species." He smirked. "In the whole world. I kind of like it that way. I want people to quake in fear when they see me, because I am unlike anything they have ever encountered."

I couldn't help but laugh. He sure as hell wasn't saying this last night. "So, instead of having a whole family of Hybrids, you just want to be the only one. Simply to strike fear into people more than you already do now."

"Exactly, love." He said. "and you.."

"What about me?" I crossed my arms over my chest once more, waiting to hear what he had to say.

"I told you I genuinely cared about you and I meant it. I've been alive for a thousand years, there's so much to be said about my life...and I want you to know it all." Klaus said. "So, yes. I am leaving Mystic Falls and the only one I wish to take with me is you, Savannah. So come with me, if you dare."

"I was really hoping you'd say that." I smiled. "But first, you owe me a dance."