‹ Prequel: Love Bites

Bittersweet Memories

It Hurts, Wounds So Sore

I heard the whispers around town, everyone was talking about it. Caroline's father had died and only a handful of people knew the truth. It a nutshell, he was turned. Caroline's father refused to become the thing he hates most in the world, and I couldn't blame him. Even if he didn't hate vampires, I wouldn't wish this life on anybody.

I knew Caroline had to be gutted and devastated. All I wanted to do was go to her house and tell her everything would be okay. I'm sick of being stuck in this house, I'm sick of hiding and only going out in the middle of the night. Currently, Niklaus and Elijah, who was just undaggered today, were having a dinner with Damon and Stefan. I sat up in my bedroom and kept silent the whole time, but I heard everything.

Of course, they were talking mostly about Elena. I shouldn't be surprised though, Elena is always first in everyone's eyes. Even after my death, Elena still remains Damon's top priority. Even with Klaus, if he had to choose between me and Elena's blood, he'd choose her. It was completely nauseating listening to their conversation about her, maybe I should just turn her myself so neither of them can have their way.

I listened a while longer before I heard the front door shut and the brothers leaving. It wasn't long before I heard a knock on the door, probably letting me know it was 'safe' to come out. To my surprise, it wasn't Klaus who opened the door, but Elijah.

"How are you?" He asked as he slowly approached me.

"Fine." I said with a blank expression. I didn't understand him and his whole part in this, he seemed to have a kind and gentle soul. How on earth is he related to Klaus?

"I'm sorry."

"For what?"

"About having to hear that conversation." Elijah explained. "It must be awkward, this whole thing. It seemed like you and Damon meant a lot to each other. What are you even doing with my brother?"

"I don't know." I admitted. "I was betrayed by two people who meant everything to me. I guess I just wanted to escape the whole thing, I needed a way out. Klaus was my way out. But somehow I'm right back where I was before."

"You can leave any time you want, Savannah." Elijah said. "You don't have to stay here."

"But where would I go? I don't have anybody, all of the people I've ever cared about are right here in Mystic Falls."

"But what good are they if they believe you're dead?"

"I'm going out for a little bit." I told him. "If your brother asks, tell him not to wait up."

I was going to see Caroline. I was so sick and tired of hiding from everybody, all I wanted to do was comfort my friend in her time of need. Of course, Caroline might not want my comforting, she might even be furious with me but it was worth a shot. I arrived at her doorstep and nearly lost my nerve before knocking. I took one last deep breath before knocking three times.

I could hear Caroline sobbing from her bedroom, within seconds the sobbing was clearer and I heard her footsteps advancing to the front door. I swallowed the lump in my throat as she opened the door. All I wanted to do was throw my arms around the crying girl and tell her everything would be okay. She stared at me for a moment before punching me square in the face. I deserved that.

"SAVANNAH!" Caroline screamed before throwing her arms around my neck. I quickly returned the hug, relieved that she wasn't screaming or even kicking my ass.

"Hi." I said as if I had just seen her yesterday. "Are you okay? I'm so sorry about your father."

"What are you doing here!"

I followed her into the house and took a seat on the couch. It felt so weird being here, it's like I haven't been here in ages. "It's a long story."

"No! Tell me now! What are you doing here?" She yelled. "Damon..damon said you were dead!"

"That's because he believes I'm dead." I answered her, prepared for the worst.

"What? Savannah, you faked your own death? But why!"

"I know it was stupid." I sighed. "But at the time, it seemed like the right thing to do. I couldn't deal with the whole Damon and Elena thing, it was all too much. I wanted Damon to feel like shit, I wanted Elena to feel guilty. It didn't cross my mind, all the devastation I caused everybody else."

"It sure didn't! Tyler cried for two weeks straight, Matt picked a fight with a very reckless Damon and almost got himself killed! Bonnie had a major guilt trip about all the fighting you've done over Damon. Me? I miss you every single day, your family is heartbroken! And to think you were alive this whole time!"

"I know..."

"Well you got what you wanted, Savannah. Damon fell off the wagon, yet again. He was reckless and violent, he was worse than any of us have ever seen him. Elena was in pieces and refused to speak to Damon. So, I hope it was all worth it."

"I'm sorry." I told her, I really really was. I wasn't sorry for Damon, I did this partly to make him feel like shit. But I was so sorry about everyone else, I never wanted my family and friends to feel pain. "You hate me, huh?"

"No." Caroline frowned. "I could never hate you, I'm glad you're alive and still here. I'm just angry that you let us all believe you're dead."

"You can't tell anybody about this."

"Savannah! Your family-"

"I mean not yet. Nobody can know about this yet, but soon. I promise. There's so much we need to talk about, so much I need to explain to you."

"Fine. When can everyone know?"

"Soon, I promise. Just promise to keep this a secret? Please!"

"I promise."

I could tell, Caroline had so many questions she needed to ask me about this whole mess. I just wasn't ready. How do you explain to somebody that you ran off with Mystic Falls' public enemy #1? Surely she won't be too happy about it, Klaus did turn Tyler into a hybrid after all.

When I arrived home, I shut the door behind me and leaned against it. I had no time to collect my thoughts as I sensed I wasn't alone. When I opened my eyes, I saw some unfamiliar faces. Two men, who I assumed were Klaus' other brothers, and a tall earthy woman. Could she possibly be Klaus' mother?

The whole room stared at me as the woman approached me slowly. She let out a calming smile before speaking, but somehow I felt like I was going to piss myself out of fear. "Hello, dear."